All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:08 pm 

In no particular order ...
1. Keep Kirk Merritt on the final roster. Parker, Waddle, Fuller, Wilson, Hollins, and Merritt. Either keep seven receivers or trade Grant. As much as we want to run the ball, we are going to be a pass-happy team (because our OL passblocks better than it run blocks) and we need the depth at WR.
2. Put Doaks on the practice squad. He's just a guy. Same with Patrick Laird, though he helps on special teams.
3. Cut the rookie Coleman and the center Skura. There is a reason we traded for veteran OL help.
4. Keep Sinnett on the practice squad (obvious move).
5. Baker Mayfield looked really good on his first two drives. The Browns are my favorite to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. They have better balance than KC and better skill personnel, with better depth, than Buffalo.
6. We will keep four tight ends, at least. Some of them can play H-back ... would that allow us to only keep three running backs?
7. We need Jaelen Phillips to rush the passer, right away. I don't see that coming from too many other DL.
8. Pro Bowlers: Robert Hunt, Jason Sanders, Xavien Howard, Raekwon Davis
9. Most impactful rookie: Holland
10. Most improved player: Tagovailoa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:45 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

good list, I too root for the Browns but I don't think they are all that disciplined...Buffalo and Allen look to be the one to push the Chiefs in the conference....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:04 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nice list prof! I have a couple extra thoughts to some of your thoughts.

prof123 wrote:
In no particular order ...
1. Keep Kirk Merritt on the final roster. Parker, Waddle, Fuller, Wilson, Hollins, and Merritt. Either keep seven receivers or trade Grant. As much as we want to run the ball, we are going to be a pass-happy team (because our OL passblocks better than it run blocks) and we need the depth at WR

I don't see how we don't keep him. I'd hate to see Grant traded, but it's like the Ravens problem of having too much talent at one position. The only issue with our wide receivers is their health. As far as Grant, I'd much rather see Grant returning punts than Waddle following that injury last year as I'd like to see him just focus on catching passes this year.

prof123 wrote:
5. Baker Mayfield looked really good on his first two drives. The Browns are my favorite to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. They have better balance than KC and better skill personnel, with better depth, than Buffalo.

There is so much talent on that team. If they get the home field position for the playoffs, I think they can make it to the Super Bowl. And, all those Madden additions to their team hasn't hurt their cap situation at all. I'd like to know their secret to that.

prof123 wrote:
7. We need Jaelen Phillips to rush the passer, right away. I don't see that coming from too many other DL.

I haven't seen him explode much in the preseason, but everyone thinks he's going to be really good in the NFL. I hope Ogbah comes out of the gate like he did last year. He was exciting to watch, but he seemed to lose some steam the last quarter of the season. With our stout interior, and with the hopes that Wilkens can improve his pass rush, I see good production from this group.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:14 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Bills are my pick for the Super Bowl. The Browns will be in the mix, but they are still the Browns. KC has made a great team better, but I think the Bills D can make the difference. Bills vs TB….can Buffalo sack Brady early and often to make him ordinary at best? Atlanta did it for a half…

Did you guys notice that the Phins had exactly one player in the NFL top 100…..X man, who we almost lost. Isn’t that just a little sad?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:24 pm 

Phinished wrote:
The Bills are my pick for the Super Bowl. The Browns will be in the mix, but they are still the Browns. KC has made a great team better, but I think the Bills D can make the difference. Bills vs TB….can Buffalo sack Brady early and often to make him ordinary at best? Atlanta did it for a half…

What do you mean, they are "still the Browns"? Not even close. That's my point -- they are no longer those same old Browns. They have some third stringers who would start on other teams. Their skill positions on offense are dynamite, with depth. Their defensive ends are player of the year caliber. Great defensive backs. And, they are hungry. There is nothing at all about this team that says "same old Browns."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
Phinished wrote:

What do you mean, they are "still the Browns"? Not even close. That's my point -- they are no longer those same old Browns. They have some third stringers who would start on other teams. Their skill positions on offense are dynamite, with depth. Their defensive ends are player of the year caliber. Great defensive backs. And, they are hungry. There is nothing at all about this team that says "same old Browns."

They will find a way to lose the big games. It’s what they do. They had a fantastic team that never could beat Elway. even if they had to beat themselves. They have had about 10 top picks in the last decade and still are rebuilding. They are good, but my money is on Buffalo or KC. Week 1 will be an eye opener as they journey to KC. Just pencil the Bills in there, because they are just too darn good at this point not to be. All that said, if their third string are starters, well then…,Miami needs to be on the phone and soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:31 pm 

Phinished wrote:
prof123 wrote:
Phinished wrote:

They will find a way to lose the big games. It’s what they do. They had a fantastic team that never could beat Elway. even if they had to beat themselves. They have had about 10 top picks in the last decade and still are rebuilding. They are good, but my money is on Buffalo or KC. Week 1 will be an eye opener as they journey to KC. Just pencil the Bills in there, because they are just too darn good at this point not to be. All that said, if their third string are starters, well then…,Miami needs to be on the phone and soon.

I just don't believe in all that stuff (the Drive, the Fumble, the Shot) having any bearing on what happens today. They are no longer rebuilding, as evidenced by smacking the Steelers in the playoffs last year. They were pretty set going into this offseason, with just a few pieces to add (backup QB and a LB). Mostly they added quality depth. What they have done exceptionally well is draft players in the late round and develop them. They have guys like Peoples-Jones (WR) and Felton (RB) who would be starting on other teams. We'll let it all play out. This is a Dolphins board, so I'll quit talking about the Browns now. (In case anyone wonders why I've been talking up the Browns ... I grew up in Ohio and am an Indians and Cavs fan, and I've always followed the Browns closely, even while being a Dolphins fan.)

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]