All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:08 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Throwing this out there. I don't think the Texans will get 3 first round picks for him, but you never know in this "win now" league. As far as the NUMEROUS allegations against him ... where there is smoke ...

PFT wrote:
With quarterback Deshaun Watson showing up for training camp and with the NFL not instructing him to go home with pay, it’s time for the Texans to begin yelling “sell!”

That’s precisely what they’ve done, leaking to the league-owned media outlet that the team is now (and supposedly has been) willing to listen to offers for Watson. But the price, as the team has leaked to the media company it partially owns, will be high — at least three first-round draft picks “and more.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... un-watson/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:34 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Another article with more complete information from ex-Miami Herald writer Adam Beasley.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/desh ... ning-camp/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:34 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Watson would seal the deal with the rebuild as there has to be a much higher degree of confidence that Miami has re-tooled the WR and o-line positions than with Tua at QB. The combination would give Watson young talent that will be around for years. Miami should be on the phone: package Tua, X and two firsts.....three firsts would be tough to digest but if the Texans don’t want Tua (can’t blame them) nor the baggage and cost of X, then 3 firsts has to be what a franchise in the doldrums like Miami has to make happen. Miami can then try and find some taker for Tua and X.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:38 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I've read a few things on the topic but it sounds like Philly is the most aggressive suitor right now

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Would Stephen Ross really want this guy to be the face of the Franchise? He's currently facing a class action suit where over 20 women detail sexual or civil assault......criminal charges may follow. Things are only going to get worse for this guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:01 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
I've read a few things on the topic but it sounds like Philly is the most aggressive suitor right now

then Grier has to up the ante....Miami’s no. 1s should be more attractive than Philly’s....this is like an auction, and in an auction the most rich doesn’t always win, as the confidence shown, commitment to get what you want, and even some bravado makes the other guy say I can’t keep up. Just outmuscle the other guy!

With Watson on the market, they can’t let anything get in the way. Even if they have to wait a year (if there’s some suspension waiting out there.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:36 pm 

Just say no to Watson.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gosh no. No freaking way to Watson. The guy will have his day in court, or with his millions, maybe he won’t. I’ve read enough to be certain I will never root for him regardless the uniform he wears. No way 20+ women are full of crap and it’s all just some misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phin wrote:
Gosh no. No freaking way to Watson. The guy will have his day in court, or with his millions, maybe he won’t. I’ve read enough to be certain I will never root for him regardless the uniform he wears. No way 20+ women are full of crap and it’s all just some misunderstanding.

There is absolutely no doubt that he is a top 5 QB talent, but there is no way he is getting out of this mess. Right now he is trying to pay off all these women, and if he does, do you want the leader of your team to be a sexual predator?

PFT wrote:
Attorney Tony Buzbee, who represents the 22 women suing Watson, also provided a statement to ESPN on Monday.

“As of today, almost half of these women have given sworn statements to the police, and almost half have spoken to the NFL’s investigative team,” Buzbee said. “Both processes are very lengthy. We expect to provide further information to the NFL from all victims.”

Hardin reiterated his longstanding position that any settlement could not include a confidentiality provision.

“I do not want anybody to be saying that this guy paid off women to stay quiet and so, if there ever was a settlement of any kind, it would have to be public and therefore both sides, [Watson] and the women, would be able to say to the world at large whatever they wanted,” Hardin said.

“Teams are ready to jump now if the Texans would trade with them, even while all this is pending,” Hardin said. There’s no question that teams, numerous teams, are still interested. The ball is in the Texans court.”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:09 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:
jammer wrote:

then Grier has to up the ante....Miami’s no. 1s should be more attractive than Philly’s....this is like an auction, and in an auction the most rich doesn’t always win, as the confidence shown, commitment to get what you want, and even some bravado makes the other guy say I can’t keep up. Just outmuscle the other guy!

With Watson on the market, they can’t let anything get in the way. Even if they have to wait a year (if there’s some suspension waiting out there.)

Philly has two 1st Round picks next April (Theirs and Miami's) plus a 2nd Rounder that becomes a 1st if Carson Wentz plays something like 75% of the snaps for the Colts. Miami doesn't have that draft capital to compete unless they surrender 2023 picks.

Miami does have the big time player to trade in Xavien Howard. I think the best Philly could counter with is Zack Ertz (Houston will have to pony up to meet Howard's contract demands).

If Houston thinks Tua has something then a pair of 1sts and Tua is a sweeter offer than three 1st Rounders.

In the end I think Miami sticks with Tua, for better or worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:27 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quote:
[quote="Big Dave”] There is absolutely no doubt that he is a top 5 QB talent, but there is no way he is getting out of this mess. Right now he is trying to pay off all these women, and if he does, do you want the leader of your team to be a sexual predator?[/quote][/quote][/quote]

I couldn’t get the quote above from your recent post to show separately but to answer your question, from my perspective, Watson has not been found guilty of anything in any court of law or did I miss something? So, despite the impression to this point of his kinky habits, to label him a “sexual predator” may be premature and an unfair characterization.

In any event, Watson’s legal issues will work themselves out in due time. This isn’t a precedent setting case because as sad as it may sound and offensive to our senses millionaire athletes of all shapes and sizes have been involved in similar or worse off the field problems for decades and eventually everyone moves on. To assume that Watson is incorrigible is wrong, and when this plays out, Watson will be back in the NFL as a top 5 QB as you indicate and Miami needs that guy.

If Fins fans are waiting for a top 5 guy that can lead this franchise to SB level competency to walk thru their doors at any time in the foreseeable future, coming either thru the draft or waiver wire, then I have a bridge to sell.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:

Philly has two 1st Round picks next April (Theirs and Miami's) plus a 2nd Rounder that becomes a 1st if Carson Wentz plays something like 75% of the snaps for the Colts. Miami doesn't have that draft capital to compete unless they surrender 2023 picks.....
If Houston thinks Tua has something then a pair of 1sts and Tua is a sweeter offer than three 1st Rounders.

In the end I think Miami sticks with Tua, for better or worse.

It will be worse, I mean it isn’t even close, but you are right, I had forgotten about that trade Miami made to move up after they moved down, losing a ’22 pick. Still, Miami has assets that may trump that disadvantage but it will all depend on how aggressive Grier can be and what is needed, when the time comes, is for Ross to step in the fray and make it happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:43 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Ben Roethlisberger was accused of rape and kept playing.

Based on the info that was coming out I thought Watson was looking at jail time. That doesn't appear to be the case any more so to Carreramia's point, people will move on. Watson is a moneymaker for the NFL so they will work to make this go away. If this was Cam Newton, Joe Flacco or someone on the 18th green they would be forced to walk away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:52 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:
It will be worse, I mean it isn’t even close, but you are right, I had forgotten about that trade Miami made to move up after they moved down, losing a ’22 pick. Still, Miami has assets that may trump that disadvantage but it will all depend on how aggressive Grier can be and what is needed, when the time comes, is for Ross to step in the fray and make it happen.

I think Ross will defer to Grier, and Grier seems to have pushed his chips in with Tua (for this year at least).

If I'm wrong and Miami aggressively pursues Watson I think you'll see two separate deals: Multiple 1st Rounders, Xavien Howard and maybe another player to Houston for Watson and some Early Day 3 picks. Then Tua to another team for conditional picks (something similar to a 2nd Rounder becoming a 1st ie. the Wentz to Indy deal).

In a strange way, this is kind of a Brees/Rivers moment for Miami. San Diego had to pick one (and unfortunately could not trade Brees). Miami has to decide whether to take the unproven, high upside kid or the proven veteran with question marks albeit they are non-injury question marks. Can Tua become like Rivers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:15 am 

jammer wrote:

Based on the info that was coming out I thought Watson was looking at jail time. That doesn't appear to be the case any more so to Carreramia's point, people will move on. Watson is a moneymaker for the NFL so they will work to make this go away. If this was Cam Newton, Joe Flacco or someone on the 18th green they would be forced to walk away.

If it were just one or two with discrepancies shown by records and such i might tend to agree but am not so sure about 20 plus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:39 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Watson is a top 5 QB because he had one hot season?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:43 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Dirty Philly Birds.

Rich wrote:
Watson is a top 5 QB because he had one hot season?

His off-season was much, much hawter’.

Phin wrote:

It’s all just a big misunderstanding bruh…if you don’t have DWatt on speed dial than how could you really know the man?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:12 pm 

Three years with accounting for over 30 Td's a year is not bad, but I still say no.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:54 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Apples to Oranges man. I get the comparison, but there are some stark differences that matter.
Big Ben was accused by one lady of rape in a bathroom at a club. He said that it was consensual. You can argue either way as it’s his word against hers.
Watson on the other hand, has been accused by 22 women, 10 of which have gone to the police, thus far, and two of which aren’t involved in the civil litigation. It’s hard to say that it’s his word against hers, and hers and hers and hers and hers ……………
Big Ben maintained some sense of the “benefit of the doubt,” while Watson is looking like a serial predator.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:55 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

No thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:14 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I would trade Howard for him today. An oft injured greedy whiner for a chance at a franchise QB with off the field issues is a fair trade. They are both team cancers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:16 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phin wrote:
jammer wrote:

Apples to Oranges man. I get the comparison, but there are some stark differences that matter.
Big Ben was accused by one lady of rape in a bathroom at a club. He said that it was consensual. You can argue either way as it’s his word against hers.
Watson on the other hand, has been accused by 22 women, 10 of which have gone to the police, thus far, and two of which aren’t involved in the civil litigation. It’s hard to say that it’s his word against hers, and hers and hers and hers and hers ……………
Big Ben maintained some sense of the “benefit of the doubt,” while Watson is looking like a serial predator.

Not in the eyes of the NFL. I get what you're saying and I agree, but my point is that the NFL will make this go away to the extent that it won't interfere with Watson making huge money for the league...unless some undeniable piece of evidence puts him behind bars. Even then, who knows how quickly they'll attempt to move on from the story.

Maybe this is a better comparison. Mike Tyson served prison time for rape, yet boxing and big corporate knew he was an enormous money maker for them. Hollywood even cashed in on his stupidity. How many big Pay Per View fights did they all cash in on? I had actually forgotten about the Tyson rape until this conversation. Amazing that an action like that, which should define his public image, is an afterthought for so many of us because of how the media guides our brains.

Legal advisors are keeping Watson quiet right now. Something will come out to change the narrative or at least cast a level of doubt on the accusers. I just think there is too much money for the league to lose (which is a very sad statement if he is a legit assaulter).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:08 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

You guys know I put a lot of stock into what Ben Allbright says about draft, free agency, trades, etc.

Well, he raised a few eyebrows on Twitter. He was asked where Rodgers, Watson, X. Howard, and Chandler Jones would be playing Week 1. His answer - GB, Mia, Houston, ?

After practice today he liked a tweet from Dolphins Digest writer Alain Poupart which said that fans hoping Tua would light it up in practice were basically let down.

Is Tua on that short of a leash?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:57 pm 
2020 Phinfever T-Rock FFL Champ
2020 Phinfever T-Rock FFL Champ

So how can the Texans and any interested teams work out a fair trade for his services? The most fair outcome will entail conditional picks based on the number of games he’s available to play in 2021 and 2022.

The more he plays, the more/higher the picks should be. From third round up to first round in 2022 and 2023, depending on availability to play in 2021 and 2022.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... son-trade/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:06 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I'm with Jammer. At this point, given everything that is on the table, I think the Phins stick with Tua.

Barring any further setbacks from where he is at now legally, I think Watson still has a chance to have a stable and overall wealthy career somewhere in the NFL. Houston definitely seems more willing to let him go, and there is surely a team out there that is willing to take the chance.

Though he has only been in the league since 2017 and overcame that ACL tear in practice, I'd say he is on the fast track to being one of the top QBs in the league. Obviously that is something that gets proven year after year, so time will tell. But he's shown good reason, as far as on the field play goes, for a team to give up something to get him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Phin wrote:
jammer wrote:

Not in the eyes of the NFL. I get what you're saying and I agree, but my point is that the NFL will make this go away to the extent that it won't interfere with Watson making huge money for the league...unless some undeniable piece of evidence puts him behind bars. Even then, who knows how quickly they'll attempt to move on from the story.

Maybe this is a better comparison. Mike Tyson served prison time for rape, yet boxing and big corporate knew he was an enormous money maker for them. Hollywood even cashed in on his stupidity. How many big Pay Per View fights did they all cash in on? I had actually forgotten about the Tyson rape until this conversation. Amazing that an action like that, which should define his public image, is an afterthought for so many of us because of how the media guides our brains.

Legal advisors are keeping Watson quiet right now. Something will come out to change the narrative or at least cast a level of doubt on the accusers. I just think there is too much money for the league to lose (which is a very sad statement if he is a legit assaulter).

I see what your saying now.
Ya, sadly you are spot on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
You guys know I put a lot of stock into what Ben Allbright says about draft, free agency, trades, etc.

Well, he raised a few eyebrows on Twitter. He was asked where Rodgers, Watson, X. Howard, and Chandler Jones would be playing Week 1. His answer - GB, Mia, Houston, ?

After practice today he liked a tweet from Dolphins Digest writer Alain Poupart which said that fans hoping Tua would light it up in practice were basically let down.

Is Tua on that short of a leash?

Maybe with fans. I doubt with any decision makers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

For those who think this guy is getting a bum rap .... it does not look good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:10 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
For those who think this guy is getting a bum rap .... it does not look good.

He clearly mistaked her for a butt doc, your honor. If I’m his lawyer, that’s the hill I die on.

In all seriousness though, what kinda animal asks a massage therapists to go insideINSIDE of his butthole? He should’ve swallowed his pride & went to a gay bar. Miami needs to stay away. I cannot see HOU getting a ransom of draft capital for this guy…

I bet he had some fun times at Clemson. It won’t happen but if Miami is stupid enough to trade for him I hope they warn every Brazilian massage therapist with a 305 area code all the way up to Palm Beach.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:22 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
He clearly mistaked her for a butt doc, your honor. If I’m his lawyer, that’s the hill I die on.

I knew you'd like that, AFC.

:))

J/K

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
It won’t happen but if Miami is stupid enough to trade for him I hope they warn every Brazilian massage therapist with a 305 area code all the way up to Palm Beach.

I read this this morning. Looks like Tua has impressed the Dolphins enough and Watson has scared them enough to not pursue him.

PFT wrote:
The Texans want to trade quarterback Deshaun Watson. For now, however, they haven’t gotten an offer that they’re willing to accept.

The number of teams interested in Watson remains unclear. The Eagles definitely are. The Dolphins aren’t believed to be. The Broncos seem to be willing to ride with Drew Lock and Teddy Bridgewater for 2021, content to explore their options for 2022 when 2022 comes.

Per a league source, the Panthers quietly are keeping an eye on Watson.

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]