All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:31 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

....but five picks, should have been six? Just reporting the facts.....and who are Tril Williams and Nate Holley?

Can only get better from here.....

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... 44833.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:54 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
....but five picks, should have been six? Just reporting the facts.....and who are Tril Williams and Nate Holley?

Can only get better from here.....

Clearly our new defensive takeaway leaders rolling into 2021. Where is your optimism?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:12 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Is that a new record or did Brady Quinn achieve that in his one summer as the team's camp arm?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Oh no, further proof he is a bust.
Remember the first year Mahommes started and he was awful in camp and reports were he was completely lost? Ya….
Wouldn’t put too much stock in this guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:31 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

It's not raining, the sky is falling.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:08 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Not good, but I remember Mahommes being laughed at in his OTAs as he threw a bunch of INTs the year he took the starter reins. I'm sure they are glad they didn't give up on himi. The talent is there. Let's hope it translates to the pros.

Armando Salguero (Miami Herald) wrote:
And, yes, it was pouring but unfortunately as one observer noted: “Tua wasn’t looking too good before it started raining.”

But, folks, this also is part of growing up as a quarterback and as a team.

Bill Parcells often said he measured whether he had the right quarterback after a terrible game in which the quarterback played a major role in a loss. And now fans are angry, and the coaches are wary, and the locker room is looking at that quarterback sideways.

How that quarterback responds is what determines whether he’s the guy or not. If he folds, it’s over. If he can recover and take control of the huddle the next Wednesday in practice, he’s the right guy.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

This is true, but now is also the time to silence those who think you cannot get the job done. It's a new offense, OLmen are being swapped to the left side (Hunt & Kindley), and defenses are ahead of the offense at this point. Give it more time.

LOL ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:23 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
carreramia wrote:

Clearly our new defensive takeaway leaders rolling into 2021. Where is your optimism?

Who? Tril “The Thrill” Williams? Or Nate “The Snake” Holley?? Either one is a whole lot easier on the tongue than Igbonenniny, or whatever it is, and each one actually caught the ball, not of course the guy who cost us a no. 1 pick and was the one that lost this key intrasquad game by dropping the easy interception.

But imagine how many Thrill or Snake would have had instead had Tua been actually rushed during these playground scrimmages. A dozen is my over/under.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:28 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

...and to boss man Dave. Don’t we have copyright protection or something on our post titles?? Your addition makes it just too obvious, even in titles one has to have creative discretion....and given the ultra sensitivity of the subject matter had I written it that way I would have had to avoid the book depository and grassy knoll intersection here in town.....

:popcorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:33 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
...and to boss man Dave. Don’t we have copyright protection or something on our post titles?? Your addition makes it just too obvious, even in titles one has to have creative discretion....and given the ultra sensitivity of the subject matter had I written it that way I would have had to avoid the book depository and grassy knoll intersection here in town.....

:popcorn

:))

I figured you'd say that. Sometimes I add extra to the title to prevent people from starting too many threads about the same thing. If it bothers you, I can remove it from this thread.

BTW, if you can add a little more info from the article in your post it would be helpful to those who do not have access to the Miami Herald.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:34 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Same song and dance from you carreramia.
Question for you though, did youj even read what Tua had to say about it? From Wolfe's article on ESPN. or did you just take the first face value article you could find with a title of "Tua throws 5 picks in camp" and run here as fast as you could to prop up your long standing hate for him? Just a question.

I'm not saying 5 picks in camp are good, but nobody has, including Tua. But some context about what they were working on may be of some help.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:56 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
I figured you'd say that. Sometimes I add extra to the title to prevent people from starting too many threads about the same thing. If it bothers you, I can remove it from this thread.

BTW, if you can add a little more info from the article in your post it would be helpful to those who do not have access to the Miami Herald.

nahh, I’m only kidding....you run your show your way, which is working very well I might add, and I'll get out of the way.

And I tried getting quotes from the article but man, that is a hassle as the sections to copy/paste are intertwined with dumb ads or other links so it becomes a project, so time consuming that keeps me from researching all the other flaws and failures of Tua (no, no, don’t shoot! I was once again just kidding’!).

I realize the limited access to the Herald by fans but (here’s my commentary), I subscribe to the Herald and the Sun to stay informed on my former home teams in Miami (I‘m retired on the sleepy west coast of FL), plus I enjoy Dave Hyde’s columns as well as Barry Jackson....fans with interest on the Fins I wonder how they get their info, thus I think it puts them automatically at a disadvantage with me when we debate stuff....

:)

It’s like back in the Sun board years ago and Prof123 (that’s as high as he can count), will agree, that people debated stuff from games they didn’t actually see living out of the broadcast area and not forking over for NFL Tix on Direct TV, and it became a line to poke fun at them that if you “watched” the game on radio you had no idea what actually happened.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:03 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Coots wrote:
Same song and dance from you carreramia.
Question for you though, did youj even read what Tua had to say about it? From Wolfe's article on ESPN. or did you just take the first face value article you could find with a title of "Tua throws 5 picks in camp" and run here as fast as you could to prop up your long standing hate for him? Just a question.

I'm not saying 5 picks in camp are good, but nobody has, including Tua. But some context about what they were working on may be of some help.

nahh, don’t hate the kid, he seems a fine upstanding young man, lucky for any father to have his daughter meet.....

and if you want to take this seriously, yes, I read all his excu....errrr, explanations, about working on throwing into coverage...really?! How’s that “practice”? You are supposed to “AVOID” those and look elsewhere for your target, so it becomes second nature because in a real game at least one of those forced throws was a pic-six, so like Armando said in his analysis, you scramble, buy time (even with no rush that should be a walk in the park for him, right?).

C’mon, enjoy the ride. Good or bad we are so lucky that this next season is about to start and that word, “hate”....what I “hate” is the fact that this front office screwed themselves out of the top pick in 2020 by winning out meaningless games at the end of ’19 in what was supposed to be a tanking season. They would have had the choice of Burrows and Tua and Herbert. And I “hate” the fact that it seems they made a mistake in bypassing Herbert. Yes, in those areas, I do “hate” what happened. Hope I’m clear on this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:39 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:

It’s like back in the Sun board years ago and Prof123 (that’s as high as he can count), will agree, that people debated stuff from games they didn’t actually see living out of the broadcast area and not forking over for NFL Tix on Direct TV, and it became a line to poke fun at them that if you “watched” the game on radio you had no idea what actually happened.

Yeah, I remember that phrase! You always accused me of it! While I didn't "fork over" for NFL Tix, I did always find my way to some illegal internet site to watch. I was always a few minutes behind, so I had to avoid your rants on the board telling me what happened before I saw it myself. I also think my computer got infected by some viruses from those sites. Those were the days ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:49 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

you got me LOL'ing.....

rants! oh how much practice I have at something I wished I didn’t....but my shrink says the Dolphins have left me no choice. I love that shrink.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Tua had a better OTA yesterday .. no interceptions and did push the ball down the field. He needs to do better still if he is to be our franchise QB, but he is still learning from the firehose.

carreramia wrote:
I realize the limited access to the Herald by fans but (here’s my commentary), I subscribe to the Herald and the Sun to stay informed on my former home teams in Miami (I‘m retired on the sleepy west coast of FL), plus I enjoy Dave Hyde’s columns as well as Barry Jackson....fans with interest on the Fins I wonder how they get their info, thus I think it puts them automatically at a disadvantage with me when we debate stuff....

I never miss blogs from 'Mando, Barry Jackson, Dave Hyde, and Joe Schad. Excellent reading by all of them as there is no fluff. Very rarely do I read anything from Omar.

carreramia wrote:

I never posted on the Sun, but I did visit other Dolphins fan forums just to keep in touch with those guys. That's how I met Rich who was Thrawn at the time over (I believe he had an army man avatar then). I was posting there when my site had issues and he was the nicest guy to me there. That impressed me, and when he came to post here at Phinfever I was happy to have him. Even through some of the accusations about him from other sites. I lost some of their friendship after that, but I think everyone deserves a chance to clear their name. Rich is one of the smartest guys that I know when it comes to the Dolphins.

Some of us were pretty tight. I think Twitter and Facebook have changed things and forums have taken a big hit. We used to have a lot of talk and debate here, not Finheaven busy, but good busy and active. I do post the same things on Facebook now and Twitter, but I engage only a little on facebook and never on twitter as there are too many idiots on twitter. I miss the old days where forums were more important to the fans.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:11 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Rigo always watched his games on the radio.

RIP Rigo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 am 

Big Dave wrote:
I was posting there when my site had issues and he was the nicest guy to me there.

Wait.... I was nice to someone?

:disappear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:36 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

:yay:

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
Tagovailoa followed Tuesday’s turnoverfest with six completions of 20 or more yards on Wednesday — including a 40-yard touchdown pass to Jaylen Waddle and a deep completion to Jakeem Grant — and just as importantly, not a single interception.

ESPN’s Dan Orlovsky made an interesting point: “I want him to be more aggressive downfield — they got Will Fuller, drafted Jaylen Waddle — but it’s important for the coaches down in Miami to remember what kind of player Tua is,” Orlovsky said.

“He is not a three-point shooter. He is a kill-you-with-the-midrange two-point game guy. And while everybody wants him to push the ball to those speedsters downfield, and this is the time to test that out, let’s not make him something he’s not — a big, powerful-armed guy. He is a decisive, accurate, pick-you-apart type of quarterback.“

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:26 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:

“He is not a three-point shooter. He is a kill-you-with-the-midrange two-point game guy. And while everybody wants him to push the ball to those speedsters downfield, and this is the time to test that out, let’s not make him something he’s not — a big, powerful-armed guy. He is a decisive, accurate, pick-you-apart type of quarterback."

....yawnnn! C’mon, haven’t we had THAT here for almost three decades or something now? NFL rules reward big arms, downfield philosophies, you get chunk yards, PIs downfield are given two for one for cripes sake, like BOGO's but not with Tannehill’s dink and dunk, Fiedler’s dink and dunk, Henne’s, Ferrote, Feeley, Pennington, Moore....on and on....and on....I mean, the Dolphins perfected the art of much of nothing, it’s high time that changes... a 5th overall for that?? Tank for that?? ...oh brother!

Why spend for speedsters to then bottle them up 10 yards downfield, with WR screens, end arounds, more WR screens, slants where they get killed as the ball takes for ever to get to the poor guy.....oh, forgot, flares to the RBs, three yard outs to the TE....

It’s incredible, how the spins from talking heads can take almost any position and try to make it sound like it’s a strength, just to mislead desperate fans...given time I could find dozens of columns, op-eds, analysis, that say totally the opposite.

But I’m happy for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
....yawnnn! C’mon, haven’t we had THAT here for almost three decades or something now? NFL rules reward big arms, downfield philosophies, you get chunk yards, PIs downfield are given two for one for cripes sake, like BOGO's but not with Tannehill’s dink and dunk, Fiedler’s dink and dunk, Henne’s, Ferrote, Feeley, Pennington, Moore....on and on....and on....I mean, the Dolphins perfected the art of much of nothing, it’s high time that changes... a 5th overall for that?? Tank for that?? ...oh brother!

Why spend for speedsters to then bottle them up 10 yards downfield, with WR screens, end arounds, more WR screens, slants where they get killed as the ball takes for ever to get to the poor guy.....oh, forgot, flares to the RBs, three yard outs to the TE....

What about Bob Griese, Montana, Pennington, Brady, Brees, etc? Elite arm strength is better than average arm strength, but it just isn't what matters most. What matters most are two things:
1. Football IQ (can they quickly read the defense and know where to throw the ball)
2. Accuracy

Other areas like arm strength, foot speed, grit, leadership, mobility in the pocket, height, hand size, etc. all matter, but they are secondary.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:08 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

What’s ur PhD on? It isn’t quarterbacking I tell you that.....and I know just by reading your QB excuses for the last two decades.

“Grit, hand size....”, it shoulda been funny but it came out so sad.

And I do heartily disagree with you trying to now, NOW, after all the years you suffered, like me, with completion percentages but 3 yd average/catch, dismiss the importance of arm strength.

Tell that to the Chargers.

And pls, do not compare this QB to GOATs like Brees, Brady, Montana. Griese didn’t have to pass, when he did he was a scrambling QB until Shula changed all that. He then had a running game and only threw when the mood hit him. What’s the record for the least amount of passing attempts in a SB by a winning team? We should be so lucky.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:31 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
What’s ur PhD on? It isn’t quarterbacking I tell you that.....and I know just by reading your QB excuses for the last two decades.

“Grit, hand size....”, it shoulda been funny but it came out so sad.

And I do heartily disagree with you trying to now, NOW, after all the years you suffered, like me, with completion percentages but 3 yd average/catch, dismiss the importance of arm strength.

Tell that to the Chargers.

And pls, do not compare this QB to GOATs like Brees, Brady, Montana. Griese didn’t have to pass, when he did he was a scrambling QB until Shula changed all that. He then had a running game and only threw when the mood hit him. What’s the record for the least amount of passing attempts in a SB by a winning team? We should be so lucky.

We agree about Griese. He was a smart QB on a great team. He wasn't HOF caliber, looking at the landscape of QBs over the years.

Otherwise, we disagree if you think arm strength is more important than the two factors I gave. Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and too many others to even list had huge arms that did nothing in the NFL. I didn't compare Tua to those guys -- of course it is too early to do that. My point was that one can be a great QB even with only average arm strength, and those guys are examples. I wanted us to draft Herbert, but that ship sailed, and it doesn't affect whether Tua can be successful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:23 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
we disagree if you think arm strength is more important than the two factors I gave .... of course it is too early to do that. My point was that one can be a great QB even with only average arm strength, and those guys are examples. I wanted us to draft Herbert, but that ship sailed, and it doesn't affect whether Tua can be successful.

I never ranked anything. It takes a whole lot of shi& to make a top QB and right now our guy has more blanks in that list than not.

But I will agree “it’s too early”, but we don’t have all day here, ok?

And yes, Herbert can’t keep Tua from being successful, but.....c’mon, it already feels like the Heat drafting Justin Winslow and bypassing Devin Booker. Or any of those teams in ’83 that drafted QBs and bypassed Marino. Now, before you jump down my throat, I’m not saying Herbert is a Marino but he had the best rookie year, statistically, for a QB in NFL history, and he already has a step up on many as he has his jersey in the Hall, so.....just sayin’.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:39 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
we disagree if you think arm strength is more important than the two factors I gave .... of course it is too early to do that. My point was that one can be a great QB even with only average arm strength, and those guys are examples. I wanted us to draft Herbert, but that ship sailed, and it doesn't affect whether Tua can be successful.

I never ranked anything. It takes a whole lot of shi& to make a top QB and right now our guy has more blanks in that list than not.

But I will agree “it’s too early”, but we don’t have all day here, ok?

And yes, Herbert can’t keep Tua from being successful, but.....c’mon, it already feels like the Heat drafting Justin Winslow and bypassing Devin Booker. Or any of those teams in ’83 that drafted QBs and bypassed Marino. Now, before you jump down my throat, I’m not saying Herbert is a Marino but he had the best rookie year, statistically, for a QB in NFL history, and he already has a step up on many as he has his jersey in the Hall, so.....just sayin’.

Fair enough. I can't argue with much of that, because, as I said, last year I wanted us to draft Herbert and nothing has happened since then to change my mind. But I do think Tua will be a good QB in time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:56 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Just as well, we’ll go down with the ship as it’s our destiny it seems

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
What matters most are two things:
1. Football IQ (can they quickly read the defense and know where to throw the ball)

This picture is proof of that. Brady has the football body equivalent of Betty White but the IQ of an NFL football Einstein. 7 chips to show for it.

He officially made me an admirer last season. Undeniable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
prof123 wrote:
What matters most are two things:

This picture is proof of that. Brady has the football body equivalent of Betty White but the IQ of an NFL football Einstein. 7 chips to show for it.

He officially made me an admirer last season. Undeniable.

Yep, the smartest QB to ever play the game and is blessed with longevity. I've always respected him, but I so impressed with him last year. Everyone calls him the goat, but even after the Super Bowl he was deflecting praise to his teammates. I'm a little sad that we only have greatness for just a couple more years.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]