All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Miami's approach to the RB position is a little confusing. They don't want to use a draft pick on one, but they do try to add them during the waiver process. The Dolphins feel a need to improve the other positions first through the draft.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
▪ The fact the Dolphins put in a waiver claim for former Detroit running back Kerryon Johnson, who was claimed by the Eagles, reaffirms what was suspected: The Dolphins are still looking to improve the position.

That’s why Sony Michel (New England) and Melvin Gordon (Denver) are among those worth monitoring in August. Michel isn’t assured of making the Patriots. And Gordon could become expendable if the Broncos determine that Javonte Williams is the better running back.

The Dolphins have six running backs: Myles Gaskin, Salvon Ahmed, Malcolm Brown, Patrick Laird, Jordan Scarlett and rookie Gerrid Doaks, who was back participating in drills last Friday after spending some time rehabilitating an injury.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:00 am 

The evidence is very clear. There is a much better chance of turning a late round pick of a running back into something special than there is of getting a veteran RB (via trade or FA) who lives up to high expectations.

This is league-wide, not just with the Dolphins, and there are so many examples.
K.Drake, M.Breida, J.Howard, L.Miller, J.Ajayi, (for some Fins related ones)... versus James Robinson, Miles Gaskin, and lots of others.

Kareem Hunt was an exception, but he was still very young and his issue was character, not talent.

It seems the smart thing to do would be to always draft a mid to late round RB and avoid the ones in free agency that cost a lot and don't perform any better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:17 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

prof123 wrote:
The evidence is very clear. There is a much better chance of turning a late round pick of a running back into something special than there is of getting a veteran RB (via trade or FA) who lives up to high expectations.

This is league-wide, not just with the Dolphins, and there are so many examples.
K.Drake, M.Breida, J.Howard, L.Miller, J.Ajayi, (for some Fins related ones)... versus James Robinson, Miles Gaskin, and lots of others.

Kareem Hunt was an exception, but he was still very young and his issue was character, not talent.

It seems the smart thing to do would be to always draft a mid to late round RB and avoid the ones in free agency that cost a lot and don't perform any better.

I agree in general, the exception being if you can get a guy on a reasonable one year prove-it deal that represents an upgrade. But, stay away from bidding wars and inflated contracts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:45 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'd keep my eye on D'Andre Swift. I don't think Detroit is all that enamored with him based on what I've read.

Miami was rumored to have liked him in the draft process.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:08 pm 

jammer wrote:
I'd keep my eye on D'Andre Swift. I don't think Detroit is all that enamored with him based on what I've read.

He had a few nice plays last year, but in general he was pretty quiet compared to what I expected based on his pre-draft hype. But why would a team be willing to get rid of a RB on a rookie contract if the player was worth his salary, unless there was some off-field issue, like what happened with Kareem Hunt?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:

He had a few nice plays last year, but in general he was pretty quiet compared to what I expected based on his pre-draft hype. But why would a team be willing to get rid of a RB on a rookie contract if the player was worth his salary, unless there was some off-field issue, like what happened with Kareem Hunt?

They already brought in a guy they trust more (supposedly). They can grab depth on the waiver wire or in free agency. Sounds like they are targeting Todd Gurley. Maybe they are hurting in another area where Miami has a player they can provide in a deal.

Detroit has an unproven stable of WRs and they are paying Goff a lot of money. Maybe Miami flips someone with a cheap contract (Preston Williams?) and a mid round pick? Maybe Miami gets bold and deals Gesicki for Swift and a draft pick? They just spent a 3rd Round pick on Hunter Long, extended Adam Shaheen and supposedly want Durham Smythe back. They curiously haven't extended Gesicki.

I don't think the Sony Michel clown show will be welcomed in Miami. Melvin Gordon would make sense based on stats but Miami already passed on a big free agent option for the position.

I know it sounds out of left field, but Grier continually surprises us with moves he has made.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:35 am 

jammer wrote:
prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:

They already brought in a guy they trust more (supposedly). They can grab depth on the waiver wire or in free agency. Sounds like they are targeting Todd Gurley. Maybe they are hurting in another area where Miami has a player they can provide in a deal.

Detroit has an unproven stable of WRs and they are paying Goff a lot of money. Maybe Miami flips someone with a cheap contract (Preston Williams?) and a mid round pick? Maybe Miami gets bold and deals Gesicki for Swift and a draft pick? They just spent a 3rd Round pick on Hunter Long, extended Adam Shaheen and supposedly want Durham Smythe back. They curiously haven't extended Gesicki.

I don't think the Sony Michel clown show will be welcomed in Miami. Melvin Gordon would make sense based on stats but Miami already passed on a big free agent option for the position.

I know it sounds out of left field, but Grier continually surprises us with moves he has made.

Now you're talking! I'd trade Gesicki straight up for Swift in a heartbeat. I'd like to keep Williams because his upside and cheap contract make him valuable. If Albert Wilson can prove he is recovered, he could be an asset to Detroit, albeit an expensive one. How about Gesicki and Wilson for Swift and a pick? While I like Gesicki and Wilson, the writing is on the wall for Gesicki's departure (he is going to command $10 million per year, we drafted an all-around tight end in the third round, and we now have other receivers that can replace the need for Gesicki to play a primary receiving role), and Wilson is redundant now that we have Waddle and Bowen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:
prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:

Now you're talking! I'd trade Gesicki straight up for Swift in a heartbeat. I'd like to keep Williams because his upside and cheap contract make him valuable. If Albert Wilson can prove he is recovered, he could be an asset to Detroit, albeit an expensive one. How about Gesicki and Wilson for Swift and a pick? While I like Gesicki and Wilson, the writing is on the wall for Gesicki's departure (he is going to command $10 million per year, we drafted an all-around tight end in the third round, and we now have other receivers that can replace the need for Gesicki to play a primary receiving role), and Wilson is redundant now that we have Waddle and Bowen.

I'm not on board with that. I like the thought of Gesicki and Hunter Long working together. Let's keep our own playmakers that we draft with an extension.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:48 am 

Big Dave wrote:
prof123 wrote:

I'm not on board with that. I like the thought of Gesicki and Hunter Long working together. Let's keep our own playmakers that we draft with an extension.

I do like Gesicki and I hope he has a big year. I just don't think we should spend more than $10 million per year on a one-dimensional tight end. You can only afford to pay that kind of money at a few key positions to very special players and I'm not putting him in that group. So, given, our need at RB, I'd be willing to swap him for a younger player who still has several years left on his contract. We have lots of guys who can catch the ball and not many who can run it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:13 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
I just don't think we should spend more than $10 million per year on a one-dimensional tight end. You can only afford to pay that kind of money at a few key positions to very special players and I'm not putting him in that group.

This is why you saw guys like Hunter Henry hit free agency and others (Zack Ertz) are always being mentioned on the trade block.

Gesicki has big moments, but his future in Miami is definitely uncertain with the moves Grier has made.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:52 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Sony Michel certainly has the makeup the Dolphins are looking for.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]