All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:18 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I hate seeing pros shooting hoops as I always fear them twisting their ankles. It's a great and fun way to stay in shape, too.

Post subject: Re: Xavien
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

His agent will find a way to net him more money on the football contract because of this. I’d hate to see his golf swing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:13 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Once you sign your contract, it will be leapfrogged by someone else who probably is not as good as you are. When your own team signs someone to a bigger contract than you have and you are clearly the better player ... well, then you've got problems. It makes it more difficult as X is injury prone and has missed a lot of games while making good money on the bench, too.

Omar Kelly wrote:
Xavien Howard plans to attend mandatory minicamp next week, but that doesn’t mean everything is fine with the Dolphins’ star cornerback. Howard feels like his contract needs to be addressed, considering Byron Jones, his counterpart at cornerback, will earn $16 million more than him over the course of this season and last year. The Dolphins need to avoid creating a rift between Howard and themselves they cannot mend by finding a way to alter his contract to keep him happy and productive. If that can’t be done, Howard and his camp could request a trade.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... 47048.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Byron sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:40 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Byron sucks.

I thought he played pretty decently and allowed us to blitz a lot, but he did not play as well as we had hoped. I think he will look even better after having a year in our scheme.

A little more on X.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Byron sucks.

I thought he played pretty decently and allowed us to blitz a lot, but he did not play as well as we had hoped. I think he will look even better after having a year in our scheme.

The managers of these big name, free agent defensive wide receivers make it impossible for them to outproduce or even play level to the contract. I know I’ve been on about this a couple times the last few weeks but I have a feeling Byron will be the elephant in the room once X is booted out. Byron is the home wrecker.

If I had a board of wisdom regarding free agency philosophy, buying out the most popular corner on the market may be the worst investment you can make.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
The managers of these big name, free agent defensive wide receivers make it impossible for them to outproduce or even play level to the contract. I know I’ve been on about this a couple times the last few weeks but I have a feeling Byron will be the elephant in the room once X is booted out. Byron is the home wrecker.

If I had a board of wisdom regarding free agency philosophy, buying out the most popular corner on the market may be the worst investment you can make.

I agree, East. In free agency, players go after the money and you can't blame them. If I was a player who played well with a team, I might consider taking a little less with my current team if they offered a contract to me, because, like Byron Jones, most players flourish in certain schemes and with certain players around them and do not duplicate the same success elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:23 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He did not show up to the mandatory camp. I feel bad for him...5 years 75.2 million is not enough. Poor guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
He did not show up to the mandatory camp. I feel bad for him...5 years 75.2 million is not enough. Poor guy.

More and more the reason why I flipped so heavily to boxing & MMA. These guys can get their money up while they can but it’s a mercenary culture that eats at my subconscious.

I can’t stand it. NFL free agency is one of the most backward economies in existence. I know it’s just how the game is now but I’ll never accept it. Just gotta tolerate it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Makchell wrote:

More and more the reason why I flipped so heavily to boxing & MMA. These guys can get their money up while they can but it’s a mercenary culture that eats at my subconscious.

I can’t stand it. NFL free agency is one of the most backward economies in existence. I know it’s just how the game is now but I’ll never accept it. Just gotta tolerate it.

Boxing? The sport where once the right guy becomes a champion, they prevent him from fighting real competition?

Meh.

MMA on the other hand I can agree with.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:16 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
MMA on the other hand I can agree with.

Does Jiri Prochazka ring a bell to you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:11 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Makchell wrote:

Hyde nailed it:
"From the Dolphins side, they made Howard the richest cornerback in football two years ago with a five-year, $75 million extension. They bet big on him, considering Howard played 12 games or less in three of his five previous seasons due mostly to knee injuries."

If Howard thought he was worth more than $75 million, then he shouldn't have signed that contract a year ago. He should have signed a one year extension. What doesn't he understand about signing a FIVE YEAR contract?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Maybe an increase in contract but just increase the amount of money he already gets paid to actually play in a game. I think his contract already has part of it being he gets paid so much per game played up to like half a mil or so. So just in crease that amount. If he gets hurts and does not play then no increased pay. If he plays then he gets more pay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:19 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Pride and greed is alive. Maybe he should have given some back while he was sitting out injured all those games. Igby needs to step up.

Joe Schad (Palm Beach Post) wrote:
When a practice open to the media began on Tuesday, Howard was indeed not present.

Howard has four years left on a 5-year, $75 million contract extension he agreed to in 2019. Now sixth in average annual salary for cornerbacks, Howard wants a raise.

"This is a little bit unique," Flores said. "He was extended so we're talking about a renegotiation. A very unique situation with a potential renegotiation after one year (into a new deal) so those turn into longer conversations and we understand that. We obviously have had a lot of talks."

Howard can be fined no more than $93,000 if he were to sit out the entire minicamp. It's always possible he reports on Wednesday, having sent a message, but that's unclear.

What Howard wants is simply an adjustment upwards within the context of the current contract, which runs through 2024, when he will be 31 years old. The Dolphins must weigh the salary cap as well as satisfying a player with some type of reward for his accomplishments in one unreal season against setting any type of precedent.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/spo ... 698235002/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:54 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

they already made a mistake by overpaying for Jones, don’t make another by giving this guy more money to appease him, it will only set a precedent they can’t take back.... Howard isn’t a QB, he isn’t even a top pass rusher, the top two positions on any team, but he is the type of player a team needs when they are one, two top players away from contention, but that’s not the case here in Miami, so trade his a$$, get picks and stock up for when/if Watson becomes available and if that option does not become available, have assets to trade up for QB in the draft....

let’s see how this front office performs here, one will they fold to Howard’s demands, and two, did their questionable/moronic move in the draft last year to trade down from 26 to select/reach for Igby over several available running backs, particularly Edwards-Helaire, that made a mark in 2020 prove correct....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:16 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
they already made a mistake by overpaying for Jones, don’t make another by giving this guy more money to appease him, it will only set a precedent they can’t take back.... Howard isn’t a QB, he isn’t even a top pass rusher, the top two positions on any team, but he is the type of player a team needs when they are one, two top players away from contention, but that’s not the case here in Miami, so trade his a$$, get picks and stock up for when/if Watson becomes available and if that option does not become available, have assets to trade up for QB in the draft....

let’s see how this front office performs here, one will they fold to Howard’s demands, and two, did their questionable/moronic move in the draft last year to trade down from 26 to select/reach for Igby over several available running backs, particularly Edwards-Helaire, that made a mark in 2020 prove correct....

As good as he is I see him being traded at some point. The Dolphins may push some money forward as a bonus this year, but he could be a key trading pawn next year if Tua does not look to be a franchise QB for us. And, as you mentioned Igby, he needs to show why the Dolphins loved him so much last year to draft him in the first round. Throw him out there and let him learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:38 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

To me this is the ultimate "brat" move by X.
You signed a 5 year deal, and you're 1 (one) year into it, live with it and play ball. It's not like it's a small contract either, we're talking $75 MILLION dollars. I feel real bad for the guy. *sarcasm*

I say trade him now if you can. I would hate it for defensive reasons, but for me, "no brats allowed" should be the motto.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:48 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Keep saying it. Sports agents have evolved into a cancer with these higher echelon players. It’s honestly a downer. This kinda shh is a real turnoff.

Coots wrote:
I say trade him now if you can. I would hate it for defensive reasons, but for me, "no brats allowed" should be the motto.

That old school Mike Ditka rule/mentality is out the window nowadays you know that. This guy’s agent is probably demanding he get an extra $5,000,000 just for having one or two more interceptions than the next ball hawk. Can we all agree now that having a league leading player in a stat should be nothing but trade bait for the next man up now? It’s a burden.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:21 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:

For once, I agree. They should not renegotiate. Tell him they love him, but a contract is a contract. They took a risk on an injured player, and it paid off. If he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid, right?

Unfortunately, I don't think they would get that much in a trade for him. As I've said before, to get veteran talent, you give up money or picks, but usually not both. His salary is not out of line with his production, but he is 28 and has had injury problems. I am sure someone would take him off our hands, but I doubt we could even get even a high second round pick in return.

Igby better be ready to play. What about Holland? They are making him out to be versatile and all-world. Why couldn't he play CB?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:04 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I take a 2 to move him avoid all the diva holdout BS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:32 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ridiculous. He was injured the first season and played well last season. I didn’t see him or the team ask for a pay cut the year he sat out. If it wasn’t enough money when he signed the contract then he shouldn’t have signed it. Shut up and be a man of your word. Play your contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:13 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Food for thought, but the Dolphins really didn't renegotiate their contracts. They didn't ask them to take a pay cut but fired them as they did not play up to their expectations. I think that's a little different.

Armando Salguero wrote:
But the idea that a renegotiation one year into a new contract is unique is debatable. Because the Dolphins themselves recently renegotiated multiple contracts one year after signing.

The team signed Kyle Van Noy to a four-year, $51 million contract last year — an average of $12.75 million per season. And in March the club effectively renegotiated that deal by cutting Van Noy one year into his deal.

Van Noy is now in New England playing for half what he signed to get this year in Miami.

The Dolphins did something similar with guard Ereck Flowers. They signed him to a three-year deal to play in his hometown. And when the club’s thinking changed after one season, the Dolphins traded Flowers back to Washington.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:33 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

well, I think the point is that teams will do whatever the hell they want, they don’t hold to no principles is the bottom line, so why should a player.....of course, this is all extreme as we should all be able to get along but it’s a business...

I just want the team to build assets for the future....it’s evident to me that Grier can screw up decisions right and left and Ross will do nothing, so give Grier as many options as possible as he’s bound to be able for cripes sake get one or two right....trade X, get picks, test the Igby decision and move on....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:52 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
well, I think the point is that teams will do whatever the hell they want, they don’t hold to no principles is the bottom line, so why should a player.....of course, this is all extreme as we should all be able to get along but it’s a business...

I just want the team to build assets for the future....it’s evident to me that Grier can screw up decisions right and left and Ross will do nothing, so give Grier as many options as possible as he’s bound to be able for cripes sake get one or two right....trade X, get picks, test the Igby decision and move on....

I agree, and Grier created this problem thinking that X was mature enough to handle it. But, no one likes someone getting paid more than they do when you are the better "worker".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:04 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Guess he saw what 7 sacks are worth?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:32 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:

A steamy night out on the studio with Ron Jeremy and the boys?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:15 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Sounds like the problem may be Ross more than Grier then.

If X gets traded i hope the Phins get great not just good value.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:38 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Food for thought, but the Dolphins really didn't renegotiate their contracts. They didn't ask them to take a pay cut but fired them as they did not play up to their expectations. I think that's a little different.

Armando Salguero wrote:
But the idea that a renegotiation one year into a new contract is unique is debatable. Because the Dolphins themselves recently renegotiated multiple contracts one year after signing.

The team signed Kyle Van Noy to a four-year, $51 million contract last year — an average of $12.75 million per season. And in March the club effectively renegotiated that deal by cutting Van Noy one year into his deal.

Van Noy is now in New England playing for half what he signed to get this year in Miami.

The Dolphins did something similar with guard Ereck Flowers. They signed him to a three-year deal to play in his hometown. And when the club’s thinking changed after one season, the Dolphins traded Flowers back to Washington.

That’s why there is guaranteed money in their contract. They get paid regardless of performance or injury. He benefited from getting paid while sitting out. Now he wants a new new deal because he actually played well. Seems unreasonable from my vantage point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:52 am 

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
FINesse wrote:

A steamy night out on the studio with Ron Jeremy and the boys?

LOL ... What happens in South Beach ...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:35 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
I agree, and Grier created this problem thinking that X was mature enough to handle it. But, no one likes someone getting paid more than they do when you are the better "worker".

True, but Howard has to realize that this is how things work -- the highest paid player in the league only keeps that status for a year. The next contracts are always better.

Armando's comparison with teams cut players part way into a contract doesn't hold water. For years now, everyone has realized that the only part of the contract that matters is the guaranteed money, and agents negotiate accordingly. Howard asking for a new contract would be like teams asking for a new contract with a lower amount of guaranteed money, and that never happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:16 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think the compromise here is the add extra incentives and elevator bonuses to the contract, which protect the Dolphins if he gets hurt and reward the player if he has another super year.

I do think times are changing and high-profile super stars will be able to force teams to rework contracts. So, I do think that if the Dolphins want to keep him, they will have to give him some more money. But they should make it clear that they are not going to do this again for this contract. That is why I think putting incentives into the contract is the way to go. If they dont want to rework the contract, then just trade him and get draft picks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I can see a restructure with incentives to make him the highest paid CB on the team which he is deserving of, but this is pure pride and selfishness on his part. All I see is "me", and Flores is looking for a good "team". I do hope we keep him, but if he doesn't want to be here then I am ok with that as well. I hate seeing our playmakers playing on other teams as we are better with them than without them.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
Howard is believed to be considering his options at this point. Those options include asking for a trade — something he has discussed with confidantes and would not be a surprising outcome.

Whether the Dolphins would consider a trade, even if he holds out during training camp, is very much in question. The Dolphins declined to pursue a trade last October when he conveyed to the Dolphins that he was open to it.

The Dolphins also could placate Howard by giving him a raise — a move, that if done in the form of a signing bonus and smaller base salary — could be structured in a way to lower his $13.2 million cap charge for 2021. Dolphins coach Brian Flores this week did not publicly rule out restructuring Howard’s contract.

To refresh: Howard signed a five-year, $75.25 million extension in 2019 that included $27.2 million fully guaranteed. But one year after the Dolphins gave Howard that extension, they signed Jones in free agency to a five-year, $82.5 million deal with $46 million fully guaranteed.

Jones is due to earn $14 million in base salary this season, Howard $12.1 million. Howard’s $75.2 million deal is the fourth highest in the NFL in total value for a cornerback, trailing the Rams’ Jalen Ramsey ($100 million), Baltimore’s Marlon Humphrey ($97.5 million) and Jones ($82.5 million).

As for Jones, he’s coming off a strong close to the 2020 season. After not intercepting a pass in his first 41 games as an NFL cornerback (mostly with Dallas), he had two in the Dolphins’ final four games last season.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

USA Today rated outside CB Xavien Howard as the 8th best slot CB in the NFL which is probably an understatement still of his abilities as he should have been voted defensive MVP last year in the NFL. If we can't get him into camp, I really don't see why the Dolphins cannot get good draft compensation for him. He is that good.

Dolphins Wire (USA Today) wrote:
Howard led the NFL in interceptions last season with 10, and three of those picks came from the slot, where he allowed eight receptions on 16 targets for 83 yards, 60 yards after the catch, one touchdown, and an opponent passer rating of 46.6. It’s rare for a top outside cornerback to also excel in the slot, but when you have the ability to man up on Tyreek Hill on a deep route as Howard does (generally speaking, manning up one-on-one with Tyreek Hill is a recipe for disaster)… well, it’s clear why Howard is one of the NFL’s best defenders, regardless of where he’s aligned.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/list ... ke-hilton/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:02 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

This situation will lead ultimately to deserved criticism of this front office. The guy holds out, this then becomes a Diva heaven of BS, accusations and interruptions of the operation of getting the team ready to compete in '21, when these idiots up there making six, seven figures running the team should have had a vision and made the move before the '21 draft, cutting their potential losses in having a disgruntled player causing all kinds of distractions, including rumors of trades that don't materialize, quotes from front office personnel that don't say squat and in the process lowering the value of what they could have gotten otherwise.

And if the guy returns, middle of the season, out of shape, simply to collect his millions, that's counter productive as well. And this isn't some revelation. Followers of football know it's happened across the league bunches of times, and ultimately it's the franchise that loses out. Either they cave and that shows the weakness where it really lies, or they take a stand prolonging the inevitable and can't cash in on the real value of the player.

Quick, decisive action like this isn't in the makeup of this front office, and similarly to what's going on with the QB situation, is more of this franchise's hamster in the wheel existence.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:18 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
This situation will lead ultimately to deserved criticism of this front office.

When they signed Byron Jones, I am very sure that the discussion of Xavien Howard's unhappiness at not being the highest paid CB on the team was made. Although signing Jones last year improved our defense tremendously, they created this problem. I'm interested to see what they do to resolve it. Right now, I don't think this is much of a distraction to the team, and we had Igby getting more reps in his place getting experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
And if the guy returns, middle of the season, out of shape, simply to collect his millions, that's counter productive as well. And this isn't some revelation.

That should be a criminal offense with the money Ross is paying him and I’m pretty sure I mean that sincerely.

:haha

Since he doesn’t want to be on the football field he can enjoy his time at another team location. X can chill inside the Davie bunker basement Sep-Jan if that becomes the case with nothing but the greasiest of McDonald’s room service for him during those months to grease him up, prep him to be fat, happy and ready to be another headcase for the next sucker franchise (NYJ???).

Hand fed by Grier personally, of course. Oh, and can’t forget this, his vulturous agent can pick up the room and board.

Who needs a Super Bowl on their resume when you lead the league in INTs? It was only a matter of time before the vapidness of the NBA translated over to football.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:11 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I just listened to Armando's podcast where they discussed Xavier's situation. They both think the Dolphins should pay Xavier. Their argument is that since Xavier is better than Jones, he should get paid more (regardless of the contract). So what if the Dolphins do this, and then Jones goes out and has a sensational year with ten interceptions and Howard has only five interceptions? Do they then have to renegotiate with Jones?

The time to negotiate is when the contract is over. Period.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:26 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Dolphins are not interested in a trade, but if they do, they will want draft capital which won't help us this year. I like a player who has the pride to be the best, but I do not respect one who puts himself above the team (especially when the Dolphins made him the best paid CB two years ago even when he had injury issues). He'd be smart to wait it out until next year when there is more cap due to a less-COVID season.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
What can’t happen from a Dolphins standpoint: A trade. Howard is too vital to the Dolphins’ defensive success to trade merely for draft picks.

Last October, after Howard conveyed that he would be open to a trade (but stopped short of asking for one), an NFL person who spoke with Dolphins management before the trade deadline said the Dolphins would only trade Howard if they could get a “Laremy Tunsil return” back — meaning two first-rounders and a player or two first-rounders and a No. 2. Howard’s former agent wasn’t given permission to talk to other teams.

One person who speaks often with the Dolphins front office said it would surprise him if the Dolphins trade Howard. I don’t expect a trade. But a trade cannot be ruled out unless the Dolphins tell other teams — during a potential training camp holdout — that he’s not available.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:15 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

There may be some more money but if the nfl keeps going political it might not be that much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]