Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
k-dash wrote:
and it is the height of arrogance to make repeated redundant superfluous unnecessarily redundant

I agree. Making superfluous unnecessary redundantly redundant statements for no reason in a redundant, pointless, repetitive and unnecessary manner is arrogantly redundant.

I amplified the redundancy in yellow for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:15 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Rich wrote:
k-dash wrote:
and it is the height of arrogance to make repeated redundant superfluous unnecessarily redundant

I agree. Making superfluous unnecessary redundantly redundant statements for no reason in a redundant, pointless, repetitive and unnecessary manner is arrogant.
Glad you agree.

Hey, wait a minute...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:22 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phinished wrote:

Well.....Marino was also not throwing almost all his passes to someone within 5 yards either....

Maybe that is part of the reason Tua's velocity is so much lower. You don't throw the ball as hard to a receiver who is only 15 yards away from you. (This is why screen passes weren't included in the analysis.) It wasn't clear to me, though, if all other passes were included. If he was looking for MAX velocity, he wouldn't include other short passes either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:38 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
If he was looking for MAX velocity, he wouldn't include other short passes either.

oooohhh, * grooooaaaann *, here we go agggggaainnnn......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:21 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
If he was looking for MAX velocity, he wouldn't include other short passes either.

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not debating the merits of QBs here, but rather the methodology. Only two factors from the QB (i.e., I'm not including wind, rain, etc.) affect how far the ball goes, initial velocity and launch angle. Then the physics of projectile motion takes over to determine where the ball lands.

So, to measure armstrength, you want to know the maximum velocity with which a QB throws; Therefore, you shouldn't include short passes, because they are not thrown with maximum velocity. As we all know from your game recaps, Tua mostly threw short passes. Next year you need unretire the "Silly-long-passing-metric" that you used for Fiedler back in the days when we still had small children.

Should I explain it for you in binary?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:54 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
Then the physics of projectile motion takes over to determine where the ball lands.......Next year you need unretire the "Silly-long-passing-metric" that you used for Fiedler back in the days when we still had small children.....Should I explain it for you in binary?

No, I would appreciate it if you didn’t. In fact, I would appreciate it even more if you took this stuff to the National Geographic Pocket Protector Nerds R-Us Message Board....where you might find one guy wearing his taped together glasses, in a dirty, messy basement somewhere, full of empty pizza boxes and used wraps of beef jerky laying all around who might actually see anything of interest in it. Which I doubt.

And it’s called the Silly Fiedler Long Passing Meter. I found it not only rhymes but got back at the poster who way back then thought it was “silly” of me to track this other useless QB of ours in his attempts to throw the ball downfield. Of course, he had Bubble Boy Gadsgen to hold him back, although unfortunately for Bubble Boy the term “catch radius” had not been invented yet or he would have not lived perpetually in the summer cut down bubble. Had you been in the same scientific mood back then you would have coined that term and today living rich off the royalties.

But I digress.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:25 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I was going to post this separately but I figured why continue to poke the angry bear....(from Barry Jackson)

Quote:
ESPN analysts continue to question Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa for his playbook comments, which — as explained here — do not warrant the attention or criticism that they’re receiving.

“What the hell? What the entire hell?” former NFL safety Ryan Clark said on ESPN’s Get Up.

“He should have lied. What do we always say about Alabama players? They’re the most NFL ready. They understand playbooks. They can process. He was supposed to have a quick trigger because he understands.

“Now he had a quick trigger because he had four first-rounders playing on his team? You’re not going to have that in Miami. Not only is your body beat up, but you ain’t that smart either? If I’m Brian Flores, this is something I do not like hearing.”

Quick aside: The “ain’t that smart” comment is unfair. From all indications, there is no concern at all with Tagovailoa’s intelligence or mental aptitude.

The ESPN bashing wasn’t done.

“This is going to be a scarlet letter that lives on his resume until he shows he can lead his team,” former NFL linebacker Bart Scott said on ESPN’s Get Up.

“... They have those two first-round draft picks [in 2023] for a reason, just in case he’s not who they thought he was. [The Dolphins] can move away from him. He just gave them bulletin board material. He’s going to hear this from his opponents and he’s darn sure going to hear it from his fan base if he starts to struggle early.”

▪ Pro Football Focus rates Tagovailoa the 29th-best starting quarterback, behind (inexplicably) Cam Newton and Sam Darnold and ahead of only Zach Wilson, Jalen Hurts and Drew Lock.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:55 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
Then the physics of projectile motion takes over to determine where the ball lands.......Next year you need unretire the "Silly-long-passing-metric" that you used for Fiedler back in the days when we still had small children.....Should I explain it for you in binary?

No, I would appreciate it if you didn’t. In fact, I would appreciate it even more if you took this stuff to the National Geographic Pocket Protector Nerds R-Us Message Board....where you might find one guy wearing his taped together glasses, in a dirty, messy basement somewhere, full of empty pizza boxes and used wraps of beef jerky laying all around who might actually see anything of interest in it. Which I doubt.

And it’s called the Silly Fiedler Long Passing Meter. I found it not only rhymes but got back at the poster who way back then thought it was “silly” of me to track this other useless QB of ours in his attempts to throw the ball downfield. Of course, he had Bubble Boy Gadsgen to hold him back, although unfortunately for Bubble Boy the term “catch radius” had not been invented yet or he would have not lived perpetually in the summer cut down bubble. Had you been in the same scientific mood back then you would have coined that term and today living rich off the royalties.

But I digress.....

LMAO! Bubbly-boy Gadsden indeed had a huge catch radius. Unfortunately for him, he usually had trouble getting back to the huddle in time to hear the next play called -- he was that slow.

I'll admit that was a good metric to use, and I'm not sure who that poster was who thought it was silly. You need a new one for next season, but I'm not sure what word you can find that rhymes with Taglovailoa. You've got a few months to work on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:11 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quote:
and I'm not sure who that poster was who thought it was silly.

It had to be Thrawn, or maybe Ogdu. Those two lived in a higher stratosphere, or so they thought, and looked down on the rest of us minions back in the days of the thriving Sun board.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:49 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
There is a reason Tua was called "the left handed Drew Brees" and not "the left handed Russell Wilson."

Actually, several scouting sites and NFL execs compared him favorably to Russell Wilson. So did David Carr and Rich Eisen. Is it accurate? I dunno, but they did make the comparison for what it's worth.

Quote:
Someone like Brees can get away with a week arm due to his elite instincts, but most guys with those limitations are journeymen backups. Its entirely possible Miami spent the 5th overall pick on the next Colt McCoy. We have to acknowledge that possibility.

Tua also has a release to rival Dan Marino. Don't believe me? Read this analysis.

https://medium.com/@thetim_dix/nfl-draf ... 9abd897399

A release like that can make up for some deficiencies in velocity.

I don't think Colt McCoy had that type of ability.

The only comparisons I saw with Wilson were the knocks on size. I have not seen any comparisons to his speed or arm strength. Not saying you're wrong, I just haven't read it from the media. I think I once likened him to Wilson based on watching him move in the pocket, but the comparison ends there for me.

The release argument is fine, but you still need the velocity unless you are an elite level QB. Tua seems to have that ability, just hasn't put it all together yet. If he does not then he is like Colt McCoy aka a smart, weak armed QB who will have a long career as a spot starter.

You guys all know I did a 180 on Tua last year and I'm hoping for the best. Maybe if he's fully healthy he gets more zip on his passes. We just won't know until he takes the field this fall.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:04 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not debating the merits of QBs here, but rather the methodology. Only two factors from the QB (i.e., I'm not including wind, rain, etc.) affect how far the ball goes, initial velocity and launch angle. Then the physics of projectile motion takes over to determine where the ball lands.

So, to measure armstrength, you want to know the maximum velocity with which a QB throws; Therefore, you shouldn't include short passes, because they are not thrown with maximum velocity. As we all know from your game recaps, Tua mostly threw short passes. Next year you need unretire the "Silly-long-passing-metric" that you used for Fiedler back in the days when we still had small children.

Should I explain it for you in binary?

The analysis was done based on Tua's college passes. So he was healthy and throwing downfield.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:13 pm 

carreramia wrote:
Quote:
and I'm not sure who that poster was who thought it was silly.

It had to be Thrawn, or maybe Ogdu. Those two lived in a higher stratosphere, or so they thought, and looked down on the rest of us minions back in the days of the thriving Sun board.

That's funny considering we all thought you and ogdu were the same person for a looooooooong time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:57 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

U thought I was a woman remember?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:01 pm 

I specifically thought you were Mariah Carey.

Maria Carre

Carre ramia

I mean, you can understand the confusion I'm sure...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

WTF kinda shhh were you guys into on those dusty old forums? Dave has laid some serious hammer since then. It sounds like you would’ve fit right into a scene with Jackie Nichols in the Cuckoo’s Nest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:45 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
WTF kinda shhh were you guys into on those dusty old forums? Dave has laid some serious hammer since then. It sounds like you would’ve fit right into a scene with Jackie Nichols in the Cuckoo’s Nest.

You haven't heard the half of it! There were numerous unique characters there, and all were very active. A psychologist could have written a dissertation on our interactions. Carreramia, Thrawn (Rich), NYJUNC (we called him Junkie, evidently he was both a Jets fan and UNC fan, but we didn't know this for quite some time), RigoSixto (RIP), FootballFreak!!!, NPBRob (he with the hot temper), Delaware Dolfan (RIP, nicest guy you ever met), StuckInDC (great wit and the closest thing to a normal person on that board), Ogdu5 (with the billion word vocabulary -- Rigo was merciless abou this, always calling him a pompous a$$), BillsFanSez, Max (from the hood of Inglewood, very creative with poetry and such, a great story teller), Relive1972 (who also shows up here every so often) and many others who came and left through the years.

That group didn't abide by any rules, that is for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:02 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Dave has laid some serious hammer since then.

Adult Film Dave is the best Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:03 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Wait a minute..."Big Dave"? The puzzle is finally being pieced together.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:15 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
I specifically thought you were Mariah Carey.

Maria Carre

Carre ramia

I mean, you can understand the confusion I'm sure...

I love Mariah....the best xmas song is hers, "All I Want For Xmas is You"....once I hear that I know it's the season....

But you weren't that clever then, it was an attempt by you out of desperation to put me down, I mean, what else, during one of our discussions, and left with nothing you resorted to dismissing me thinking I was a chick, what with the nic ending in "...mia". And here we are again, 25+ years later, still waiting for these Fins to leave us no option but come here, be cheerful, agreeable....ahhh, maybe that isn't such a good thing, eh?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:30 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

25 years? Wow impressive. I’ve only been here 20 years. Practically a pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:44 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Coach Flores addresses Tua's playbook comment, and it's pretty much how I see it as well. Knowing the person that Tua is, I think he is very hard on himself as he strives for perfection.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
Flores was asked his thoughts on all of that.

“My thoughts on that go back to what I said last week, being more comfortable, having better command in the huddle right now,” he said. “I think he’s comparing last year to where he is right now. I get it. I understand. I remember being a first-year position coach and going into next season saying ‘I should have been better last year, I’m better now.’ We all understand where he’s coming from.”

Flores said Tagovailoa’s comments — which have been criticized by several ESPN analysts — “make sense. He’s thinking where he is right now. That’s good. This time is about reflection, where you were now to six months ago. He has improved in a lot of areas.”

Flores said Tagovailoa “is trying to put together a process for how he studies, how he eats, how he trains. I’ve seen that. He’s got a system in place or putting in place systems that help him do X, Y or Z.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:42 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

You haven't heard the half of it! There were numerous unique characters there, and all were very active. A psychologist could have written a dissertation on our interactions. Carreramia, Thrawn (Rich), NYJUNC (we called him Junkie, evidently he was both a Jets fan and UNC fan, but we didn't know this for quite some time), RigoSixto (RIP), FootballFreak!!!, NPBRob (he with the hot temper), Delaware Dolfan (RIP, nicest guy you ever met), StuckInDC (great wit and the closest thing to a normal person on that board), Ogdu5 (with the billion word vocabulary -- Rigo was merciless abou this, always calling him a pompous a$$), BillsFanSez, Max (from the hood of Inglewood, very creative with poetry and such, a great story teller), Relive1972 (who also shows up here every so often) and many others who came and left through the years.

That group didn't abide by any rules, that is for sure.

My assumptions were clearly validated.

:haha

I frequented FinHeaven for a year or two around the year I joined on here and Nyjunc had more posts than anybody. He had 50,000 + as a Jet fan on a Miami board. Interesting dude....always cordial so I never gave him shhh but that didn’t stop anyone else. FH has a solid site it just got too busy for me and I was tired of having to read generic Twitter takes below every OP. Not nearly as much of that in here. Dave is the highest standard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:38 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I frequented FinHeaven for a year or two around the year I joined on here and Nyjunc had more posts than anybody. He had 50,000 + as a Jet fan on a Miami board. Interesting dude....always cordial so I never gave him shhh but that didn’t stop anyone else. FH has a solid site it just got too busy for me and I was tired of having to read generic Twitter takes below every OP. Not nearly as much of that in here. Dave is the highest standard.

I think FH was a different site, though there must have been some common posters with ours. This means Junkie was spending time on at least two Dolphins sites! The old Sentinel Board moved around a bit, ultimately over to Delphin Forums, where it had a couple of names, most recently the Thunderdome. (I think this is all correct. Carreramia can verify.) It didn't have (m)any trolls. Pretty much everyone was a solid poster. I think it was all pre-twitter, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:11 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
This means Junkie was spending time on at least two Dolphins sites!

Yeah...to say the least when you’re talking about a guy with 50,000 + posts. That has to be an average of almost a dozen posts daily. I guess when you’re a NYJ fan inside the most trafficked Dolphin fan board you can wrack up a few thousand pretty easy when everybody is giving you shhh

:)

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2