Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2017 Draft Grades
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:38 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Not to be Debbie Downer, but wanted to bring attention to how useless draft grades are.

Here is the 2017 draft grades.
Quote:
Miami Dolphins
Draft picks:Charles Harris (No. 22 overall), Raekwon McMillan (No. 54 overall), Cordrea Tankersley (No. 97 overall), Isaac Asiata (No. 164 overall), Davon Godchaux (No. 178 overall), Vincent Taylor (No. 194 overall), Isaiah Ford (No. 237 overall)
Day 1 grade: A-
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A-
The skinny: Miami definitely needed to get younger in its pass rush, so seeing Harris on the board was a godsend. He'll need to improve against the rush to be an all-around player on the edge, but the pick will still be very good if he can make an impact attacking the quarterback sooner than later. Finding a linebacker of Raekwon McMillan's stature in the second round was a steal. Clemson's Cordrea Tankersley has a chance to start in Year Two for the Dolphins, as well -- he was an excellent pick. With Laremy Tunsil moving outside in 2017, the Dolphins found an immediate starting guard in Isaac Asiata in the fifth round. Godchaux bolstered the defensive line depth on Day 3.

Post subject: Re: 2017 Draft Grades
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Ouch -- who gave that analysis?

I remember thinking it was a terrible draft at the time -- the only pick I liked was Asiata, and he ended up being the least productive of the group!

Ohio State sends good defensive backs and receivers to the NFL. QBs, linemen, and linebackers ... not so much.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:28 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

To be fair, McMillan, Godchaux, Taylor and Ford have made respectable NFL careers for themselves though none of them are difference makers. I actually really liked Godchaux while he was a Dolphin but he didn't fit our current scheme. I wish him well personally but not professionally as he plays for the Cheatriots now.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:03 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Ha ha. I really liked the Tankersley pick. He was a blanket covering TEs in college.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:12 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

prof123 wrote:
Ouch -- who gave that analysis?

I remember thinking it was a terrible draft at the time -- the only pick I liked was Asiata, and he ended up being the least productive of the group!

Ohio State sends good defensive backs and receivers to the NFL. QBs, linemen, and linebackers ... not so much.

Not a lot of people liked that draft. Most gave us C's for that draft, but I didn't have Scot's grades on it. Here's our accumulative Draft Analysis.

2017 NFL Draft Coverage (Phinfever)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:04 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Injuries ruined early promise from both McMillan and Tankersly.

Godchaux, Taylor and Ford carved out some pretty decent roles for themselves given their draft spots.

It will be VERY interesting to see what we think of last year's class in a few years. 1st Rounders spent on QB, LT, CB (three cornerstone positions).

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]