All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:40 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It's probably payback, because the Broncos tried their best to trade up in the draft to get DE Jaelen Phillips, but we got him.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:13 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

How do we know for certain Williams was Miami's plan? They seemed pretty darn happy to land Holland

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
How do we know for certain Williams was Miami's plan? They seemed pretty darn happy to land Holland

I guess we will find out on that. And, yes, they were ecstatic to get Holland.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:07 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

You know, the funny thing is that Gordon had just said that he was tired of everyone overlooking him, and then the Broncos traded up for Williams.

If "everyone" is overlooking you then you aren't getting the job done.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

https://www.nfl.com/news/john-elway-s-m ... t-run-by-g

This is the article all the pundits are tweeting about and making it look like they have insider information.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Not buying it at all.

Lets look at a few facts. Last year Grier and company coveted Igbinoghene and move into the back of Round 1 to get him. If he wants a player he'll overpay. Grier did aggressively move up in Round 2...for an offensive tackle when that was not even their most pressing need. Did Grier grab a Day 2 or early Day 3 running back that I missed? Doesn't seem like they were dwelling on it. Finally, Miami nearly sprinted to the podium for Holland. Doesn't sound like a team that got caught flat footed and Tony Pauline immediately followed up the pick with saying he had heard this was their intention weeks earlier.

So would Miami have grabbed Williams at 36? Maybe, I guess. Did it look like they were desperate for the guy? Not really. To me it comes across as they floated false information to manipulate what people were guessing (something Grier did quite well last year). Maybe they fooled Atlanta, Denver and this mystery AFC East team (yeah, I'm sure someone in Davie just so happened to tell one of their rivals what their intentions were).

I'm not saying Holland was the right pick or that Miami was wise to not aggressively pursue Williams. But when you add up the facts this sounds way more like Denver trying to justify the Williams pick despite spending a fortune on Melvin Gordon.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:11 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
Not buying it at all.

Lets look at a few facts. Last year Grier and company coveted Igbinoghene and move into the back of Round 1 to get him. If he wants a player he'll overpay. Grier did aggressively move up in Round 2...for an offensive tackle when that was not even their most pressing need. Did Grier grab a Day 2 or early Day 3 running back that I missed? Doesn't seem like they were dwelling on it. Finally, Miami nearly sprinted to the podium for Holland. Doesn't sound like a team that got caught flat footed and Tony Pauline immediately followed up the pick with saying he had heard this was their intention weeks earlier.

So would Miami have grabbed Williams at 36? Maybe, I guess. Did it look like they were desperate for the guy? Not really. To me it comes across as they floated false information to manipulate what people were guessing (something Grier did quite well last year). Maybe they fooled Atlanta, Denver and this mystery AFC East team (yeah, I'm sure someone in Davie just so happened to tell one of their rivals what their intentions were).

I'm not saying Holland was the right pick or that Miami was wise to not aggressively pursue Williams. But when you add up the facts this sounds way more like Denver trying to justify the Williams pick despite spending a fortune on Melvin Gordon.

It does seem that all these statements about Denver jumping ahead of the Dolphins to foil their plans are based on speculation about what the Dolphins were going to do. But the only people who knew for sure were in the Dolphins draftroom, and they weren't and aren't talking. I think you are onto something here.

The Dolphins obviously don't seem to be too concerned about the RB situation. I think they must like Gaskins and Ahmed fairly well or they know someone like Duke Johnson or Sony Michel is going to be available later. While they know they need some star power, they preferred to seek it at other positions than RB.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:20 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:
Finally, Miami nearly sprinted to the podium for Holland. Doesn't sound like a team that got caught flat footed and Tony Pauline immediately followed up the pick with saying he had heard this was their intention weeks earlier.

It does seem that all these statements about Denver jumping ahead of the Dolphins to foil their plans are based on speculation about what the Dolphins were going to do. But the only people who knew for sure were in the Dolphins draftroom, and they weren't and aren't talking. I think you are onto something here.

It sounds like you all are on to something there. The reality is that Denver did jump ahead of someone to get Williams ... Dolphins fans. We are the ones looking for the next Ricky Williams.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
It sounds like you all are on to something there. The reality is that Denver did jump ahead of someone to get Williams ... Dolphins fans. We are the ones looking for the next Ricky Williams.

I thought we were looking for the next Dan Marino?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:37 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

I thought we were looking for the next Dan Marino?

Yep, that, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Grier got schooled in this draft. I do not believe the lie that Waddle was #2 on their board, nor do I believe they did not plan to draft Williams. They got outmaneuvered everywhere and literally pissed away picks moving up in rounds for players they probably get by sitting pat.

We could not stop the run....so where were the picks to address that?

We could not run the ball....perhaps the new OT improves that, but I think they had pass blocking in mind.

We grabbed a TE, despite having huge need in many other places. I do not see this guy as an improvement over Gesicki, but I suppose they can save money to get more one year free agents.

I think they got good value in this draft, but I do not think they fixed this team’s major weaknesses.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I am pretty sure that Phinished is the source for this idea that Dave referenced and is being floated around.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:59 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phinished wrote:
Grier got schooled in this draft. I do not believe the lie that Waddle was #2 on their board, nor do I believe they did not plan to draft Williams. They got outmaneuvered everywhere and literally pissed away picks moving up in rounds for players they probably get by sitting pat.

We could not stop the run....so where were the picks to address that?

We could not run the ball....perhaps the new OT improves that, but I think they had pass blocking in mind.

We grabbed a TE, despite having huge need in many other places. I do not see this guy as an improvement over Gesicki, but I suppose they can save money to get more one year free agents.

I think they got good value in this draft, but I do not think they fixed this team’s major weaknesses.

Your opening and closing sentences seem to contradict one another.

Lots of chatter about teams having Waddle much higher than fans and draft analysts. Its rare to see a speed demon with precise route running and very good hands.

Miami had plenty of opportunities to draft Williams or another back. They did not aggressively pursue it.

But I'm with you on filling holes. Seems like Center and Running Back are question marks.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:36 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
Seems like Center and Running Back are question marks.

While I was disappointed over draft weekend about RB, that disappointment has subsided. I continue to believe the OL is more important. Other than Barry Sanders, what RB has been good enough to make up for a poor line. It is a passing league now, and running backs are mostly interchangeable. We've got a few options and the season hasn't started yet.

As for center, Skura blocked fairly well last year. I can't believe that the snapping problems will be an ongoing issue. That just takes practice, and I am sure they will make sure he puts in that time. The more I read about Eichenberg, the more excited I am about him. Unlike the guys we drafted last year, he seems is ready to start on Day 1 at right tackle. His flexibility to play guard is a bonus, and it allows us to start our five best players. Also, Dieter started 16 games at center for Wisconsin. I suspect they are going to work him there as a backup (and possible upgrade) for Skura. So, we have at least four OL who are flexible with their positions (Eichengerger, Dieter, Hunt, and Davis).
Jackson, Kindley, Skura, Hunt, Eichenberger, with Davis backing up several spots
Jackson, Kindley, Dieter, Davis, Hunt, with Eichenberger backing up several spots

Also, Hunter Long should help our running game as a two-way tight end. Of course the comparisons to Jason Witten are a bit premature, but the very fact that he is that kind of player bodes well for his potential. The offense is really looking up. There will be no more excuses for Tua -- he needs to make it happen this season.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Supposedly we were in love with Carter and wanted to draft him over everyone. I don’t buy any of these rumors. Even if there were something to this, it’s more than likely they are biting on smoke that Grier was blowin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I think Davis and Grant are gonners. I think McCain and Rowe will be on the roster unless we get a trade offer, or we sign Malik Hooker. I also think Smythe has played his last game as a Dolphin.

None of those are radical takes, but it's what I think I think right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:51 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jgod1 wrote:
This is the article all the pundits are tweeting about and making it look like they have insider information.

The internet cheapened and degraded journalism beyond comprehension. Most are a bunch of bloggers just running amok for the tastiest cheese.

jammer wrote:
Finally, Miami nearly sprinted to the podium for Holland. Doesn't sound like a team that got caught flat footed and Tony Pauline immediately followed up the pick with saying he had heard this was their intention weeks earlier.

It sounds like a Jet war room lackie just trying to dig on the competition. Pretty harmless.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]