All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I would say "definitely yes". I like who they added in this draft, but I am very unhappy that they do not realize what a very talented running back can get you over a decent running back behind the same line. The Dolphins clearly like Myles Gaskin, and I couldn't agree that he took a nice step forward in his second season last year, but his talent doesn't compare to those who were drafted in the first two rounds of the draft this year.

Armando Salguero (Miami Herald) wrote:
Maybe the Miami Dolphins don’t really value running backs. Maybe they think they can trade for one, or land one in the back end of free agency, or develop one found in a later round -- all moves they’ve attempted in the recent past.

But for whatever reason, the Dolphins haven’t invested in a running back early in the draft despite an obvious need and failed to do so again Friday evening.

And after passing on players such as Jonathan Taylor and J.K Dobbins, Clyde Edwards-Helaire and D’Andre Swift last year, this year’s whiff on a potential starter is more than frustrating.

It’s beginning to feel like an organizational blind spot.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:41 am 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

I think something worth pointing out is, and there are many variables to this, I know. But Flores comes from where? How do/did they approach the RB position?

It was usually some sort of committee approach right? With no “one top talent” that they went and drafted in the 1st round. I’m just going by memory here, but it always seemed like whoever they put back there, it was sorta a “no-big-name” guy... and he’d do great for a couple years, then they’d find someone else.

Build the team and more specifically the o-line and other supporting cast. Create an o-line where me and the ol’ guide dog could run through it. Lol

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:07 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is what I am saying. I'm not griping, but I am pointing out a flaw in the thought process concerning running backs. If Grier wants to argue with me, go talk to Denver and SF who drafted running backs and already had good backs.

It sounds as if the Dolphins stuck to their draft chart and had players ranked higher. I do believe the Dolphins are still in a major rebuild process and you can tell by the FA moves they made last year and this year, and the draft picks they are making. They are redoing this team slowly through the draft and analyzing everything. I do like the plan.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:33 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Coots wrote:
I think something worth pointing out is, and there are many variables to this, I know. But Flores comes from where? How do/did they approach the RB position?

It was usually some sort of committee approach right? With no “one top talent” that they went and drafted in the 1st round. I’m just going by memory here, but it always seemed like whoever they put back there, it was sorta a “no-big-name” guy... and he’d do great for a couple years, then they’d find someone else.

Build the team and more specifically the o-line and other supporting cast. Create an o-line where me and the ol’ guide dog could run through it. Lol

You are not wrong ( Except BB did draft Michel in Rd. 1 a couple of yrs ago ) However, the Pats did have a QB that teams feared far more than the QB in Miami. Why copy BB when all his coaching tree is scattered with HC coaching failures.

I believe they think they can find a RB in 5 or 7th Rd.

The one question I have came from last yrs UDFA. Why did they not go hard after James Robinson?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Coots wrote:

You are not wrong ( Except BB did draft Michel in Rd. 1 a couple of yrs ago ) However, the Pats did have a QB that teams feared far more than the QB in Miami. Why copy BB when all his coaching tree is scattered with HC coaching failures.

I believe they think they can find a RB in 5 or 7th Rd.

The one question I have came from last yrs UDFA. Why did they not go hard after James Robinson?

I have no confidence in this staff to find a RB in late rounds, or in free agency. I think you have to combine our top 6 rushers last year to add up to 1000 yards. The serviceable backs, Gaskin and Ahmed can not carry a full load....they are complimentary backs and the injuries last year were the result of trying to push square pegs into round holes. The whiff on Howard in free agency show you they can not evaluate talent at all. They only got Ahmed by happenstance, not by design. They absolutely blew it in this draft. Grier is done, because I think we regress this year. Bellicheat did very well in this draft and Buffalo is a Suoer Bowl contender. We might beat the Jets still. Even if they finally built an offensive line this year...we shall see....it took too much money, too many high picks and too much time.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:51 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think of our o line can do better at opening up lanes this season, or running game will improve significantly, even with present personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
I think of our o line can do better at opening up lanes this season, or running game will improve significantly, even with present personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So....I can expect our top 5 guys to add up to a 1000 yards now? I am sorry, but Gaskin is not a feature back. He is what he is, an over achieving 7th round pick. Ahmed has more upside, but again, he is not a feature back. We needed that guy who woukd get that short yard when you need it, or give us consistent 2nd and 6, instead of 2nd and 8. Also, no defense is afraid of Gaskin....but I guarantee you they would have lost sleep planning to defend Najee Harris.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

We went 10-6 with the RBs we got. Chill, we'll be in perfect strike position for the top RB next year.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:38 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Ski_Money wrote:
We went 10-6 with the RBs we got. Chill, we'll be in perfect strike position for the top RB next year.
Thanks for the laugh. These guys are not taking a RB next yr. Two yrs in a row they have ignored a position.

This is a team that cannot run the ball, nor stop the run. Some how these two only believe in the passing game.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:39 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:
So....I can expect our top 5 guys to add up to a 1000 yards now? I am sorry, but Gaskin is not a feature back. He is what he is, an over achieving 7th round pick. Ahmed has more upside, but again, he is not a feature back. We needed that guy who woukd get that short yard when you need it, or give us consistent 2nd and 6, instead of 2nd and 8. Also, no defense is afraid of Gaskin....but I guarantee you they would have lost sleep planning to defend Najee Harris.

Why do I see Stevenson eating our lunch next yr? Oh yea, because Miami cannot stop the run either.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Company Man Andy Cohen is calling out Davie for missing out on something, there is probably something there.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]