Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Round 2.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:03 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Only three teams pick before us, so we are going to get a very good player.
1. The ND linebacker with two last names. (top 20 talent)
2. Teven Jenkins, OT, who some thought we should take at 18.
3. Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickerson (interior OL)
4. Jevonte Williams, RB
5. Trevon Moehrig, S (we will need one of these soon)
6. Azeez Olujari (some mocks had us taking him at 18)

The RB is our greatest need now. We need a young center in the next couple of years. The LB is probably the best value.

Post subject: Re: Round 2.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:40 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

If Williams is there IMO they have to go Williams.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:42 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Duplicate post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:47 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dphins4me wrote:
Duplicate post

Really? I thought I posted it last night, but didn't think it came through, so I wrote it out again this morning? (Sometimes if posts are submitted after others are made in the thread, I don't catch the warning asking me if I really want to submit, and the submission doesn't go through -- I thought that happened here.) So, sorry for the double-up!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:48 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I agree. RB first if Williams is there, but your short list is an excellent one. I have the feeling they will take the center and leave Williams on the board even if he's there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:49 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

prof123 wrote:

Really? I thought I posted it last night, but didn't think it came through, so I wrote it out again this morning? (Sometimes if posts are submitted after others are made in the thread, I don't catch the warning asking me if I really want to submit, and the submission doesn't go through -- I thought that happened here.) So, sorry for the double-up!

My post was a duplicate. Some how I post my reply twice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:23 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:

Everyone keeps saying JeVonte Williams, and I agree that he is outstanding and probably the smart pick, but if I remember correctly, didn't our staff gush over his teammate Michael Carter during the Senior Bowl?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Everyone keeps saying JeVonte Williams, and I agree that he is outstanding and probably the smart pick, but if I remember correctly, didn't our staff gush over his teammate Michael Carter during the Senior Bowl?

The 3 YPC guys believe Miami goes Javonte Williams and Quinn Meinerz in Round 2.

I still wouldn't sleep on Trey Sermon as a Round 3 option at RB.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:51 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

We need a center IMO. Without a center, your RB is useless.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:54 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

PBP's Joe Schad's list for round 2.

Joe Schad (Palm Beach Post) wrote:
PICK 36
1. RB Javonte Williams, North Carolina — Send it in. Powerhouse will make Brian Flores smile and grin.
2. RT Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State — Powerful. Aggressive. Could protect Tua's blind side.
3. LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah — Swiss Army Knife can play linebacker, safety and even cornerback.31, 2021, in South Bend, Ind. (AP Photo/Robert Franklin)
4. RT Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State — Small school experience but solid in pass pro and high ceiling.
5. S Trevon Moehrig, TCU — The best safety in the draft. Excellent range.

PICK 50
1. C Landon Dickerson, Alabama — Enormous. Tenacious. Has been injured.
2. C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma — Tough. Leader. Lefty.
3. OT Sam Cosmi, Texas — Athletic. Solid. Technical.
4. RB Trey Sermon, Ohio State — Size. Strength. Power.
5. S Andre Cisco, Syracuse — Long Island product with athleticism, frame.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:16 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Yes, very true. However, I think Carter is more of a change of pace back, whereas Williams can play all three downs and is a better blocker. They would be a nice tandem, but we already have complementary backs in Gaskin and Ahmed. Malcolm Brown is our bruiser (for now).

I had been so certain we would try to get one of the top 3 backs, but it seems that was never part of the "must have" plan. I think I agree with Rich above. If you have a dominant line, backs like Gaskin, Ahmed, and Brown can run behind it. If not, it just doesn't matter. I don't think they will feel compelled to take Williams at 36 if Humphrey or Owusu-Koramoah or someone of similar value is there. Maybe Williams drops to 50 or maybe they plan on taking RBs in Rounds 3 or 4 each year until they hit on one that is special.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:46 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dummy Grier could have got us a RB last night and Creed Humphrey today. I think Creed is a must pick for us today, so it might be next year for a feature back that really is a dynamic playmaker. I still like Rhamondre Stevenson though...I think he is Ronnie Brown 2.0 and that is pretty good!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:18 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phinished wrote:
Dummy Grier could have got us a RB last night and Creed Humphrey today. I think Creed is a must pick for us today, so it might be next year for a feature back that really is a dynamic playmaker. I still like Rhamondre Stevenson though...I think he is Ronnie Brown 2.0 and that is pretty good!

If you are right about that, then of course! Brown had good hands, though, and I didn't think Stevenson was much of a receiver. Do you think he will make it to #156? I would take him there, but not at #81.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:16 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Jenkins or bustImage

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:29 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I've read and heard a ton on how much they like Richie Grant from UCF too.

My preference would be Williams and one of the Cs. But I'm guessing T is a higher priority for these guys. A Jenkins/Hunt blindside for Tua could prove to be pretty great.

Moehrig could be a steal. He and Jones starting in 2022 instead of Rowe/McCain at $8-10M less per year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:36 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Ski_Money wrote:
Jenkins or bustImage

Ouch -- that graphic is damning! We also have Hunt. Presumably Hunt, Kindley, and Jackson will all improve, especially from year one to year two. The other guys will not be getting better, though, and Skura is stop-gap anyway.

If we do take Williams, then there will still be some good lineman at 50, and a second round pick should be considered a building block. I think the Ohio State guard, Wyatt Davis, is one to watch. He was much higher rated a year ago and battled through an injury this past year. He was dominant when healthy, though, and I'd be happy to get him at #50.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phinished wrote:

My preference would be to get Humphrey first then a RB after that. I know analysts are high on Quinn Meinerz but I want the guy with the proven track record.

I like Stevenson too but think that Trey Sermon could be a better overall back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Per PFF our OL is among the very worst in the league. I don't see how we don't grab 1 or 2 OL today.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:32 pm 

I love Williams, but I'm with Jammer. I'd almost rather get Humphrey at 36 and Sermon later. Sermon's no joke, he just hasn't played a lot in the past 2 years. My first choice would be Williams and Meinerz though, if I felt sure we could get Meinerz at 50.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:56 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Don't kill the messenger, but there is a lot of chatter going on about Miami's love for RB Michael Carter. He won over the coaches at the Senior Bowl.

Same thing has been said about both Meinerz and Humphrey.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:26 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Jason La Canfora (who does not have a great track record or at least didn't in the past) tweeted that Miami tried to move back up to get Najee Harris.

Plan B should be interesting tonight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Jason La Canfora (who does not have a great track record or at least didn't in the past) tweeted that Miami tried to move back up to get Najee Harris.

He’s the NFL Net’s Omar.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:39 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:

They had to know the Steelers were going to take Harris (worst kept secret in the draft), so they would have had to move all the way up to 23 from 36. That would have been costly.

If they want Carter, they can probably get him at 50, but not 81. They could get cute and try to thread the needle by trading and drafting him in the late 50s, but it isn't worth the risk if they really like him. Carter would replace either Ahmed or Gaskin. We do need a bigger back, too. Not sure if Malcolm Brown can fill that role.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:00 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

According to this second round mock, we would need to move up to #48 to get Williams. I could go for that plan -- take Jenkins at 36 and Williams at 48.

Humphrey doesn't go until 61 here. If that is the case, take Williams at 36 and then Humphrey or Dickerson or Wyatt Davis at 50.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... 5ezw0dq99k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:55 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:

He’s the NFL Net’s Omar.

Hahahaha

That is pure gold right there

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:58 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
If they want Carter, they can probably get him at 50, but not 81. They could get cute and try to thread the needle by trading and drafting him in the late 50s, but it isn't worth the risk if they really like him. Carter would replace either Ahmed or Gaskin. We do need a bigger back, too. Not sure if Malcolm Brown can fill that role.

Carter doesn't appear to be much smaller than Aaron Jones who was linked to Miami as a free agent.

Would be interesting if Miami moved back from pick 81 to acquire some additional Day 3 capital, then doubled down by grabbing a bigger back to pair with Carter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

We also could see some Post June 1 cuts of bigger backs who Miami could target as cheap free agents.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:12 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
We also could see some Post June 1 cuts of bigger backs who Miami could target as cheap free agents.

I like your first idea better (move down a bit and pick up a big back, say Stevenson, to pair with Carter). I can give a long list of free agent and trade bust running backs, going all the way back to the next guy we got after Ricky Williams.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:

I like your first idea better (move down a bit and pick up a big back, say Stevenson, to pair with Carter). I can give a long list of free agent and trade bust running backs, going all the way back to the next guy we got after Ricky Williams.

I'm not suggesting it as a long term move, but maybe a complimentary guy for 2021 and 2022.

Then again, who would have thought Gaskin would be a serviceable option? Maybe they find a 7th Round guy who can pair with someone like Carter?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:22 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I know this is Round 2 talk, but I wouldn't sleep on Miami waiting until later to grab a center.

I've read they like a few Notre Dame guys who have the ability to play both guard and center. Maybe they jump from 156 into the 4th Round to get one of them or Drew Dalman.

I really don't know what to expect tonight. Waddle and an edge at 18 were not exactly secrets prior to yesterday.

From what I gather they are fans of Michael Carter, Creed Humphrey, Quinn Meinerz, Aaron Banks, Robert Hainsey, Richie Grant, Baron Browning, Jabril Cox, Pete Werner, Jamar Johnson, Nico Collins and Divine Deable (probably more names I am forgetting).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:53 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
I know this is Round 2 talk, but I wouldn't sleep on Miami waiting until later to grab a center.

I've read they like a few Notre Dame guys who have the ability to play both guard and center. Maybe they jump from 156 into the 4th Round to get one of them or Drew Dalman.

I really don't know what to expect tonight. Waddle and an edge at 18 were not exactly secrets prior to yesterday.

From what I gather they are fans of Michael Carter, Creed Humphrey, Quinn Meinerz, Aaron Banks, Robert Hainsey, Richie Grant, Baron Browning, Jabril Cox, Pete Werner, Jamar Johnson, Nico Collins and Divine Deable (probably more names I am forgetting).

Williams is probably the one least likely to make it to 50, so my first thought was to grab him at 36 and then hope one of the OL is there at 50. On the other hand, if the RB they really want is Carter, then it makes sense to take Jenkins or Humphrey at 36. If we take Jenkins at 36 and Humphrey is still there at 50, we should take him, too! Then trade up from 81 to get Carter, using some future capital. Waddle, Jenkins, Humphrey, and Carter -- that would be a big boost to our offense.

Having said all that, I haven't seen enough of Carter to have a strong opinion, so I lean towards Williams.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:12 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think they also like Ben St. Juste, CB, MIN and Damar Hamlin, S, PIT too. Both Senior Bowl guys.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Just looking at who's left, I would think J O-K, Moehrig, Jenkins, and Williams are 4 of the first few off the board tonight.

NYJ and ATL picking before MIA makes me apprehensive about landing Williams.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:13 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

IND had a big back this year. Stevie Scott.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
Phinished wrote:

If you are right about that, then of course! Brown had good hands, though, and I didn't think Stevenson was much of a receiver. Do you think he will make it to #156? I would take him there, but not at #81.

He will slide and he can catch....they just don’t use him that way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:41 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Another reach in the second. Denver laughed as they moved ahead for Williams. Grier, you are a moron.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The sky is falling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:49 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:

Not knocking Carter, but he is Gaskin plus. Basically the same size. Might be faster, but not a lower your head & get that one yd back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Eichenberg makes sense....guess they had to move up to beat out JAX.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:58 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Trading up is a good thing this year

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next