Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:31 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
Overview:

Pass-catching tight end with decent speed and plus ball skills but a concerning lack of consistent aggression in his play. Long is much too passive and unskilled as a run blocker at this point of his development to consistently help against NFL competition. He also needs to get better at controlling his catch space with body control and physicality. However, when the ball is in the air, he plays with a plus level of tracking and focus to make tougher catches look easy, including throws that are down near his feet. He doesn't look like a burner, but he does have success running the seam and working over routes, so play speed should not be an issue. He's unlikely to ever be much of a blocker, so he must learn to become more competitive and feisty in fighting for his space and the football.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/hunter-lo ... ecda5dccae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:33 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:00 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinfever draft analysis on Hunter Long ...

Dolphins pick Round 3 - Boston College TE Hunter Long (draft analysis)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Buh bye Smythe

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:18 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Ski_Money wrote:
Buh bye Smythe
Smythe is a blocker. Long is not.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:25 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:
Buh bye Smythe
Smythe is a blocker. Long is not.

Head scratcher here....not a blocker, which would help. If you wanted a pass catching TE, why not sit at 3 and take Pitts? I suppose this could help in red zone sets....

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:34 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:
Head scratcher here....not a blocker, which would help. If you wanted a pass catching TE, why not sit at 3 and take Pitts? I suppose this could help in red zone sets....
Exactly what I thought.

I wonder if SF drafting Lance changed Atl. pick? If Lance is there at No. 4 do the Falcons draft him or still take Pitts.

Plus Miami trade for Adam Shaheen last yr and then Miami extended him.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:35 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I don't understand this pick, at least not at this point in the draft. What need does he fill? Couldn't we use Jabril Cox at ILB more?

Evidently we were more excited about Michael Carter than NFL evaluators were, because he will go at least an entire round later than what I expected.

I am trying to remember when I have been excited about Dolphin's pick in the last several years. Last year, the only one I liked was Curtis Weaver (then he got hurt and we traded him). Myles Gasking two years ago. Mike Gesicki three years ago. That's about it. Usually I scratch my head and think we draft guys too early. [Note: I'm not claiming to know more than they do -- obviously they spend infinitely much more time getting to know the players than I do, and I mostly go by what I read in scouting reports. It just shows how much difference there usually is between those reports and what the Dolphins think.]

Last year, Josh Jones dropped more than a round further than expected. This year, Osuwu-Koramoah, Ojulari, Ronnie Perkins, and Michael Carter all dropped. We seem to seldom pick these "value" players (Tunsel is a notable exception). But, maybe there is good reason they dropped and they were over-rated by all of arm-chair drafters.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:01 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

prof123 wrote:
I don't understand this pick, at least not at this point in the draft. What need does he fill? Couldn't we use Jabril Cox at ILB more?

Yesterday was a big head-scratcher from me. First, using a 2nd round pick and next year's 3rd round pick to trade up and get Eichenberg (whom I do like a lot but is anyone worth 2 second day draft picks?). The other was drafing a tight end who doesn't block. He did have a 3rd round grade, so, it should be very interesting what this means. Grier/Flores are a smart team, and a move like this was discussed at length prior to the draft. I am always wary of drafting tight ends (even with Pitts) because it is hard to forecast how well they will actually do in the NFL ... especially one-dimensional ones.

Dave Hyde (Sun Sentinel) wrote:
4. Boston College tight end Hunter Long was the third-round pick (No. 81), and you can make an easy read what this means. Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe are in the final year of their rookie contracts. Are the Dolphins sold on either to re-up them? You don’t invest a third-round pick in a tight end unless you’re expecting him to fill a role here. Sure, competition is the byword. But as with the pick of the safety Holland there’s an underlying message here about coming decisions at the position.

https://news.yahoo.com/hyde10-second-ro ... 00254.html

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:07 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:43 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kiper loved the Hunter Long pick.

Mel Kiper (ESPN+) wrote:
The pick: Hunter Long, TE, Boston College (No. 81)

Long was one of the most productive tight ends in the country last season, and he's probably already a better blocker than Dolphins starter Mike Gesicki. He's a complete tight end. I love this pick for Miami, which is trying to help Tua Tagovailoa in Year 2.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insi ... ay-2-recap

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:35 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I'm liking it more, since I think it signals Miami will move on from the under productive Gesicki. However would have rather had a RB1 at that pick.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mel Kiper (ESPN+) wrote:
The pick: Hunter Long, TE, Boston College (No. 81)

Long was one of the most productive tight ends in the country last season, and he's probably already a better blocker than Dolphins starter Mike Gesicki. He's a complete tight end. I love this pick for Miami, which is trying to help Tua Tagovailoa in Year 2.

The Ol’ Kiss O’ Death

Dphins4me wrote:
However would have rather had a RB1 at that pick.

If we are deciding to pick between two players with the same draft grade, I think I go RB over TE almost every time. Pitts was an all time exception this class.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:56 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
I'm liking it more, since I think it signals Miami will move on from the under productive Gesicki. However would have rather had a RB1 at that pick.

Yeah, I think Gesicki may price his way out of town.

I did zero research on Long but the fan boy analysts have compared his game to Kyle Rudolph.

One of Smythe or Shaheen is probably on the chopping block this summer. I'm surprised because both played well when given opportunities last year.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:44 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I have a gut feeling Mike Gesicki may be traded this summer

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:52 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
I have a gut feeling Mike Gesicki may be traded this summer

Maybe so. If he plays well enough to demand a big contract, we won't keep him because we won't want to pay $10 million per year for a tight end that can't block. If he doesn't play well enough to demand a big contract, then there is no reason to keep him, either.

So, maybe this is the best time to trade him. What could we get? Given he has just one year left, we could probably only get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:01 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
What could we get? Given he has just one year left, we could probably only get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him.

I'm thinking player swap and a draft pick in return. Maybe a running back?

The team just cleared a bunch of money by releasing McCain.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:02 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
If he plays well enough to demand a big contract, we won't keep him because we won't want to pay $10 million per year for a tight end that can't block.

Is 10/yr really going to be Gesicki’s aim?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
prof123 wrote:
If he plays well enough to demand a big contract, we won't keep him because we won't want to pay $10 million per year for a tight end that can't block.

Is 10/yr really going to be Gesicki’s aim?

Hunter Henry just got $12.5 million annual average. His first three years were not dramatically different from Gesicki's if you look at the stats.

If Miami lets Gesicki walk they'll probably get a 3rd Round Comp pick. They aren't going to get better than that for a guy on an expiring deal right now, but maybe they flip him for a legit running back or linebacker plus a pick (lets say conditional picks).

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Hunter Henry just got $12.5 million annual average. His first three years were not dramatically different from Gesicki's if you look at the stats.

If Miami lets Gesicki walk they'll probably get a 3rd Round Comp pick. They aren't going to get better than that for a guy on an expiring deal right now, but maybe they flip him for a legit running back or linebacker plus a pick (lets say conditional picks).

Sports agents have done everything in their power to make tenured roster building impossible. 2001-2019 New England is the most enigmatic team in any sport I can think of so I will call them specifically the exception to the rule when I say we won’t be seeing dynastic rosters being built up like they did in the 60s-90s maybe ever again. When your all time franchise QB has a spouse that earns more than he does I’d say that’s a beautiful recipe for the cap being less of a headache. Gisele is the reason NE was able to build up those teams she deserves more credit!

:)

In other words, agents are homewreckers. There should be no universe where Gesicki eats up over $10,000,000 of the salary cap pie. You notice how almost every position on the field is being argued as a premium role nowadays? Everybody but the FB and RB ‘deserves’ to eat up at least 10% of the cap well beyond their means of actually producing all they have to do in most cases is just be a serviceable player nothing outstanding. So many of these athletes get that juicy excess fat inked onto their contract to the overall roster’s detriment but that’s the poison management has to choose when dealing with such a mercenary player mentality.

I understand the insane amount of profit the Owners earn and that the cash has to trickle down below them somewhere, Ross isn’t a kingpin, but with a strict salary cap teams need to be as financially conscious as possible to glue a roster of 53 together all the way up thru February.

I hope Davie has patience with Flores building his roster withstanding him falling flat on his face. Regimes need time. Especially when they are dealing with slightly above average players demanding an unreasonable slice of that locker room cheddar.

Giselle should be standing right beside Brady when they inevitably erect that life size bronze statue of him outside Foxboro stadium. Now that I think about it, Flores needs to pimp Tua out into some celebrity dating circles. The cap may depend on it. It pays to think outside the box!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:

Sports agents have done everything in their power to make tenured roster building impossible. 2001-2019 New England is the most enigmatic team in any sport I can think of so I will call them specifically the exception to the rule when I say we won’t be seeing dynastic rosters being built up like they did in the 60s-90s maybe ever again. When your all time franchise QB has a spouse that earns more than he does I’d say that’s a beautiful recipe for the cap being less of a headache. Gisele is the reason NE was able to build up those teams she deserves more credit!

:)

In other words, agents are homewreckers. There should be no universe where Gesicki eats up over $10,000,000 of the salary cap pie. You notice how almost every position on the field is being argued as a premium role nowadays? Everybody but the FB and RB ‘deserves’ to eat up at least 10% of the cap well beyond their means of actually producing all they have to do in most cases is just be a serviceable player nothing outstanding. So many of these athletes get that juicy excess fat inked onto their contract to the overall roster’s detriment but that’s the poison management has to choose when dealing with such a mercenary player mentality.

I understand the insane amount of profit the Owners earn and that the cash has to trickle down below them somewhere, Ross isn’t a kingpin, but with a strict salary cap teams need to be as financially conscious as possible to glue a roster of 53 together all the way up thru February.

I hope Davie has patience with Flores building his roster withstanding him falling flat on his face. Regimes need time. Especially when they are dealing with slightly above average players demanding an unreasonable slice of that locker room cheddar.

Giselle should be standing right beside Brady when they inevitably erect that life size bronze statue of him outside Foxboro stadium. Now that I think about it, Flores needs to pimp Tua out into some celebrity dating circles. The cap may depend on it. It pays to think outside the box!

It was not just Giselle....watch and see what kind of money Brady gets working for their organization when he finally retires as the NFL’s first cyborg QB in 20 years.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:39 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Yep. I have a way to do it, though, and I've mentioned it here before (and everyone laughed at me). Basically, the idea is to accumulate many picks, always playing the long game. Trade third round picks for second rounders the next year. Trade second rounders for future first rounders. Trade first rounders for two future first rounders. Etc. It will hurt the first few years, but no worse than any rebuild. Eventually you will have five or six picks in the first two rounds each year that you will actually use to draft players. Use them to draft guys who are ready to start within a year. Very seldom sign players to a second contract (just QB and a couple of other prime positions like OT, DE, and CB); rather, let them walk and take the comp picks. NEVER sign free agents from other teams. Such an approach would leave a team in excellent salary cap position, so more of the teams own stars can be resigned. It would work.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
Yep. I have a way to do it, though, and I've mentioned it here before (and everyone laughed at me). Basically, the idea is to accumulate many picks, always playing the long game. Trade third round picks for second rounders the next year. Trade second rounders for future first rounders. Trade first rounders for two future first rounders. Etc. It will hurt the first few years, but no worse than any rebuild. Eventually you will have five or six picks in the first two rounds each year that you will actually use to draft players. Use them to draft guys who are ready to start within a year. Very seldom sign players to a second contract (just QB and a couple of other prime positions like OT, DE, and CB); rather, let them walk and take the comp picks. NEVER sign free agents from other teams. Such an approach would leave a team in excellent salary cap position, so more of the teams own stars can be resigned. It would work.

That’s pretty radical

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:33 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
That’s pretty radical

It is a bit extreme, but I'd argue that the Steelers and Patriots used a lesser version of it already. They have a pattern of trading away pretty good players who only have a year left on their contract. Other than their franchise QB, they have not, in general, signed players to huge contracts. (Of course, with the Patriots, they completely changed course this past season and went bananas in free agency. This makes me think B'c'k is going for it all now and doesn't care at all about the future -- maybe he is about done coaching.) The Steelers even let their superstars leave (Brown and Bell).

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:18 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Sports agents have done everything in their power to make tenured roster building impossible.

Yep, their job isn't to build a team but to get the best contract for their client. The more their client makes, the larger their salary. When Rosenhaus used to have many Dolphins as his clients back in the early 2000s, I used to like to call him Rosen-a$$. He did good by them.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
That’s pretty radical

It is a bit extreme, but I'd argue that the Steelers and Patriots used a lesser version of it already. They have a pattern of trading away pretty good players who only have a year left on their contract. Other than their franchise QB, they have not, in general, signed players to huge contracts. (Of course, with the Patriots, they completely changed course this past season and went bananas in free agency. This makes me think B'c'k is going for it all now and doesn't care at all about the future -- maybe he is about done coaching.) The Steelers even let their superstars leave (Brown and Bell).

Good luck convincing the owner & GM with that roster building method during your interview. I definitely respect the idea of mixing things up a little and playing against tradition it’s entertaining I guess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:48 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's your first look at draft pick TE Hunter Long on day 2 of OTAs. He finds the end zone with a nice pass from Brissett (2nd video clip).

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]