Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Allbright's Guess
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:10 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

You guys know I think he gets the best inside info. His best guess for the draft as of today:

1. Lawrence
2. Wilson
3. Lance
4. Pitts
5. Chase
6. Smith
7. Parsons
8. Fields (Patriots trade up)

I think I would be a bit underwhelmed if it played out like this. Smith is going to be a weapon on any team that drafts him, but is he an alpha target in the NFL like Pitts or Chase might be? Not sure trading back up was worth it if this is the result. Would you let the Pats trade the farm to you to get their QB? Seems counterproductive.

I go back and forth on Smith more than any prospect I can remember.

Post subject: Re: Allbright's Guess
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:46 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
You guys know I think he gets the best inside info. His best guess for the draft as of today:

1. Lawrence
2. Wilson
3. Lance
4. Pitts
5. Chase
6. Smith
7. Parsons

I think I would be a bit underwhelmed if it played out like this. Smith is going to be a weapon on any team that drafts him, but is he an alpha target in the NFL like Pitts or Chase might be? Not sure trading back up was worth it if this is the result. Would you let the Pats trade the farm to you to get their QB? Seems counterproductive.

If this (the first five picks) happens, I'd get on the phone with Denver and trade down three spots if they agreed to take Fields. Maybe not even ask that much (a second rounder). Then I'd draft Smith, Waddle, or Sewell (whoever made it to #9). But I'd be very disappointed to not get Chase or Pitts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Smith turns out to be an Alpha1 then he will be the only player like him in NFL history. This team’s WR room still stings fresh with injuries. I wouldn’t think Smith will be the selection.

Hope for nothing but the best for him, he seems like a great person but I just can’t see them investing in those odds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'm really hoping there is fire to the Mac Jones smoke. That changes #4 completely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:20 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:

1. Lawrence
2. Wilson
3. Lance
4. Pitts
5. Chase
6. Smith
7. Parsons

If this (the first five picks) happens, I'd get on the phone with Denver and trade down three spots if they agreed to take Fields. Maybe not even ask that much (a second rounder). Then I'd draft Smith, Waddle, or Sewell (whoever made it to #9). But I'd be very disappointed to not get Chase or Pitts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:18 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jgod1 wrote:
I'm really hoping there is fire to the Mac Jones smoke. That changes #4 completely.

Tubby bear may not even be selected in the 1st round. If he goes inside the first 8 I will come back and eat crow. Hey...the NY Football Giants took a Duke QB top 5 a short few years ago so anything is possible but I just look at this guy and see nothing but a symptom of the media hype train with Mac Jones.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:19 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Who was the last TE to be coveted with a top 5 pick? Doesn’t happen very often. Maybe once or twice a decade. No matter where that cat goes I’ll be interested to see how he performs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:

1. Lawrence
2. Wilson
3. Lance
4. Pitts
5. Chase
6. Smith
7. Parsons

Devious! I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Who was the last TE to be coveted with a top 5 pick? Doesn’t happen very often. Maybe once or twice a decade. No matter where that cat goes I’ll be interested to see how he performs.

Vernon Davis?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:53 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:

I don't think Denver is aggressively looking at rookie QBs. They want a vet to push Lock (by the way, I'd trade a pick for Lock in a heartbeat to be the backup).

I'm also starting to agree with Allbright that Fields' hype is more media than NFL. According to him, teams are all over the map on Fields' evaluation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:37 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Kellen Winslow Jr. went 6th I think.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 am 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

The only thing I wish about Chase was that he played last year. Him not playing sort of gives me a "meh", just because I simply don't know what he did during all that time off. He may have stayed on the private workout train, doing his thing, I have no idea... I'd really just like an update on that. The other side is hopefully he is fresh and ready to go. But there is a thing called "ring rust" in fighting that "most" fighters suffer from, I'm not sure if that same mindset sort of applies to the player in this situation. It'll be interesting to watch.

As an Alabama fan, y'all know how I feel about Bama players. I didn't want Tua. I don't want Devonta. If they come here I'll support them obvisouly, but I just don't want to draft them. I don't want Waddle either. Devonta is used to blowing the top off of defenses and Mac Jones is used to throwing Smith the ball with 3-4 yards of separation. (not exact science, I was just throwing numbers out to shed light on the point). It'll be much different in the NFL... so that leads me to the next statement - Mac Jones is a fierce competitor, as in, FIERCE. He loves the game and he loves to play and they had to dial his competitive nature down at Alabama even. He would get so mad at imself and upset with himself when he'd do things wrong as a young one behind the other talented guys before him (Jalen and Tua). He had his day at Alabama and I'm thankful for those, but ow that translates to the NFL, I'm not so sure about.

So as it sits, if I had my rathers, I'd rather just take Pitts if we can land him. If he pans out and turns into an elite TE, those bring the most benefit to our team long term, even if Tua doesn't work out, the next QB will be thankful he is there. And obvisouly it would help Tua now as well. To have him and Gesiki together might be a nice matchup problem for some defenses.

I still think we need OL help too though, so who knwos.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:35 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

All in on Pitts here:
https://www.sbnation.com/2021/4/15/2238 ... t-dolphins

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:04 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Pitts might end up a great one, but highly touted TE picks often end up disappointing their teams. TJ Hockenson recently was taken with the #8 pick. Does anyone even know who that dude is? Gronik was a second rounder and Kielce a 3rd round pick. Mark Bavaro was a fourth round pick. Keith Jackson was a first rounder, so yes...it can happen.

https://fansided.com/2019/10/22/nfl-dra ... noah-fant/

We are lucky as hell we have Gesicki and a stable of complimentary TE’s. Currently, we have no WR who can get enough separation for our banjo armed QB. Draft Smith. He is the best at achieving separation and Tua, Parker, Williams and Gesicki will all benefit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:15 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

As much as I cannot stand the guy most times, I just read Omar describe Ja'Marr Chase as Jarvis Landry with speed.

Yup, give me that option all day long.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:29 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phinished wrote:
Pitts might end up a great one, but highly touted TE picks often end up disappointing their teams. TJ Hockenson recently was taken with the #8 pick. Does anyone even know who that dude is? Gronik was a second rounder and Kielce a 3rd round pick. Mark Bavaro was a fourth round pick. Keith Jackson was a first rounder, so yes...it can happen.

https://fansided.com/2019/10/22/nfl-dra ... noah-fant/

We are lucky as hell we have Gesicki and a stable of complimentary TE’s. Currently, we have no WR who can get enough separation for our banjo armed QB. Draft Smith. He is the best at achieving separation and Tua, Parker, Williams and Gesicki will all benefit.

If Gesicki has as good of a year as we need him to have from our #1 tight end, then he is going to be expensive to resign a year from now. The bonus for drafting Pitts is that would give us flexibility in resigning Gesicki.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:33 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Pitts, Chase, Sewell... in that order for me at #6.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:53 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
If Gesicki has as good of a year as we need him to have from our #1 tight end, then he is going to be expensive to resign a year from now. The bonus for drafting Pitts is that would give us flexibility in resigning Gesicki.

Yup. You're paying Gesicki at least $12 million per season if he has a good 2021.

I'm not saying Pitts isn't the guy, but there are some pretty good TE options in this draft if Miami is thinking beyond Gesicki.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]