Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:02 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Dolphins Q&A: Could Miami trade Xavien Howard and draft a top-rated cornerback?

A: Why would the Miami Dolphins trade Xavien Howard, unless he requests one?

How would trading him away be a smart strategy for team building, unless the Pro Bowl cornerback no longer wanted to be part of this organization for whatever reason? ...

Plenty of the whisperers regarding Howard centers around his discomfort with his contract, which pays him $12.1 million this season in the final year of the guaranteed option of the deal ...

The Dolphins need to figure out a way to get Howard to buy in, and the only way I see that happening is to restructure his contract — improving the terms, adding incentives and guaranteeing new money — otherwise this is headed to a pretty nasty divorce. ...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/mia ... story.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:31 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I can’t feed my family on $12.1 million. You are disrespecting me.

These athletes are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:54 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Sometimes players don't live up to the (guaranteeed part of) the contract that they sign, but the teams still have to pay them. Other times, like this one, the players out-perform their contracts, and that is just part of the business. It doesn't matter that he is better and paid less than Byron Jones, who signed after him. This happens all the time with rookies on their rookie contracts who outperform their veteran counterparts on their second contracts.

The Dolphins took a chance on Howard and paid him the going rate when there were still injury questions, and their reward is that they are now getting a good deal for him in the latter years of his contract. If he doesn't understand this, then good riddance. If he thought he was worth more than his contract, he should have built in incentives to cover that case. I have no patience for players not honoring their contracts when earning these salaries.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:02 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
I can’t feed my family on $12.1 million. You are disrespecting me.

These athletes are ridiculous.

Their agents are the ones whispering those ideas into their ear. They profit well off it so it’s a healthy marriage but kind’ve a cancer to proper roster building if winning really was your bottom line.

The irony is many of these dummies see capitalism as evil. I always thought the military was a good sell as a career because you essentially get paid to stay in shape. Imagine the more extreme example of that being a professional athlete and still complaining. This is one reason among many why a massive percentage of viewers just don’t bother anymore.

I don’t really pay much attention at this point either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:22 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

The irony is many of these dummies see capitalism as evil. I always thought the military was a good sell as a career because you essentially get paid to stay in shape. Imagine the more extreme example of that being a professional athlete and still complaining.

That may be true in tennis, basketball, and golf. In hockey, boxing, and the NFL, I'm not so sure. I've seen too many photos of these guys spitting out their teeth and walking with a cane in their sixties to view these sports as good for one's health.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]