All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:37 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is probably what is going to happen until pick 6, but I seriously question trading up for a guard later. I'm very happy with the Dolphins drafting Smith at 6, but I would prefer Chase or Pitts more. And, I hate the Patsies getting Justin Fields if this mock were true.

Todd McShay Mock (ESPN+) wrote:
1. Jacksonville Jaguars
Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson

2. New York Jets
Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

3. San Francisco 49ers (via MIA/HOU)
Mac Jones, QB, Alabama

4. Atlanta Falcons
Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

5. Cincinnati Bengals
Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU

6. Miami Dolphins (via PHI)
DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama

I love Miami trading out of No. 3, picking up additional draft picks -- including a 2023 first-rounder -- and still getting one of the players it would have been looking at in its original slot. Will Fuller V is on only a one-year deal, and bringing in Smith to join him and DeVante Parker would give Tua Tagovailoa the weapons he needs in the passing game. Smith is an explosive and savvy route runner, and let's not forget that he was one of Tagovailoa's favorite targets in Tuscaloosa.

7. Carolina Panthers (via mock trade with DET)
Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

8. Detroit Lions (via mock trade with CAR)
Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama

11. New England Patriots (via mock trade with NYG)
Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

16. Miami Dolphins (via mock trade with ARI)
Alijah Vera-Tucker, G, USC

With DeVonta Smith off to help Tua Tagovailoa, we can now look to protection. Vera-Tucker has played tackle, but he's a better fit at guard in the NFL. Miami took 34 sacks last season, and Tagovailoa was blitzed at the fourth-highest rate in the league (35.3% of his dropbacks).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insi ... n-qbs-land

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:30 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Hate the trade up. Dumbest thing I've seen so far.

But I will admit this is a very difficult draft to predict. Not as much info coming out as in previous years.

I'll try to have my mock up this weekend Dave. Sorry for the delay.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:19 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I can't see them trading up for a guard. I can see them staying at #18 and picking an OT. I can also see them taking one of Humphrey-Dickerson-Meinerz with their las 2nd Rounder.

One or the other. Not both.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:07 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jgod1 wrote:
I can't see them trading up for a guard. I can see them staying at #18 and picking an OT. I can also see them taking one of Humphrey-Dickerson-Meinerz with their las 2nd Rounder.

One or the other. Not both.

Typically, the Dolphins either stay there or trade down. I cannot remember them ever trading up except for maybe Wannstedt getting suckered into moving up a spot when Belicheat floated a rumor that he was also interested in Vernon Carey (G) back in 2004.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:25 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Penei Sewell has been touted as the best OL to come out of the draft in the last few years and McShay doesn't have him going in the Top 8? Then he has the Phins moving up to take a guard?

Well, I hope he falls to 6. I know it's not a glamour position, but this guy will change your offense.

Last edited by shularino on Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:34 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I think there could be a trade up, but it will be into the bottom of Round 1 for a pass rusher.

Still trying to piece together a mock but I currently have Miami going

Devonta Smith at 6

Najee Harris at 18

Maybe Miami trades up for Joseph Ossai, but its possible they wait on someone like Rashad Weaver in Round 2.

I think New England is going to make a big trade up with Detroit for Justin Fields at 7. Carolina is going to deal picks for Sam Darnold. Some how some way I see New Orleans moving up to get Mac Jones but I'm not sure where.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:58 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
Still trying to piece together a mock but I currently have Miami going

Devonta Smith at 6

Najee Harris at 18

Maybe Miami trades up for Joseph Ossai, but its possible they wait on someone like Rashad Weaver in Round 2.

I think New England is going to make a big trade up with Detroit for Justin Fields at 7. Carolina is going to deal picks for Sam Darnold. Some how some way I see New Orleans moving up to get Mac Jones but I'm not sure where.

I agree with you about Harris at 18. While drafting a RB in the first round isn't usually considered good value, Grier probably believes it is something we can afford to do given our bounty of picks in the first two rounds. If they don't draft Harris at 18, I wouldn't be surprised if they took Javonta Williams at 36, which is also higher than most mocks have him going.

However, I disagree about Smith. I don't think there is any way they take him over Chase or Pitts, and I'm not even sure they take him over Waddle. He is fluid as can be with incredible ball skills, but ultimately I think that 170 pound frame is going to scare them away from picking him at 6.

It will be interesting to see what N.E. does at QB, because it will indicate Belichick's thoughts about what is needed from the QB in today's game. Jones is more in the Brady mold and Fields is Cam Newton ten years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:23 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
However, I disagree about Smith. I don't think there is any way they take him over Chase or Pitts, and I'm not even sure they take him over Waddle. He is fluid as can be with incredible ball skills, but ultimately I think that 170 pound frame is going to scare them away from picking him at 6.

Pitts and Chase won't be there. I'm believing that more and more as information comes out.

When I see Pauline and Allbright consistently say Smith for the Dolphins I don't take it lightly. They said the same stuff about Tua last year when many others were saying Miami was now favoring other QBs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:23 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
prof123 wrote:

Pitts and Chase won't be there. I'm believing that more and more as information comes out.

When I see Pauline and Allbright consistently say Smith for the Dolphins I don't take it lightly. They said the same stuff about Tua last year when many others were saying Miami was now favoring other QBs.

I can see Pitts and Chase being gone, but I can't believe Grier moved up to #6 to take Smith. If Pitts and Chase are gone, then that means one of the top four QBs (or two, if Sewell has been taken) is still on the board at 6. Throw in Mac Jones, too. There will be demand for the #6 spot. I guess we had this same conversation the other day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:41 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
I can see Pitts and Chase being gone, but I can't believe Grier moved up to #6 to take Smith. If Pitts and Chase are gone, then that means one of the top four QBs (or two, if Sewell has been taken) is still on the board at 6. Throw in Mac Jones, too. There will be demand for the #6 spot. I guess we had this same conversation the other day.

Everything you're saying makes absolute sense and I don't disagree with it necessarily.

You would think a trade up like that is for an athletic freak who changes a game.

I just can't get past the guys who have been saying Smith all along because they hear things we aren't privy to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:12 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
I just can't get past the guys who have been saying Smith all along because they hear things we aren't privy to.

Good point. I am curious, though -- who do they hear it from? And why would anyone in the know let such information get out? It seems just as likely to be a smokescreen (or, at least is should be).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:33 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
prof123 wrote:

Everything you're saying makes absolute sense and I don't disagree with it necessarily.

You would think a trade up like that is for an athletic freak who changes a game.

I am curious what will you guys think if Pitts and/or Chase are on the board and Smith is drafted by Miami?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:42 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AQNOR wrote:
I am curious what will you guys think if Pitts and/or Chase are on the board and Smith is drafted by Miami?

I'd probably feel the same way I felt last year when they drafted Tua instead of Herbert. Once he is a Dolphin, I'll root for him and hope his body holds up in the NFL. Smith is very skilled in ways that cannot easily be coached.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:51 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Imagine a world where Pitts, Chase and Smith are all available. I take Pitts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:

Pitts makes the most sense as a match up nightmare.

Smith makes the most sense for a missing ingredient in Miami's offense.

But for some reason I really want it to be Chase. If he is that legit #1 type then Miami will have a weapon they've lacked for as long as I can remember.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]