WR Ja'marr Chase 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
TE Kyle Pitts 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
WR Devonte Smith 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Someone else 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 15
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:13 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is an important pick, because the Dolphins will probably pick the player that the Bengals do not draft out of Chase, Pitts, and Smith.

Yesterday, Bengals HC Zac Taylor attended the Florida Pro Day over the LSU Pro Day. This is all pre-draft stuff, so, don't read too much into it except that he may be open to drafting Pitts ... or wants Chase is encouraging the Falcons, who pick one spot ahead of the Bengals, to draft Pitts.

NBC Sports Edge wrote:
Joe Burrow faced pressure on 32.3 percent of his drop backs in 2020, the 15th highest rate in the NFL.

Burrow has reportedly lobbied the Bengals front office to take LSU wideout Ja'Marr Chase with the fifth pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, forgoing on a top offensive lineman who could bolster protection for Burrow. In his rookie campaign, Burrow didn't face nearly as much pressure as QBs like Russell Wilson, Daniel Jones, and Kirk Cousins. Pass volume meant Burrow absorbed the second most sacks (31) before his season ended in Week 10 with a brutal Week 10 ACL injury. Burrow wasn't particularly good under pressure, completing a meager 37.3 percent of his passes when facing pressure in the pocket -- the second lowest mark in the league, better than only Drew Lock. Whether the Bengals go with Chase -- a widely held theory in NFL circles -- or top offensive line prospect Penei Sewell will be a central storyline in the draft's first night.

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football ... joe-burrow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:39 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think they'll take Chase........even though they should take Sewell. Chase is a money player that draws butts to the seats. The Cincy Ownership will take that over wins.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I went with Chase, too. They need OL help, but it seems that teams that have offensive minded head coaches want weapons before protection. I think the GM will give him the best WR in the draft who also has great chemistry with Burrows. That would be some of the mindset with the Dolphins drafting Smith is his skillset and chemistry with Tua.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

You can make the same argument for Cincinnati that I've been making for Miami concerning WR.

They don't have a dependable LT at the moment with Jonah Williams being injured in his first two seasons (plus he can move inside to guard).

Cincinnati has Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins. They can grab another WR on Day 2. If Pitts is available that might be a different story but my gut says he goes to Atlanta at 4.

Between Sewell and Chase I think the smarter move is protecting your QB.

We have seen Matt Ryan put up stats with great weapons but get killed behind a shoddy o-line for years. Burrow could suffer the same fate if it is not addressed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:06 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

They will take Sewell. I'll bet the house on it. That line as it is will get Joe Burrow killed. He already spent his rookie year on IR and the Bengals need to make sure that doesn't happen again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
They will take Sewell. I'll bet the house on it. That line as it is will get Joe Burrow killed. He already spent his rookie year on IR and the Bengals need to make sure that doesn't happen again.

I tend to agree with this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:46 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I agree that Sewell to the Bengals makes the most sense.

But it's the Bengals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:00 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Suppose Sewell is available when we pick. Which WRs would you pick instead of Sewell, if they also are available?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:05 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

ArtieChokePhin wrote:

Its what I would do, but as jgod said - it is the Bengals.

There are some pretty good options at the top of Round 2 or on Day 2 for them.

Dillon Radunz, Alex Leatherwood, Brady Christensen and James Hudson.

Leatherwood is similar to Williams in that both can play tackle or guard.

The idea of deploying Chase, Higgins and Boyd might be too tempting for them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
Suppose Sewell is available when we pick. Which WRs would you pick instead of Sewell, if they also are available?

I'd take Sewell over any of the receivers. He's the best player in the draft and addresses an obvious need.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:21 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

shularino wrote:
prof123 wrote:

I'd take Sewell over any of the receivers. He's the best player in the draft and addresses an obvious need.

I might take him over Waddle and Smith. But I think I'd take Chase or Pitts over Sewell.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So, check this out: Joe Burrow has NOT been lobbying for Ja'Marr Chase. That doesn't mean that the Bengals will not draft him, but after watching his teammate Justin Jefferson tear it up coming out of the gate last year, drafting Chase would be something the Bengals cannot pass up even though their OL needs some major work.

PFN wrote:
Talking on the March 31 episode of Draft Insiders, Wingo stated: “You’ve heard a lot this week about Joe Burrow potentially lobbying for Ja’Marr Chase. I can tell you that I got a text today from a member of the Bengals coaching staff that said, ‘I’ve seen that out there. Not sure where that came from. That’s not Joe, that’s not how he is at all. He gives us great intel on LSU guys but is respectful of his role as a player and ours as coaches and scouts.'”

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/beng ... arr-chase/

I also want to add this, but there is a possibility that the Panthers offer the Bengals something they cannot turn down for their pick 5. B/R also suggest the Patsies offer a load of picks for Pick 5.

B/R (Potential Trade Scenarios) wrote:
Potential Trade Scenarios: Panthers Trade Up to No. 5 with Cincinnati

Carolina has already been extremely aggressive in trying to upgrade under center, with ESPN's Adam Schefter reporting it floated the eighth pick and more in exchange for Matthew Stafford before he went to the Los Angeles Rams. That pick and plenty more capital will be in play again if the front office wants to move up, whether for Ohio State's Justin Fields or another passer who falls out of the top three.

This apparent desperation for an upgrade could be another team's gain in trade talks.

Look at the Cincinnati Bengals at No. 5, one of the rare top-10 teams secure at quarterback with Joe Burrow in the fold. They should merely be looking to take the best available offensive lineman or offense weapon when they get to the podium.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/293 ... the-top-10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:17 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I am thinking that if Sewell is there, they take him to keep Burrows healthy. A beat up QB is not going to help their team win.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Yep. Crossing my fingers on Option A ... which should be a no-brainer, but we are talking about the Bengals here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:30 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Great graphic, LOL!

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]