All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 21465
Location: Raleigh, NC
I would say that Warner is spot on with his analysis on Tua. His mind and arm was not up to the task of the deeper "chunk" throws. He had a fire-hose of information to learn last year as a rookie, and I believe the game will slow down for him this year with a full offseason.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
(Warner) said Tagovailoa was very good recognizing when he had to make quick throws and not “to take a negative play. Tua did a nice job recognizing where his quick throws were and getting it out of his hands. He throws really, really well on the move. He’s got accuracy. Really good on quicker decisions. When he had quick-hitter type plays, he did a nice job. Look how quickly he gets the ball out of his hands.”

But Warner said on plays deep downfield, “things that took a little longer, he struggled sometimes with the reads.” He encouraged Tagovailoa to more often read downfield opportunities first and then going to shorter patterns if nothing is available downfield.

Warner said Tagovailoa “needs to process things a little bit faster” with downfield throws and “trust what you’re seeing. Be ready to throw it. It’s the difference between college and pros. If you’re a little bit late... in the pros, somebody is going to make a play on that and you’re going to find yourself in trouble.”

Warner cited Tagovailoa’s “impatience in the pocket, especially when he’s trying to make these chunk throws. It’s something he needs to work on. If there’s one thing, he needs to get better on, it’s his patience and be aggressive enough to be able to attack some of these throws down the field, where he was very hesitant to make those throws and it hurt this football team that needed more of those [big plays] from the quarterback position.”


Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 am 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 pm
Posts: 104
Location: Ohio
Big Dave wrote:
I would say that Warner is spot on with his analysis on Tua. His mind and arm was not up to the task of the deeper "chunk" throws. He had a fire-hose of information to learn last year as a rookie, and I believe the game will slow down for him this year with a full offseason.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
(Warner) said Tagovailoa was very good recognizing when he had to make quick throws and not “to take a negative play. Tua did a nice job recognizing where his quick throws were and getting it out of his hands. He throws really, really well on the move. He’s got accuracy. Really good on quicker decisions. When he had quick-hitter type plays, he did a nice job. Look how quickly he gets the ball out of his hands.”

But Warner said on plays deep downfield, “things that took a little longer, he struggled sometimes with the reads.” He encouraged Tagovailoa to more often read downfield opportunities first and then going to shorter patterns if nothing is available downfield.

Warner said Tagovailoa “needs to process things a little bit faster” with downfield throws and “trust what you’re seeing. Be ready to throw it. It’s the difference between college and pros. If you’re a little bit late... in the pros, somebody is going to make a play on that and you’re going to find yourself in trouble.”

Warner cited Tagovailoa’s “impatience in the pocket, especially when he’s trying to make these chunk throws. It’s something he needs to work on. If there’s one thing, he needs to get better on, it’s his patience and be aggressive enough to be able to attack some of these throws down the field, where he was very hesitant to make those throws and it hurt this football team that needed more of those [big plays] from the quarterback position.”


Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy
Nailed it

Sent from my Nokia 9 using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:32 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 12615
Location: MA
Oh boy, this sounds like early years Tannehill.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 21465
Location: Raleigh, NC
:yay:


_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 21465
Location: Raleigh, NC
Keeping it real in the pro-Tua thread. I think this is a very fair analysis of comparing Tua and Steve Young.


_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:03 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2145
Big Dave wrote:
Keeping it real in the pro-Tua thread. I think this is a very fair analysis of comparing Tua and Steve Young.



Kind of soon to compare him to a HOFer, isn’t it? Young was also a fantastic runner as well as a great passer...I do not see Tua ever being able to run the ball like that with such consistency.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am
Posts: 820
Young was also 6'2" and was given the luxury of a couple of few years of holding a clipboard before being forced into action. (Those are two luxuries Tua will never have.) There used to be a lot more patience for QBs. Marino was really an exception at the time when he was an effective as a rookie.

But, I can see the comparison with regard to accuracy, arm strength, and intangibles. What is going to determine whether Tua succeeds is decision-making, period. If he can read the defense and figure out where to throw the ball in less than 2.2 seconds, he can be Drew Brees. If not, he could be like Colt McCoy (to use Jammer's comparisons). That's all that matters (other than staying healthy).


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1325
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
prof123 wrote:
What is going to determine whether Tua succeeds is decision-making, period. If he can read the defense and figure out where to throw the ball in less than 2.2 seconds, he can be Drew Brees. If not, he could be like Colt McCoy ....


Doggone it! * scratching my head * Why all these “if’s” on a 5th overall pick?? Shoulda been a slam dunk don’t you think? We are about to invest a third year on the position and still no light at the end of the tunnel.....too late to do something about it this year, so a 4th year may be looming.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am
Posts: 820
carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
What is going to determine whether Tua succeeds is decision-making, period. If he can read the defense and figure out where to throw the ball in less than 2.2 seconds, he can be Drew Brees. If not, he could be like Colt McCoy ....


Doggone it! * scratching my head * Why all these “if’s” on a 5th overall pick?? Shoulda been a slam dunk don’t you think? We are about to invest a third year on the position and still no light at the end of the tunnel.....too late to do something about it this year, so a 4th year may be looming.


Good grief. You are so impatient. Peyton Manning completed just 56% of his passes and threw 28 interceptions his rookie year, and he was a #1 pick. Brees, Mahommes, and Rodgers all rode the bench their rookie years. It almost always takes time to know for sure with QBs.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27085
Location: Miami, FL
prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
What is going to determine whether Tua succeeds is decision-making, period. If he can read the defense and figure out where to throw the ball in less than 2.2 seconds, he can be Drew Brees. If not, he could be like Colt McCoy ....


Doggone it! * scratching my head * Why all these “if’s” on a 5th overall pick?? Shoulda been a slam dunk don’t you think? We are about to invest a third year on the position and still no light at the end of the tunnel.....too late to do something about it this year, so a 4th year may be looming.


Good grief. You are so impatient. Peyton Manning completed just 56% of his passes and threw 28 interceptions his rookie year, and he was a #1 pick. Brees, Mahommes, and Rodgers all rode the bench their rookie years. It almost always takes time to know for sure with QBs.


And we all knew RIGHT AWAY with RGIII that he was the next big thing.

Until he wasn't...

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1325
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Manning, RG3....

Not an accurate comparison. Both showed the physical tools that Tua has not and that is something you can’t teach or obtain by playing. In Manning’s case he just needed experience. And RG3 was a casualty of injuries, not talent.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:13 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 12615
Location: MA
carreramia wrote:
Manning, RG3....

Not an accurate comparison. Both showed the physical tools that Tua has not and that is something you can’t teach or obtain by playing. In Manning’s case he just needed experience. And RG3 was a casualty of injuries, not talent.


Tua's accuracy and decision making in college were elite. No one can argue against that.

But yes, the physical side is worrisome.

The more I rewatch videos of him the more I think he'll be fine. I thought back to Tom Brady's arm strength early on and how he improved it with confidence. He literally threw sideways for 3 or 4 seasons while the Pats played more smash mouth football. Could be the same path for Tua, but that arm will never be a howitzer.

I don't think Brady even went vertical until Randy Moss came around.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27085
Location: Miami, FL
Brady's deep ball sucked for most of his career.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1325
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Rich wrote:
Brady's deep ball sucked for most of his career.


I would love for OUR QB to “suck" in the same way....


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 6838
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Young!? .. I was thinking more like Montana.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 6880
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Rich wrote:
And we all knew RIGHT AWAY with RGIII that he was the next big thing.

Until he wasn't...


Rumor has it he’s still lurking around the league...somewhere...with some team...in some city.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:04 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 12615
Location: MA
There is a video on Allbright's Twitter feed that is disturbing. Its from a group called QB Data Mine and they produced stats for all qualifying QBs.

Tua ranked 31st out of 31 qualifiers in intermediate level accuracy. 23 for 51 (yep, 45.1% accuracy) on all passes thrown between 11-20 yards. And the video backs up that it wasn't a result of merely pressure, drops or bad luck.

The same group produced a video showing 19 dropped interceptions for Patrick Mahomes.

So its not the end of the world, but it certainly doesn't lessen the concerns posted on here.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:15 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2145
FINesse wrote:
Young!? .. I was thinking more like Montana.


Lol...shoot for the stars. Montana had all the intangibles. He was a field general, like Staubach. We had the greatest of all time and the team squandered that opportunity.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 21465
Location: Raleigh, NC

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27085
Location: Miami, FL
jammer wrote:
There is a video on Allbright's Twitter feed that is disturbing. Its from a group called QB Data Mine and they produced stats for all qualifying QBs.

Tua ranked 31st out of 31 qualifiers in intermediate level accuracy. 23 for 51 (yep, 45.1% accuracy) on all passes thrown between 11-20 yards. And the video backs up that it wasn't a result of merely pressure, drops or bad luck.

The same group produced a video showing 19 dropped interceptions for Patrick Mahomes.

So its not the end of the world, but it certainly doesn't lessen the concerns posted on here.


Does the video analyze how much separation the receivers had on those throws?

Much easier to complete a short throw into tight coverage than an intermediate one.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 21465
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
There is a video on Allbright's Twitter feed that is disturbing. Its from a group called QB Data Mine and they produced stats for all qualifying QBs.

Tua ranked 31st out of 31 qualifiers in intermediate level accuracy. 23 for 51 (yep, 45.1% accuracy) on all passes thrown between 11-20 yards. And the video backs up that it wasn't a result of merely pressure, drops or bad luck.

The same group produced a video showing 19 dropped interceptions for Patrick Mahomes.

So its not the end of the world, but it certainly doesn't lessen the concerns posted on here.


Does the video analyze how much separation the receivers had on those throws?

Much easier to complete a short throw into tight coverage than an intermediate one.


Here it is.


_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:44 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 12615
Location: MA
As you can see, its kind of a mixed bag. Some tight coverage and some lousy misses. Definitely some bad reads.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27085
Location: Miami, FL
Very few of those were throws where the receiver had created some sort of separation. Most were air tight coverage.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am
Posts: 820
Rich wrote:
Very few of those were throws where the receiver had created some sort of separation. Most were air tight coverage.


My first thought was that those are a lot of bad passes, not even close to the WR. On second thought, had he thrown them to where the receiver was, they would have been intercepted! That is how tight the coverage was. Good job, Tua, of avoiding the interceptions.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:56 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 12615
Location: MA
Rich wrote:
Very few of those were throws where the receiver had created some sort of separation. Most were air tight coverage.


Some of those throws were downright ugly.

I'm giving him an overall pass because of what you mentioned, his rookie status and a lack of talent around him. We forget that just about everyone on this board had mega doubts about Tua after that last Buffalo game because we all saw the complete picture.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 21465
Location: Raleigh, NC
jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:
Very few of those were throws where the receiver had created some sort of separation. Most were air tight coverage.


Some of those throws were downright ugly.


I definitely agree with both of you. He had some ugly throws, but most of the time there was little room to fit a football and he tried to put it where only his receiver could catch it or he he threw it away.

Grier from yesterday's pre-draft pressor:

Adam Beasley (Miami Herald) wrote:
For his part, Tagovailoa has accepted the role as the team’s leader, organizing off-campus passing camps with current Dolphins receivers.

“He’s been around,” Grier said. “He’s working hard. He’s been working with the receivers. He’s a very competitive kid, as you know. Coming off the injury last year with no OTA’s, no minicamp and being just thrown in right away — that’s a hard transition. Especially coming off the rehab part of it that he was doing.”

Grier added: “I’ve seen a couple of videos [of Tagovailoa working out], I’m not on social media very much. He’s been working very hard and our guys have been around, they’ve popped in and out of here. He’s been great with the players and the receivers have been working. He’s going to take the next step. The kid has been a winner everywhere he’s been. I’m really excited for him, especially to have an offseason under his belt. I think that’ll be really important for him.”


Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 6838
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Would have stayed at 3 for Fields or Lance.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:37 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2145
FINesse wrote:
Would have stayed at 3 for Fields or Lance.


I think that might have been a good move as well. If nothing else and they wanted Pitts or Chase, the morons outsmarted themselves again. Extra picks mean crap if your staff can’t make good picks anyway. Grier seems dumber to me with each passing year.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 48 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r