All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:52 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think we will all be changing our mind who the Dolphins should draft in the next few weeks at pick 6 as each one has something the other doesn't. The thing we are sure about is that he will be a receiver.

Adam Beasley (Miami Herald) wrote:
“I’ll be honest with you. When we recruited DeVonta (Smith), he weighed 159 pounds and I wished he was bigger,” Saban said. “Now he weighs 170 pounds, and I think people at the next level are saying I wish he was bigger. But there are bigger people who [don’t] perform anyway near how he performs.

“There are people that are bigger than him that don’t have the competitive spirit or toughness that he has,” Saban continued. “Tell me how many receivers are tougher than he is, that block better, that play more physical than he does. Maybe there’s a time where you say this guy really overcomes the fact that he isn’t the biggest guy in the world and he plays this game really really well, and I don’t think anybody can argue that fact.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:33 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Big Dave wrote:
The thing we are sure about is that he will be a receiver.

Watch it be Pat Surtain. I get a little twitchy thinking they're going to throw everyone a curveball and go defense at 6.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Super slim athletes do very well in MMA but that’s because they are allowed to punch the opponent in the face. Smith’s frame won’t win him a single physical battle his entire NFL career unless they incorporate a few MMA rules allowing that stiff arm to morph into a slap or punch. It is worrisome.

He may put up great numbers for a few seasons but it is hard to see him holding up long term.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:47 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Super slim athletes do very well in MMA but that’s because they are allowed to punch the opponent in the face. Smith’s frame won’t win him a single physical battle his entire NFL career unless they incorporate a few MMA rules allowing that stiff arm to morph into a slap or punch. It is worrisome.

He may put up great numbers for a few seasons but it is hard to see him holding up long term.

On the money! Get Harris, the bowling ball who can catch and take it for chunk yards!. Look what the guy in Tenn did for our discarded no. 17.

Anyone remember our own “Bowling Ball” from years past? Name?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:54 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
On the money! Get Harris, the bowling ball who can catch and take it for chunk yards!. Look what the guy in Tenn did for our discarded no. 17.

Speaking of the past, Smith is one of the purest products of today’s game that I can think of. Can you imagine an NFL defense just allowing a 170 pound dude torching their defense in the 70s-‘00s?

Hell no...they would rip his head off of his shoulders with the helmet still inside or bruise him up so bad he would be running with a limp rendering him incapable of performing proper routes. They would literally disable him from the field. Smith may be one foul hit away from missing an entire year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:59 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:

Don Notthingham! I might still have his football card, somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
carreramia wrote:

Speaking of the past, Smith is one of the purest products of today’s game that I can think of. Can you imagine an NFL defense just allowing a 170 pound dude torching their defense in the 70s-‘00s?

Hell no...they would rip his head off of his shoulders with the helmet still inside or bruise him up so bad he would be running with a limp rendering him incapable of performing proper routes.

There was a guy back when you were crawling around, name Jack Tatum. Man, that guy would knock your head off, and he was a safety, but he just motored right through you...if you can catch a video of him hitting Earl Campbell at the goal line, and straightening him up! And ol. #34 had fire hydrants for thighs...The lesson in tackling is to aim for the other side of the ball carrier, you hit on one side but you want to come out on the other side, and blow him up. Mr. Smith would not even remember what hit him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:

ok....jersey number?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Serious question.

Would Smith even be draftable during Marino’s years?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Serious question.

Would Smith even be draftable during Marino’s years?

Smith was dominant in college, against the best. He will be fine in the NFL....he will make Tua’s job easier.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:28 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:

ok....jersey number?

I'm thinking it was #44. This was back in the day when fullbacks had numbers in the 40s.
Except Csonka didn't quite make it.

Then there was Norm Bulaich. I'm sure you chanted "Boo, Boo" back in the day. Was he #36?
I definitely remember Benny Malone was #32. He was a decent back after Csonka and Kick left for the WFL. Then Delvin Williams #24 came over from SF for just a year. He had a great year and then I don't know what happened to him. Leroy Harris was in there, too. I remember his 77 yard touchdown run on Monday Night Footbal, as a rookie, I think. David Overstreet, hot rookie out of Oklahoma?, killed before he every played an NFL game, if I remember correctly. Then Tony Nathan out of Alabama, solid back, best known for that hook and lateral with Duriel Harris in the epic playoff battle against Kellen Winslow and the Chargers. This pretty much brought us up to the Marino years ... did we even have any runningbacks while he played? Sammie Smith, I guess, who endured those "Sammie sucks" chants after his fumble. Bobby Humphreys came over from Denver, highly touted, but never did much for us. Then we entered the post Shula days, with Rob Konrad, Karim Abdul Jabbar, Lamar Smith, Ricky Williams, and a bunch of not so memorable guys, all the way up to Lamar Miller, Jay Ajayi, Kenyon Drake and Myles Gaskin. I think there was a Bernie guy in there somewhere, too. Special teams guy who stayed on longer than expected. How is that? Who did I miss?

Editing this later: How did I forget Ronnie Brown? Actually, he had one good game that I can remember. Not a good pick for the Fins, at #2 overall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:

ok....jersey number?

I'm thinking it was #44. This was back in the day when fullbacks had numbers in the 40s.
Except Csonka didn't quite make it.

Then there was Norm Bulaich. I'm sure you chanted "Boo, Boo" back in the day. Was he #36?
I definitely remember Benny Malone was #32. He was a decent back after Csonka and Kick left for the WFL. Then Delvin Williams #24 came over from SF for just a year. He had a great year and then I don't know what happened to him. Leroy Harris was in there, too. I remember his 77 yard touchdown run on Monday Night Footbal, as a rookie, I think. David Overstreet, hot rookie out of Oklahoma?, killed before he every played an NFL game, if I remember correctly. Then Tony Nathan out of Alabama, solid back, best known for that hook and lateral with Duriel Harris in the epic playoff battle against Kellen Winslow and the Chargers. This pretty much brought us up to the Marino years ... did we even have any runningbacks while he played? Sammie Smith, I guess, who endured those "Sammie sucks" chants after his fumble. Bobby Humphreys came over from Denver, highly touted, but never did much for us. Then we entered the post Shula days, with Rob Konrad, Karim Abdul Jabbar, Lamar Smith, Ricky Williams, and a bunch of not so memorable guys, all the way up to Lamar Miller, Jay Ajayi, Kenyon Drake and Myles Gaskin. I think there was a Bernie guy in there somewhere, too. Special teams guy who stayed on longer than expected. How is that? Who did I miss?

Editing this later: How did I forget Ronnie Brown? Actually, he had one good game that I can remember. Not a good pick for the Fins, at #2 overall.

Bernie Parmalee....

I think this team would have won a super bowl if that pot smoking Ricky Williams had not run off to puff puff....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:55 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Notts was 36, and the story with Ricky that I recall is that he called Wannstead in the off season to discuss his plans and Wannstedt never showed he cared for Ricky to stay. Ricky then told him to eff off.....or words to that effect. But yeah, had Ricky stayed the team then was in the cuff but was held back by Fiedler anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phinished wrote:
I think this team would have won a super bowl if that pot smoking Ricky Williams had not run off to puff puff....

Every now and then I'll dial up a YouTube video of Williams highlights because it is till jaw dropping to watch what he did.

Even in today's NFL he might be a 1st overall pick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:03 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Check out DeVonta Smith's route running on this pass in yeseterday's Alabama Pro Day. It's crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Check out DeVonta Smith's route running on this pass in yeseterday's Alabama Pro Day. It's crazy.

He is jaw dropping phenomenal. Instant separation....this guy will always get open. Please, please, please let him be a Dolphin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:18 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

yes, beautiful, artistic route, aggressive, planted hard inside and took off with no break in speed, but I was disappointed in seeing that the ball went 60 yards, from release point to pin point catch.....

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]