All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is more on Tannenbaum as Grier was his backup, but with drafts like this you'll be overpaying in free agency every year. Tannenbaum's 2016 draft is a little better with Xavien Howard and Jakeem Grant still on the team, but he made the best draft pick in our history with the Laremy Tunsil lucky turn of events. Also from the 2016 was Kenyan Drake whom I'd like back but not at what the Raiders paid him last week. I have all of our drafts back to 2010 listed on the right column of our Phinfever Draft Central page.

2017 Draft

2016 Draft

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:17 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Well the thing that worries me about stockpiling all these picks is who is doing the picking.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:45 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
This is more on Tannenbaum as Grier was his backup, but with drafts like this you'll be overpaying in free agency every year. Tannenbaum's 2016 draft is a little better with Xavien Howard and Jakeem Grant still on the team, but he made the best draft pick in our history with the Laremy Tunsil lucky turn of events. Also from the 2016 was Kenyan Drake whom I'd like back but not at what the Raiders paid him last week. I have all of our drafts back to 2010 listed on the right column of our Phinfever Draft Central page.

2017 Draft

2016 Draft

Yeah, at first glance the 2016 draft looks pretty decent. However, as I recall, they traded up to get Caroo, thinking he was the second coming of A.Bolden, and I don't ever remember him even catching a pass. As for Tunsil, I don't give them much credit for picking him. By the time he fell to #13, it was the obvious choice. I do give them credit for the Tunsil trade.

But the first four rounds of 2017 were terrible. Godcheaux and Vincent were solid fifth round picks.
I don't think we will know for another year about last year's draft, but Grier needs to do better to keep his job.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:21 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

As those on the board probably remember although I try not to rant about it too often imo it starts at the top and I am no fan of boss Ross. Ross picked Grier who has been a part of the Phins decline into a morass of mediocrity for the past 20 years, so ...

Of course if he gets the qb question right I may have to change my attitude and I hope he gets it right.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:22 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
Ross picked Grier who has been a part of the Phins decline into a morass of mediocrity for the past 20 years, so ...

Of course if he gets the qb question right I may have to change my attitude and I hope he gets it right.

I agree here. The Dolphins did A LOT of analysis on the QBs 2019-20, and through it all they had their eyes on Tua (1) and Herbert (2). Through all the film, interview, etc they liked Tua better. Grier has shown that he can move up and down in the draft, and that he knows how to get into the mind of his head coach and supply the players in the draft (and free agency). What has he learned from the all the mistakes in the past that he sat through with other GMs, and can he tell the difference between a regular player who will play out his rookie contract and bounce around the league or can he choose playmakers?

2020 - for Flores

2019 - for Flores

2018 - for Gase

Albert Brier (FMIA) wrote:
9) There’s a new breed of NFL general manager, and he’s not afraid to make big trades. This is the sixth draft run by Grier. He has already been involved in deals for eight first-round draft picks. Grier also dealt away a first-round safety, Minkah Fitzpatrick, making it, really, nine first-round-involved trades since 2016. He made two of them Friday. I love GMs who believe the draft is a vehicle to get better in all ways and don’t treat first-round picks like untouchables. When I first started covering football in the eighties, GMs were almost irrationally tied to their first-round picks. No more. The free-wheeling Jimmy Johnson started to change that in Dallas, figuring he could always find a draft choice if he really needed one. Now, from Seattle’s John Schneider in the Pacific Northwest, to Grier down in south Florida, from John Lynch and Les Snead out West to Howie Roseman back East, it’s a trader’s game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... eter-king/

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]