All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I don't share these feelings, but this is something the Dolphins have to decide. Everyone told the Cardinals not to move away from Rosen after a year, but they went with the more dynamic QB in the draft. There's a video if you follow the link. I don't think Justin Field will be there at pick 3.

foxsportsradio wrote:
Colin Cowherd: “Justin Field is bigger than Tua, stronger than Tua, faster than Tua, a bigger high-end arm than Tua, and a better athlete than Tua. A play has to be designed for Tua, and the play has to work. It’s very Derek Carr and it’s very Kirk Cousins. It’s not that way for Josh Allen, or Lamar Jackson, or Patrick Mahomes, or Russell Wilson, or Kyler Murray, or Aaron Rodgers. They can go off-script. Tua is more Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, or Andy Dalton. Pressure = trouble and ad-libbing gets trouble. When Ryan Fitzpatrick replaced Tua, at 38 he looked significantly more athletic than Tua. I know he was a rookie but Tua under pressure is BAD. Joe Burrow looked good by Week 2. 45 passer rating, 43% completion percentage. He is a player that you HAVE to have a play designed for. I would take a quarterback. I don’t wanna be trapped with Tua, and in Week 7 watching Josh Allen come into Miami and have so many more gifts, and so much more talent. If Tua had to ad-lib he’s very limited. Do you want to be stuck with a 5’11” guy who can’t work off-script?”

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/conte ... nother-qb/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:17 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Colin lost me at "Justin Field"...Heck no, he is crap on a stick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:53 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

ytnewton wrote:
Colin lost me at "Justin Field"...Heck no, he is crap on a stick.

He's not consistent, is he? After "Tanking for Tua" (and we know the front office planned this), I just don't see them going away from him that quickly without him having a full offseason, confidence in a fully healed hip, and starting behind 2 and 3 rookies along the OL.

Anyways, here's Justin Fields 2020 highlights. I know we can put a film of anyone and make them look like a superstar, but there is some real talent here.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:28 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

This is just wrong, on many levels.

If you want to say Tua is small and not terribly fast I'll agree. If you want to say Tua's arm is questionable at best right now then you won't get an argument from me. If you want to say Tua struggled reading defenses, as a rookie, I'll point to plenty of supportive evidence.

But a guy who cannot make an off script play? That is just a dumb assessment from a guy looking to bring attention to his radio show prior to the draft. Tua scrambled plenty and either made throws or ran for decent yards.

Mahomes and Rodgers are not off script QBs. They have elite vision and throw with anticipation. They can break off if needed, but it isn't their bread and butter.

As for guys like Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, talk to me when they blow a knee out and are forced to stay in the pocket. Let me know how their "anticipation" is at that point.

As Louis Riddick recently stated: it has been, still is and always will be about the guys who can read read a defense and are accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Did he just say Baltimore doesn’t have to design their offense around Lamar Jackson?

:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:11 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

He is right that Tua is not (and will never be) the same as Mahommes, Allen, or Jackson. But that shouldn't be his comparison group, because he isn't that kind of quarterback. He is the same type of quarterback as Cousins, Dalton, and Carr. And Drew Brees. There is nothing that Drew Brees can do athletically that Tua can't do, whether it is running or passing.

So, if one wants to argue that Tua is not going to become a franchise QB, then Tua needs to be critiqued on the basis of decision-making, anticipation, accuracy, leadership, and the it-factor which covers all the intangibles. Granted, Brees was quite an anomaly. However, Tua was rated very highly on those traits above coming out of Alabama. Brees took a few years to transition to the NFL, and it is premature to say Tua can't be a very good QB in the same mold.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:17 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
Anyways, here's Justin Fields 2020 highlights. I know we can put a film of anyone and make them look like a superstar, but there is some real talent here.

I know I have been adamant about not drafting a QB, but watching those highlights, being a Buckeyes fan ... gotta admit I would be just a little bit excited if Fields came to Miami.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Not for nothing, but Joe Burrow and Tua were nearly identical in QB Rating and the ESPN QBR.

And if "off script" QBs are what you need, why were Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins in the top 10 for QB Rating? Oh, ahead of Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, and Kyler Murray.

Want to do QBR? No problem. Drew Brees was better than that same group yet I could probably outsprint him. Deshaun Watson had a lower QBR than both Brees and Tom Brady (who looks like he's running through a blow up pool filled with pudding).

If Tua cannot process faster and develop a few more RPMs then Miami has a QB problem. We won't know that until we start hearing about Training Camp stories.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:36 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I live in Maryland and trust me most of my Ravens fan friends were groaning over how badly Lamar Jackson plays when he has to actually, you know, throw the ball on a regular basis. He's ridiculous as an athlete and physical specimen, but really not that good a quarterback.

Anyway, Cowherd is a bad joke. He's just looking for attention by throwing out bad takes over and over.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:51 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

No kidding’? Tua isn’t the answer??...well I had no idea....

They screwed up the Burrow sweepstakes. They passed on Herbert. FA decisions run amok. They’ve had more assistant coaches hiring and firings, re-assignments and “retirements” to last ten years. And still, somehow, there’s fan confidence out there that the Fins' view of Tua is accurate and will serve the franchise long term?

Well, all I can say is good luck with that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:

They screwed up the Burrow sweepstakes. They passed on Herbert. FA decisions run amok. They’ve had more assistant coaches hiring and firings, re-assignments and “retirements” to last ten years. And still, somehow, there’s fan confidence out there that the Fins' view of Tua is accurate and will serve the franchise long term?

The size argument is one thing. His description of Tua not being able to work off script proves he barely watched a down of Tua playing this past year.

If you want to say Tua isn't the guy based on what you saw that is fine. But Cowherd saying you need a guy who can go off script to succeed is statistically proven to be wrong...as was most of his verbal diarrhea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:27 pm 

carreramia wrote:

...so we're clear. We have an incompetent front office who has drafted and signed all the wrong players since coming into power. We have a bust at QB and a coach who hasn't earned any confidence. We should all just give in to the dark side and root for the Patriots, because we won 6 games with a 1 win roster and won 10 games the next year just by sheer luck.

Gotcha. Have a Snickers, dude. :speechless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:42 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I don't put much stock into anything Cowshit says.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:00 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

k-dash wrote:

...so we're clear. We have an incompetent front office who has drafted and signed all the wrong players since coming into power. We have a bust at QB and a coach who hasn't earned any confidence. We should all just give in to the dark side and root for the Patriots, because we won 6 games with a 1 win roster and won 10 games the next year just by sheer luck.

Gotcha. Have a Snickers, dude. :speechless

Pretty much, “dude”!

Jumping off the bridge isn’t in the cards, nor rooting for anyone else, but you take FitzMagic out of the equation last year doubt you have a 10 win season. And I’m sure you caught the game up in Buffalo although its outcome perhaps escapes you.

Let’s see what littl’ Tua can do on his own this year, he’ll have all the off-season excuses removed, ie., no offseason, no exhibition games, all those incredibly important x-o’s that somehow didn’t affect Burrow, Herbert nor Jalen Hurts I can add.

Oh, and I’m a Kit-Kat kinda guy.....which is a problem, because it’s impossible not to share it given they are made to easily break off a piece. Still, I stick with them and share it, much like I’ve stuck with the Fins and shared in the misery of nearly half a century of irrelevance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:14 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

You all may laugh me out of the forum with this, but I think Tua can be a Joe Montana type of quarterback given time. I'm not saying that he is going to be Joe Cool, but there is real potential there. Now, don't get me wrong ... I was yelling for Fitzpatrick at the end of a few of those games just like you were last year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:16 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
If you want to say Tua isn't the guy based on what you saw that is fine. But Cowherd saying you need a guy who can go off script to succeed is statistically proven to be wrong...as was most of his verbal diarrhea.

Yeah, it’s hard to stomach these overpaid talking heads. Cowher and Bayless! Reach for the remote will ya! But, the talk persists, ie., Tua. And It’s not just coming from these guys having to fill hours of mindless talk, but it’s out there pretty much in a unanimous chorus. And yes, there are those willing to explain why the concerns aren’t valid, but to those of us that have been around this franchise, up close and agonizingly personal, and seen the many starts and re-starts it’s just smells like more of the same all over again.

And I agree it is not necessary to break it down piece by piece, concluding in that off-script thing, what matters is the overall body of work and unfortunately one can’t escape the drastic difference between what ol’ Fitz could do with the same playbook and roster, at times right off the bench cold.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:34 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

A few HOF QBs that looked mediocre to poor their rookie seasons:

- Drew Brees
- Peyton Manning
- John Elway
- Steve Young
- Troy Aikmen

and don't forget Josh Allen.

Several of the NFL greats had limited to no playing time their rookie seasons......Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Montana, Patrick Mahomes.

This is the season to see what we have in Tua.

Last edited by shularino on Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
jammer wrote:

Yeah, it’s hard to stomach these overpaid talking heads. Cowher and Bayless! Reach for the remote will ya! But, the talk persists, ie., Tua. And It’s not just coming from these guys having to fill hours of mindless talk, but it’s out there pretty much in a unanimous chorus. And yes, there are those willing to explain why the concerns aren’t valid, but to those of us that have been around this franchise, up close and agonizingly personal, and seen the many starts and re-starts it’s just smells like more of the same all over again.

And I agree it is not necessary to break it down piece by piece, concluding in that off-script thing, what matters is the overall body of work and unfortunately one can’t escape the drastic difference between what ol’ Fitz could do with the same playbook and roster, at times right off the bench cold.

Don't know what you know but I have been around this team for a while and have been following them and a fan for about as long as I can remember. I don't agree with your smeller. The qb can only run the play called for him. I like Fitzmagic a lot but there was another side called Fitztragic that was seen as well. When he was good he could be very good and when he was bad he could be horrid. I don't disagree that Phins had 10 wins partly due to Fitzmagic but I also think that it can be a help especially for a veteran qb to come into a game where the d has prepared to face another type of qb.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

IMO Fields is Braxton Miller plus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:04 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
You all may laugh me out of the forum with this, but I think Tua can be a Joe Montana type of quarterback given time. I'm not saying that he is going to be Joe Cool, but there is real potential there. Now, don't get me wrong ... I was yelling for Fitzpatrick at the end of a few of those games just like you were last year.

I with you. Tua will be fine. He is not Mahomes type, but neither is Tom Brady and he has done alright. What I like most about Tua. Accuracy. Brees did not have the strongest arm and he has done alright.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:02 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I loved Tua pre-injury. The Tua we saw last year is not that guy and I am worried he never will be that guy again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:16 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

And we might have just gifted NE Jimmy G.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:28 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
And we might have just gifted NE Jimmy G.

Good heavens to Murgatroyd what shall we do? ; )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:32 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
I with you. Tua will be fine. He is not Mahomes type, but neither is Tom Brady and he has done alright. What I like most about Tua. Accuracy. Brees did not have the strongest arm and he has done alright.

I'm becoming less worried about the processing issue with Tua. Guys like Herbert can get away with more because of the cannon arm, but defensive coordinators eventually catch up to them. Someone like Tua can't mask that early on.

But the arm needs to get a little stronger. I know I sound like a broken record, but when you have those strength limitations you're either Drew Brees or Colt McCoy. Not a heck of a lot of in between.

I am glad Miami is giving him another shot. The more I study this current crop of QB prospects the more I will pass except for Lawrence. If Jacksonville was open for business I would have traded the farm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Lawrence is the only QB better than Tua in this draft. Thats a compliment to Trevor not Tua

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]