All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

According to 'Mando, he tried his best to get the Dolphins to draft Herbert last year and Sewell this year. I would say his use of Herbert in that offense there is the reason why the Dolphins did not draft Herbert over Tua. And, the Dolphins already invested in OL in last year's draft. They weren't going to take a tackle at pick 6. It sounds like we are going to love Holland and his attitude.

Armando Salguero (Miami Herald) wrote:
“That’s a phenomenal pick,” Cristobal said. “That’s a first-round talent and a first-round player. At the end of the day he played only two years of college ball, but you’ve got yourselves an absolute monster. You really did.”

Why? “He is that really rare, large human being that can play corner, that can play nickel, can play safety,” Cristobal said. “You would get a lot out of watching his high school tape and high school highlights because when we were recruiting him — and him and Penei were in the same year — we were like, ‘All right we came here, the place is 4-8 and we got to turn this thing around and these two are game changers.’

“This guy will lock down anybody as a corner, as a nickel, as a safety. He’s going to be elite as a returner. And his personality is off the charts ... He played with guts, he played with passion, he’s a tremendous tackler — I’m talking about launching his body at people."

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:01 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

All these things I've been reading about Holland make him sound like the second coming of Eric Reed. However, he wasn't even the top-rated safety in this draft, and I didn't see (prior to the draft) anyone that had a first-round grade on him. So ... my question: what is it about him that kept him from being a first-round pick? What are his weaknesses, relative to the other top defensive backs.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
So ... my question: what is it about him that kept him from being a first-round pick?.

You have to ask that question? Hasn’t the NFL draft proven to a total crap shoot? Players taken too soon, players taken too late, stars coming out of the middle rounds, and flops out of the top? Point is, it’s all wild a** guesses by people that screw up ever year in their jobs as evaluators. The so called ratings by self titled eminences sitting up on those dais, their sources mostly coaches, friends and family of the players, cab drivers, and Lupe who makes the beds in their rooms, (one tuck, one no tuck), some film and the combines. And at the end they have about as much clue as you and me. Kiper, Shefter, all those others.....they make a name by being mostly wrong, the only career where that works.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:14 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
So ... my question: what is it about him that kept him from being a first-round pick?.

You have to ask that question? Hasn’t the NFL draft proven to a total crap shoot? Players taken too soon, players taken too late, stars coming out of the middle rounds, and flops out of the top? Point is, it’s all wild a** guesses by people that screw up ever year in their jobs as evaluators. The so called ratings by self titled eminences sitting up on those dais, their sources mostly coaches, friends and family of the players, cab drivers, and Lupe who makes the beds in their rooms, (one tuck, one no tuck), some film and the combines. And at the end they have about as much clue as you and me. Kiper, Shefter, all those others.....they make a name by being mostly wrong, the only career where that works.

I think some of the problem is that there are many college programs out there and some play cream puff schedules against inferior talent, and some teams are loaded with talent such as Alabama and their players get a lot of help from those around them. It's hard to figure out how they'll do against NFL talent.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:46 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:

You seem to be answering a different question than the one I asked. I'm not claiming anyone was right or wrong in their evaluation. As you note so eloquently, evaluators are going to be wrong and much of it is a crapshoot. I'm asking, "Given all the glowing things we read, why he wasn't viewed higher by all of those evaluators?" Is it post-draft hyperbole? Usually, there are character issues, injury issues, production-doesn't-match-athleticism issues, poor combine issues, etc. There is always something that keeps a player from being a perfect prospect. (With Waddle, it is his size and injury history.) What is it with Holland?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:49 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
What is it with Holland?

Grier was trying to trade up to the 1st round and would have reached (obviously) for this kid at 1 and I guess that would have pleased you.....but he didn’t thankfully (he learned I hope from the Iggy pick last year), so you should be glad that your question will never be answered.

But the question I keep asking myself, and you can try and help, is why Grier chose Tua over Herbert. In it lies the answer to ALL of our questions now and into the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
Kiper, Shefter, all those others.....they make a name by being mostly wrong, the only career where that works.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:05 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
What is it with Holland?

Grier was trying to trade up to the 1st round and would have reached (obviously) for this kid at 1 and I guess that would have pleased you.....but he didn’t thankfully (he learned I hope from the Iggy pick last year), so you should be glad that your question will never be answered.

But the question I keep asking myself, and you can try and help, is why Grier chose Tua over Herbert. In it lies the answer to ALL of our questions now and into the foreseeable future.

When did your reading comprehension skills take such a turn for the worse? All that negativity has caught up with you to the point that you turn questions that don't have anything to do with Dolphin management or players who have played for them into some tirade about their ineptness!

The Dolphins better win the Super Bowl this year, or you will become a bitter and grumpy old man. Wait, did I say that last year, too? That explains things, then!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
When did your reading comprehension skills take such a turn for the worse? All that negativity has caught up with you to the point that you turn questions that don't have anything to do with Dolphin management or players who have played for them into some tirade about their ineptness!

The Dolphins better win the Super Bowl this year, or you will become a bitter and grumpy old man. Wait, did I say that last year, too? That explains things, then!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:36 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
All that negativity has caught up with you to the point that you turn questions that don't have anything to do with Dolphin management or players who have played for them into some tirade about their ineptness!

You just don’t get it! Ineptness R’ Us! That’s the underlying premise of all your postings, questions, explanations and forecasting. I’m just trying to simplify it for you so you don’t go on another 4 month rant about nothing. Plant a garden. Grow some fruit. Volunteer at the local Y.

You’ll thank me!

And regarding your baffling, hilarious and mindless suggestion of a Super Bowl, topics regarding the Fins will be plentiful for years to come. The question is are yours with that interminable, fictional glass half full view or realistic at the bottom half of the glass.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]