We are now a little over a month from the NFL Draft and for the most part the free agency period has run it course. I believe Miami has done a solid job of re-signing key personnel in Vernon Carey, Channing Crowder & Yeremiah Bell. Before free agency even kicked off Miami had upgraded at the FS position with the addition of Gibril Wilson, formerly of the Oakland Raiders.
Also, before free agency started Miami added OLB Cameron Wake, the Defensive Player of the Year from the Canadian Football League along with OLB Tearrius George off waivers from New Orleans. Once free agency did begin Miami signed CB Eric Green, OG Joe Berger & C Jake Grove.
With free agency pretty much over, needs will now be addressed in the draft.
1) Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois, 5'11 1/8, 203 lbs, 4.49 40. Supremly talented, Davis has the size and speed you want in a CB. He has the hip turn and quick feet you like and great recovery speed. He also is very physical tackler in the run game and will deliver a blow. The biggest issue with Vontae is he sometimes believes to much in himself and will gamble and there have been issues with Vontae and the coaching staff at Illinois as well and his motor runs hot and cold.
2) Jarron Gilbert, DT, San Jose State, 6'5, 288 lbs, 4.87 40. For his size, this is an explosive and strong kid with extremely long arms at 36 3/4, he was still able to do 28 reps at 225 lbs at the combine. 42 TFL and 21.5 sacks during his career at San Jose with 9.5 sacks coming this past football season. He would be a nice replacement for Vonnie and could help create pass rush from the interior DL. Concerns with Jarron is from a matuity standpoint.
2) Paul Krueger, OLB, Utah, 6'4, 263 lbs, 4.86 40. Relentless with a non stop motor, Krueger had 16.5 TFL and 7.5 sacks for the Utes this past season and was a major factor in the Sugar Bowl win over Alabama. I am projecting him as a OLB as he has the movement skills and rush ability to be an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. He has served his mission and will come in as a 23 year old rookie, so he will be a little bit overaged.
3) Sherrod Martin, CB, Troy, 6'1, 198 lbs, 4.49 40. Terrific athlete and like Vontae he has good hips and quick feet. Physical and is an excellent tackler and has the size that the trifecta likes in there DB's and also has solid ball skills. The concerns on Sherrod has been from a health standpoint, as he has had surgery on both shoulders, but Miami coaches were at his Pro Day recently and I believe Miami will take 2 CB's, as Will Allen will be a free agent next year.
4) Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly, 6'6, 229 lbs, 4.57 40. 206 catches for 4, 203 yards and 50 TD. Ramses dominated at his level, which is what you want to see from a kid of his talent level, and he more than held his own at the Senior Bowl. Strong, physical with great ball skills and would be an instant red zone threat for Miami. He also is a good downfield blocker. Concerns are his route running and his hands are considered average. That being said, this has been a kid that has been highly productive and has great size and could cause major mismatches and the Dolphins spent time with him at the Senior Bowl.
5) Terrence Taylor, DT/NG, Michigan, 6'0, 311 lbs, 5.27 40. Strong, powerful and stout at the point of attack, Taylor is being looked at as an ideal NT prospect in a 3-4 scheme. Did 37 reps at 225 lbs at the combine and earned 2nd team Big Ten honors as a junior. Concerns are he struggled mightly his senior year and then had a bad week at the East/West Shrine Bowl. Miami needs to bring in a kid that can be developed at the NT position and Taylor will be among a group of guys considered and has the makeup and build to be a NG in a 3-4 scheme.
7) Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State, 6'7, 328 lbs, 5.25 40. This is a kid that has talent to go higher in the draft and Miami is looking to add depth and talent on the OL. I have Boone in at this spot because of a major mistake in judgement by Boone a few weeks before the combine. On Feb 1, Boone was charged with public intoxication while in California getting ready for the combine and had to be tasered multiple times. His blood alchol level was 3 times the allowed limit. Point blank, teams will look at him carefully before pulling the trigger on him in the draft.
7) Demetrius Byrd, WR, LSU, 6'0, 199 lbs, 4.42 40. Smooth athlete with nice size and speed and has nice quickness and a burst. Nice, soft hands and will work the middle of the field and can escape the jam. He is not considered a great route runner and will drop his share of catchable passes, plus he is considered to be a little soft with a little bit of an attitude. He could go a little higher, but then again he could be here and he would be a nice piece to add to the WR corps.
7) Antonio Appleby, ILB, Virginia, 6'4, 250 lbs, 4.72 40. Has the size that the trifecta likes and he is an Al Groh player.
Jasper Brinkley, the ILB from South Carolina is a kid I think will get a strong look in the 4th round along with Chris Baker, the DT.NG from Hampton. Baker is a kid that was at Penn State and was dismissed from the team for getting into multiple fights, so his character will be looked into. Lawrence Sidbury is also a kid to keep an eye on along with obviously Larry English and Clay Matthews Jr. at the OLB position. WR's that will get a strong look are Percy Harvin, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Hakim Nicks, Kenny Britt and Brian Robiskie.
Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar
I really can't get along without the browser toolbar. It has all the important links on it. I'm not selfish, I even have all the other Dolphins fan sites on it. There are a lot of draft links, rss feeds, and a cool email program that lets you know when you have mail. And NO spam or spyware. It works for Firefox and Internet Explorer. So, enjoy!
Support Phinfever by buying what you need from our advertisers. They pretty much pay the bills for us. Thanks!
Get the latest Miami Dolphins NFL lines at BetUS - America's online sports betting site for football betting and NFL odds and lines.
Looking for things to do in Miami FL? Check CTC for Miami comedy shows and the Miami football schedule. Also buy NFL tickets and college sports tickets, including Miami Dolphins football tickets and cheap Hurricanes football tickets.