1. Because all the experts say they won’t finish with more than 8 wins. Every year 1 or 2 teams rise to respectability in the NFL. Why can’t it be Miami? When the so-called experts pick us to finish 2nd, or even first, then I worry. That last time we were ranked this low prior to the season was coming off the 2007 season going into 2008.
2. Defense. Yes it has looked marginal in the preseason; however, in the 3rd game tune up it was pretty good. The first team defense kept the first team Atlanta Offense (a good, balanced offense with a solid OL) out of the endzone. Miami is younger on defense and it should get better as the year goes on.
3. Coaching staff – System trumps talent. You see this all around the NFL. You see talented teams get beat by systems every season. There’s no finer example than the Patriots and 49ers. A good coach can get more out of his marginal players than an average coach can get out of his good ones. Do I need to quote Bum Phillips here?
4. Easy schedule, Patriots on the decline. Jets and Bills are mediocre as well and have issues of their own. A 3-3 division record isn’t out of the question. Miami’s toughest game could be on opening weekend. I’m sure we’ll be rendering all kinds of bad judgements if they get rolled by the Texans. The Texans are now amongst the AFC’s Elite. They did well last year with a backup QB.
5. Nameless Offense – Yeap, in 1972 we invented the no-name defense. This year, it will be the nameless offense. Rookie QB, no problem. OL issues….who cares. Bad WR corps....did anyone see Ogletree from Dallas have a coming out party tonight? This offense just has to take care of the football and pound the rock to keep games close. My feeling is they can do those things even with their shortcomings. Ryan Tannehill is a rookie, but so far, he’s not made those horrible decisions to unload the ball into traffic. He’s had 1 tipped ball for a pick in the preseason. He needs to keep progressing while playing caretaker.
6. God loves an underdog. Face it, by everyone’s logical paper calculations this team should finish in the bottom 3rd of the league. Everything, or most everything, has to go right for a winning season this year.
In conclusion, either that gut feeling I have is some bad Mexican Food, or its time to fire up the 10-6 bus again. Who is with me? Any other completely insane, homeristic, Dolphin loving masochists out there? BTW…even with that rosy prediction for the season…don’t expect Miami to waltz into Houston and beat a team they’ve never beat on opening weekend in their house. Don’t even judge the team by that game. It could get ugly very fast. Just keep the seatbelt fastened, enjoy the ride and watch the young rookie QB make us forget the last decade of futility at that position.
Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar