All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I have to agree with Omar that the talent isn't good enough. We shouldn't be surprised at this. And if we lose any starters we will be in some serious trouble. Although he is partially to blame I don't totally blame Grier on this, because his philosophy is to add players to fit the style of his head coach. Is that really a good approach? This year we saw him look for more physical athletes in the draft rather than finesse/athletic players. In free agency we saw the Grier reboot the process and next year we should see him start to use free agency a little smarter.

Omar Kelly (Sun Sentinel) wrote:
* A lot of the team’s early draft picks — players like DeVante Parker, Charles Harris, Raekwon McMillan and Mike Gesicki — haven’t met expectations. And plenty of the team’s personnel doesn’t fit this new defense, which apparently has specific roles carved out for everyone but Jerome Baker, Xavien Howard and Bobby McCain.

* Miami’s offensive line is a mess. And we’re talking about a starting unit that features two rookie guards. The backups aren’t even worth mentioning since they’ve been so bad.

* The Dolphins defensive line continues to give up yards versus the run, which is nothing new for this franchise. But Christian Wilkins’ selection in the first round of this year’s draft hasn’t fixed that. And Miami lacks a proven pass rusher to make opposing quarterbacks uncomfortable.

* Just like last season, the Dolphins are still searching for a boundary cornerback to play opposite Xavien Howard. Chris Lammons was the fourth cornerback to tryout with the starters Wednesday, and still no answer is in sight.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/mia ... story.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:16 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Big Dave wrote:
I have to agree with Omar that the talent isn't good enough. We shouldn't be surprised at this.

What is a surprise is why is this even a story.....the writers have to fill their pages with something, I get it, but Kelly's take isn't news worthy....some of us, those with our two feet firmly planted, have known this all off-season once the house cleaning began...and it won't end here, nor in 2020. If somehow Grier can turn around the very skeptical draft record baggage he carries (I say skeptical because the presence of TennenBum in past years has to be factored in), it may even take us into 2021. If he can't, then kiss this baby goodbye and look for another decade of mediocrity.

The only hope now, in fact the only thing, to me, worth watching over the next couple of seasons is did we find our next QB. If it isn't Rosen then they should be able to be ground zero for adding another in 2020, and equally likely again in 2021, the year the kid from Clemson, actually the best one of them all, comes available.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:39 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

This is what this season is all about.....

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dav ... story.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:49 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'm willing to bet Flores and Grier will get 4 or 5 years to establish something (so long as they are on the same page).

They will be flush with cash next year and will have the opportunity to draft the QB they want.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]