All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:12 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

At the bucs joint practice. Rosen played good with 1st teamers as balledge balled!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Harris went ghost the second he showed up to his very 1st camp.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:33 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

And mike evans owned howard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:19 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I enjoy college football, but I don't watch enough of it to qualify as any kind of an expert scout in terms of personal observation. I know the NFL players much better. However, I love the draft, so I read a LOT about players in the build-up to the draft, from a variety of sources. But of course this is not my job and I probably spend less than 0.1% of the time that the Dolphin's scouting department does. So, tell me ....

how come I am a better evaluator of their draft picks than they are? I really don't have any doubt that I could draft as well as they do, at least in the first three rounds, simply based on what I learn from reading scouting reports. I was sure that Jason Allen, Dion Jordan, R MacMillan, and Charles Harris were going to be busts. I knew Landry would be a stud. I was thrilled with the M.Fitzpatrick and L.Tunsil picks, but they were no-brainers, since they fell so far to us the way the draft played out. I was happy about the Gesicki pick, and that looks like it was wrong, so I'm not saying I'm perfect. But our roster is very thin on talent, because of our player personnel evaluation.

To me, drafting defensive players is pretty simple. Ignore the combine and pick guys with strong motors who were productive in college. Defense is all about instincts and quick reactions to those instincts. I don't care if a DE can broadjump 11 feet and run a 4.5 forty if (1) the play is over before he diagnoses what happened and (2) he can't fend off a block.

Last edited by prof123 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:43 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You have a lot of competing minds on who the top player should be, and they tend to over complicate the scouting process.

I think the biggest flaw in a GM’s idea behind a selection at the top is need. If your team is that bad, there is always a BPA available who can make the team better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:49 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

prof123 wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I enjoy college football, but I don't watch enough of it to qualify as any kind of an expert scout in terms of personal observation. I know the NFL players much better. However, I love the draft, so I read a LOT about players in the build-up to the draft, from a variety of sources. But of course this is not my job and I probably spend less than 0.1% of the time that the Dolphin's scouting department does. So, tell me ....

how come I am a better evaluator of their draft picks than they are? I really don't have any doubt that I could draft as well as they do, at least in the first three rounds, simply based on what I learn from reading scouting reports. I was sure that Jason Allen, Dion Jordan, R MacMillan, and Charles Harris were going to be busts. I knew Landry would be a stud. I was thrilled with the M.Fitzpatrick and L.Tunsil picks, but they were no-brainers, since they fell so far to us the way the draft played out. I was happy about the Gesicki pick, and that looks like it was wrong, so I'm not saying I'm perfect. But our roster is very thin on talent, because of our player personnel evaluation.

To me, drafting defensive players is pretty simple. Ignore the combine and pick guys with strong motors who were productive in college. Defense is all about instincts and quick reactions to those instincts. I don't care if a DE can broadjump 11 feet and run a 4.5 forty if the play is over before he diagnoses what happens and can't fend off a block.

Maybe you are a natural at it. I would think that one response from the scouts in the NFL might be to say come on over and jump in the water is fine. : ) Imo the Phins could use all the help they can get.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]