All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:36 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

According to Benjamin Albright on twitter, Miami is one of the teams expressing interest in trading for Jadaveon Clowney.

If this actually happens, it checks a box of severe need for the team, and puts to final rest any "tanking" theories.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:51 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This guy was one of the top 3 highly praised athletes coming out of the draft since I have been watching football.

I don’t recall hearing much since then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 pm 

He's a good pass rusher. Can he stay healthy? Does he care? We'll see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:

I honestly don’t know much about him outside of his days at SC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Cant hurt to give him a shot, hope the price isnt too steep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

IF Clowney is available in a trade, I say "no". Resist the urge to trade for him. You only make a big trade like this if he is the missing piece to get to the Super Bowl. We have way too many holes. I hope we've learned from our past lessons on overpaying to be mediocre.

Armando Salguero (Miami Herald) wrote:
Some of you on social media interrupted my awesome meal at Bern’s Steakhouse Monday evening to ask about the unsubstantiated rumor that the Dolphins are interested in Houston Texans defensive end Jadeveon Clowney in a trade.

And I reached out to a team source who did not dismiss potential interest. Because why wouldn’t most NFL teams be interested in a player of Clowney’s caliber. But the same source was not aware Clowney is currently being shopped.

Remember that when Los Angeles Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald’s name was floating around as possible trade-bait last offseason, I reported the Dolphins would have been interested in the player if Donald was actually available. Except he was never actually available. So this might be similar in that regard.

Clowney is not the same caliber of player as Donald but he’s obviously a pass-rusher upgrade for the Dolphins.

But here’s the problem, as outlined to me by a league source: Say the Dolphins are interested in Clowney. They’re giving up a first-round and possibly other picks to get him and then sign him to a huge deal?

Is he the final piece of the puzzle on defense for a Miami team making a run at a championship with a great franchise quarterback?

Oh, wait. No.

The Dolphins actually have no franchise quarterback.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

k-dash wrote:

Bingo. He's had 9 sacks each of the last two seasons and struggled with injuries prior to that. He's a very good player and only 26 years old. But can he stay healthy is the question.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Keep in mind that Miami is going to have $100 million to spend and that aren't a lot of guys on the roster who need big contracts to re-sign. They are borderline desperate for a pass rush upgrade because Charles Harris isn't living up to expectations.

The Texans just gave up a 4th rounder (that could become a 3rd) for Duke Johnson. Miami has 12 picks in the next draft already. Offer a 4th and a player the Texans may need.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:00 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

He had a real nice play while in college.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:23 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

3x Probowler
First team all pro ('16)

Pending the demand from Houston, I'd do it in a heart beat. Still only 26 (won't be 27 until February), so there's some prime years left...this could be the glove that Flores wants to wear.

With the drama surrounding certain players that carry high cap numbers, maybe they can be dangled with a pick to convince Houston to pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Project86JLL13 wrote:
Pending the demand from Houston, I'd do it in a heart beat. Still only 26 (won't be 27 until February), so there's some prime years left...this could be the glove that Flores wants to wear.

With the drama surrounding certain players that carry high cap numbers, maybe they can be dangled with a pick to convince Houston to pull the trigger.

This would almost literally to a level of tailor made similarity, be Suh 2.0. Only difference is he would come via trade.

Stills’ cap isn’t that bad. Hopefully Flores utilizes him more than Gase. He’s a gamechanger.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:41 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Flores I think legit has his head on right and an understanding of how to use the talent around him. Gase belongs with the Jets, he is a walking buttfumble

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:58 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Some thoughts on why the Dolphins should not try to trade for Clowney this week: too expensive and he is holding out rather than sign his franchise tag.

Safid Deen (Sun Sentinel) wrote:
(The Dolphins) should avoid surrendering a large haul for a player like Clowney, who has held out while hoping to negotiate a new deal instead of signing his $15.9 million franchise tag with the Texans for this season.

Clowney, who has 29 sacks in five seasons, may be a standout defensive end/outside linebacker who could thrive as a tailor-made fit in Flores’ new defense. But the Dolphins would be remiss to trade away a valuable first- or second-round pick in the 2020 or 2021 drafts, in addition to at least one later-round pick, to acquire Clowney.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/mia ... story.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:39 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I'd take Clowney for a lower pick and a higher contract, but he has made a living off the one play in college. Other than that he is just a highly touted player who produces avg. results, while always having the ability to be a special player.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:09 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Jj watt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:40 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Talks are starting up again with a visit to the facility and a meeting with the head coach among others. I think it is a mistake to give a high draft pick (sounds like at least a 2nd, and they were asking for a first) and a large contract.

If he was the one missing piece then maybe but not so for the Phins this year and this guy has not been lights out anyway imo.

This reminds me of bad deals made in the past by the Phins and the person who was there part of that time is Grier. Overpaying for another teams player has not worked out for the Phins but sounds like here we go again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:47 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami can't gamble away too many picks in the event they want to deal up for a QB next year.

As it stands they are projected to have a top 10 2nd rounder and a late 2nd rounder. They'll also have a top 10 3rd and a 3rd round comp pick. They should have the equivalent of two early 4th rounders.

I'd offer the 3rd rounder knowing that I have ammo to deal back into Round 3 if necessary next year.

Or, Houston is said to have wanted an OL or WR. Trade Stills and one of the 4th Rounders.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:08 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I'd rather make a trade to someone for OL help...don't we need to help our QB's out a little?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:02 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

vafinfan wrote:
I'd rather make a trade to someone for OL help...don't we need to help our QB's out a little?

I don't think anyone is going to trade a quality OL for the price you'd want to pay.

There will be a lot of potential upgrades (and upgrading isn't hard with this unit) cut this weekend.

Miami has a vision for Clowney and I think I'm starting to see it. I'm completely on board with the deal, even if they overpay, because this defense could be a force by next year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:16 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
I don't think anyone is going to trade a quality OL for the price you'd want to pay.

There will be a lot of potential upgrades (and upgrading isn't hard with this unit) cut this weekend.

Fair enough Jammer. I know our Dline has no proven rushers, but I'm really worried about the Oline. Like you said, there should be some upgrades available soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:23 pm 

Apparently Houston wants Tunsil.
I dont see any logic to this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

This could all be for a one year rental. High salary high draft pick and you can not sign him to a new deal until after the season is over because of the franchise tag.

So if he wants to leave at the end of the year so long Miami.

This sounds like a potential train wreck.

I guess the Phin s could franchise him too but does not sound like a good plan to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:08 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

not a fan of it. especially if you have to give up the 2021 pick like mentioned in latest armando article... we need that pick for the Sunshine guy from Clemson. Don’t want a Qb like Tua ... always plays bad in big games - that’s a no go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:32 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

vafinfan wrote:
Quote:

Fair enough Jammer. I know our Dline has no proven rushers, but I'm really worried about the Oline. Like you said, there should be some upgrades available soon.

Bud I'm with ya on the OL. I wish there was a guard who wanted to get paid but his team would rather get a pick for him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:08 pm 

He wants to go to a contendor. Prefers Seattle or Philly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:22 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mitch, that shows you how much heart he has. It's not about the money, we need to get this done asap!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

One offer I saw from a Twitter blogger was Clowney for Drake, Stills and McMillan.

I kind of like this for a few reasons. First, it fits several needs for the Texans so it might not be unrealistic. Second, no one is ponying up a quality draft pick for a guy who might be gone in two years. Why would Miami even entertain that unless they do a 6th or 7th rounder. Finally, its not that crazy of an offer and significantly helps both teams.

Stills would really help Deshaun Watson in the deep game and take pressure off of Hopkins. Drake can share duties with Duke Johnson without having to be a workhorse. We've all seen how explosive he is but also how injury prone he is. Miami isn't signing him to a long term deal anyway. McMillan could fit well in the classic 3-4 scheme and would be under Houston's control for a few more years.

Miami gets a guy who really excels at setting the edge and could make that front 7 be top 15 this year. The DTs are solid, Harris is waking up and Baker is a force.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:13 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Houston Texans owner Robert McNair is a major contributor to the Republican party, so Stills probably won't be going there in a trade.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
One offer I saw from a Twitter blogger was Clowney for Drake, Stills and McMillan.

I kind of like this for a few reasons. First, it fits several needs for the Texans so it might not be unrealistic. Second, no one is ponying up a quality draft pick for a guy who might be gone in two years. Why would Miami even entertain that unless they do a 6th or 7th rounder. Finally, its not that crazy of an offer and significantly helps both teams.

Stills would really help Deshaun Watson in the deep game and take pressure off of Hopkins. Drake can share duties with Duke Johnson without having to be a workhorse. We've all seen how explosive he is but also how injury prone he is. Miami isn't signing him to a long term deal anyway. McMillan could fit well in the classic 3-4 scheme and would be under Houston's control for a few more years.

Miami gets a guy who really excels at setting the edge and could make that front 7 be top 15 this year. The DTs are solid, Harris is waking up and Baker is a force.

Is someone able to explain to me why the interest in Clowney? He has lived off that one bowl game play for 6 Yr. Why does Miami want to play a player superior talent money for avg results?

If a guy that is supposed to be so talented cannot put up dominate status with Watts on the other side, then why would any team expect him to put up anything being the man? This guy should be avg. 18 sacks a yr with Watts next to him.

Plus the fact they are having to sweet talk him into coming to Miami. To give up any draft capital for him is frankly a bad move.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:16 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
Is someone able to explain to me why the interest in Clowney? He has lived off that one bowl game play for 6 Yr. Why does Miami want to play a player superior talent money for avg results?

If a guy that is supposed to be so talented cannot put up dominate status with Watts on the other side, then why would any team expect him to put up anything being the man? This guy should be avg. 18 sacks a yr with Watts next to him.

Plus the fact they are having to sweet talk him into coming to Miami. To give up any draft capital for him is frankly a bad move.

Watched a lot of video cuts of Clowney against the run and it was really impressive. I don't think Miami sees him as a stat racking pass rusher. His ability to line up at multiple spots in different situations appears to be what intrigues them.

Doesn't sound like they are giving up any draft capital, just potential players they would trade or cut anyway. Seattle is also making a push for him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:22 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:

Watched a lot of video cuts of Clowney against the run and it was really impressive. I don't think Miami sees him as a stat racking pass rusher. His ability to line up at multiple spots in different situations appears to be what intrigues them.

Doesn't sound like they are giving up any draft capital, just potential players they would trade or cut anyway. Seattle is also making a push for him.
Stopping the run is great, but they would be paying him to get to the Qb. Correct?

Not real sure why Sea. would be interested. They have walked away from more talented players in the interest of cap space..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I think in the last two years he is getting like 9 sacks a year that is not to bad for a LB. I don't know exactly how he is used where he is at now, he is appealing his ruling of the franchise tag as a LB and trying to get it changed to DE I think, so he can get more money.

Maybe his pressure number is good too I did not take the time to look it up. I guess I am trying to say he seems pretty good at his listed position but maybe the real story is different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:02 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He is holding out over a contract dispute in Houston now....why bring that kind of drama to our team on the rebuild?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:44 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:
He is holding out over a contract dispute in Houston now....why bring that kind of drama to our team on the rebuild?

Factually he is not a hold out. He is not under contract with the team. He is waiting for the Texans to make an offer he deems worthy of his bloated ability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:43 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I thought he signed his franchise tag the other day?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

No he is still holding out so he can try and control what team he wants to go to and Miami was not one of them. They say he may have softened his stance after the visit with the Phins that Clowney had but I never saw anyone say he was 100% on board.

Of course it would not make sense to pursue this unless Miami had some assurance that he would play for them this season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'm seeing on Twitter that Miami might be able to get a haul if they deal Tunsil (players and picks). I don't agree with trading an elite, franchise tackle, but just an interesting story at the very least.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:07 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Im also seeing a player revolt if tunsil is traded.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I'm seeing on Twitter that Miami might be able to get a haul if they deal Tunsil (players and picks). I don't agree with trading an elite, franchise tackle, but just an interesting story at the very least.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next