Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: OT: RIP Forrest Gregg
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:18 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A great one as a player and was a heck of a head coach. RIP.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:21 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

hate to bore people here with my nostalgic look at the passing of Gregg, but here goes.....this sad news brings me back to my childhood and falling over NFL football....when I saw the Packers live in Miami in early 60s, playing what was then called the Playoff Bowl, which pitted the two second place teams in the respective NFL conferences (this was years before the merger with the AFL). This game was nothing more than an exhibition game meant to give the league and players extra income but for a 14 year old brought up on baseball it was an awakening. At the time I along with friends worked the OB stands during UM games selling soft drinks, hot dogs. It was the only game in town at the time, years before the Dolphins were born. Seeing the pros play, that was a new level. Games were a sellout, good money for us kids. The Packers, in their glorious green and gold, played the St. Louis Cardinals. The game, the color, the pageantry, bowled me over and by the 3rd quarter I stopped selling and made my way down close to the Packers bench. They became my team. Forrest Gregg, Jerry Kramer, the whole HOF list of those 60s players on the Packers became my argument to defend against friends rooting for the then Unitas-led Colts, Jimmy Brown’s Cleveland Browns, Butkus, Sayers’ Bears, etc. I would key on Gregg vs. Deacon Jones of the Rams when they played. Kramer vs. Merlin Olsen. On and on. The games in frigid Minneapolis against scrambling Fran Tarkenton. Great memories. No. 75 will always have a place in my heart. RIP.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]