All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:07 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Per the Athletic and via Matt Infante on Twitter, Miami had dinner with Drew Lock last night and then had him diagramming plays on a white board.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:08 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

As we've both said, we'll have to trade up to get Lock. I have no problem with that as we'll have to trade up this year or maybe next year.

RotoWorld wrote:
Missouri QB Drew Lock said he has met or will meet with the Giants, Dolphins, Redskins, Chargers, Broncos, and Lions. The Broncos are the least-surprising team on this list with GM John Elway reportedly "smitten" with Lock, and the Giants, Dolphins, and Redskins have a big need at quarterback. The Lions are a bit of a wild card considering Matthew Stafford is just entering the second season of a five-year extension, but he did struggle last year. Lock is expected to be a first-round pick.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/ ... /drew-lock

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:09 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Does anyone who has really studied Lock figured out why he had 3 horrible games in a row this year? I do get that Alabama and Georgia have outstanding defenses and coaching personnel. Is there a reason to be concerned about these 3 games? Aside from this, he played outstanding this year in my opinion.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/pl ... /drew-lock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:15 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Big Dave wrote:
Does anyone who has really studied Lock figured out why he had 3 horrible games in a row this year? I do get that Alabama and Georgia have outstanding defenses and coaching personnel. Is there a reason to be concerned about these 3 games? Aside from this, he played outstanding this year in my opinion.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/pl ... /drew-lock

Dave, I posted the Georgia game in another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18016

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:20 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I didn't watch the South Carolina game. The Alabama and Georgia games got out of hand early. Basically forced Missouri to go all in on passing and everything was predictable. One of his interceptions against Georgia was an awful drop by the receiver.

If we wanted to study every QB we'd find they struggle against better defenses. What I like is that Lock still put up good numbers (and performances) with limited talent in his supporting cast.

He also isn't a robot or appears afraid. He'll still take shots down field or improvise. The Jay Cutler comparison doesn't bother me because Cutler had all the talent in the world to be great. So what if he has a few reckless interceptions, Marino and Favre were gunslingers who did as well. If Lock (or Haskins) is fearless and willing to become great then sign me up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:12 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

High praise from McShay. I would say that Lock is worth trading up for.

Joe Schad wrote:
“Drew Lock has the big frame of Dwayne Haskins and the arm to hit all of his throws, but he also has the athleticism and mobility of Kyler Murray to create and buy time when he needs to,” ESPN’s Todd McShay said.

“I think back to Josh Allen’s pro day last year,” McShay said. “Lock is similar in that he’s a big signal-caller with some athleticism, but he shows more functional arm strength than Allen. He’s a gunslinger but he can be very accurate. He’s also got some more twitch to him. It’s an intriguing skill set.”

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20 ... -qb-answer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Drew Lock would be my pick if I had a choice. I believe he has the swagger and confidence to be a leader. That’s something that I think was kinda missing when I would watch RT play. Plus, I believe his pocket awareness is hands down better. I have watched a lot Drew’s tape and he isn’t afraid to put the ball in tight windows or give his receiver the chance to go get it. He didn’t have the greatest set of receivers to work with either. There were a lot of drops.

That all being said, he is not a finished product but he has all the things you would like to see.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

cboy72 wrote:
I have watched a lot Drew’s tape and he isn’t afraid to put the ball in tight windows or give his receiver the chance to go get it.

Dan Marino and Matt Moore were on hand for his Pro Day and at the Combine. I think Marino was present at the Senior Bowl as well.

If these two are doing the QB evaluation its kind of a no brainer that they would love what this kid does and is willing to do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:18 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Is Drew a QB that we just sit and hope he falls to 13 or do we try to possibly trade up and maybe see if Tampa Bay is a player? I still think that Oakland is the wildcard considering Gruden loves to draft QBs. Just thinking out loud. I don’t see him getting past the Giants at 6 or the Broncos for sure at 10.

I have said this before, if I think he is the long term answer, I figure out a way to get him.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:35 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I for one think we should do whatever it takes to draft Lock.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:29 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

cboy72 wrote:
Is Drew a QB that we just sit and hope he falls to 13 or do we try to possibly trade up and maybe see if Tampa Bay is a player? I still think that Oakland is the wildcard considering Gruden loves to draft QBs. Just thinking out loud. I don’t see him getting past the Giants at 6 or the Broncos for sure at 10.

I have said this before, if I think he is the long term answer, I figure out a way to get him.

Thoughts?

The question I have is this. If Oakland draft a quarterback 4th overall, do we pick up the phone and see what it will cost us to get Derek Carr?

Five seasons in the league and only missed two games. Excellent TD to INT ratio (122:54). A good career completion percentage (62.8). And a solid, if unspectactular QB rating (88.8). Ok he is unlikely to become an elite quarterback, but he has shown he can be a decent quarterback in the Matt Stafford tier. Granted last season was a struggle for him win wise, but he had to play behind a poor OL and on a dysfunctional Raiders team, most quarterbacks would have struggled. So in the right situation I think Carr can be a franchise quarterback in this league, and if the Raiders' asking price wasn't too high, I think we should pick up the phone if they do something wild and drafting a quarterback fourth overall.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:06 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

We can easily find our QB of the future in this draft.
Go QB!!
If you do not have one ... you are no one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A couple interesting comments on Drew Lock from SI MMQB Albert Breer on Lock. I really don't think he'll get out of the top 10.

MMQB: Albert Breer wrote:
2. One thing I always find interesting is how coaches intertwine themselves into the process this time of year, and how their assessments of players can affect those players’ stock. So I’ve got three guys here who, from what I understand, have benefitted from the coaches’ involvement. One is Missouri quarterback Drew Lock, as we mentioned in Thursday’s Game Plan column—he’s sharp, and has good presence, and talent to work with.

MMQB: Albert Breer wrote:
4. On Lock, I had a college scouting director tell me the other day that he believes the Missouri quarterback has been helped by the success of Patrick Mahomes. What did he mean? “There’s a narrative there,” he said. “The way this guy plays, the way he throws from different body positions, he’s an athlete. He’s throwing sidearm, slinging it while he’s bouncing around. You may not be sure how you’d coach it up, but he can make it work. And then you take the attitude and demeanor, he’s really smart like Pat was. He’s not Mahomes, but that Mahomes has this success without traditional mechanics should help him.” I wouldn’t be surprised to hear this again about the more freewheeling quarterback prospects in the years to come.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/15/packe ... ds-masters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

I hope he drew out two versions to help make a point: one play that can develop behind the current owners offensive line and another version of plays he can do behind an average NFL offensive line. It would remind the new coaches and managers that Miami needs a better offensive line before you develop plays.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He’s got a cool last name. It’d look nice on the jersey.

Draft him.

...he does look like a college aged Smokin’ Jay.

:)

I think the Carr train needs to slow down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:01 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
He’s got a cool last name. It’d look nice on the jersey.

Draft him.

Yeah, I need another QB jersey. I have a Henne and a Tannehill jersey that I don't know what to do with. I think I'll buy a Csonka jersey next. That's a safe bet.

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
...he does look like a college aged Smokin’ Jay.

One of the drummers in our church band looks just like Cutler. There is no expression. I usually chuckle when I see him up there because I would swear that he is the spitting image of Smokin' Joe.

:))

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I think the Carr train needs to slow down.

I think the only reason why Gruden would go away from Carr is because he has a very top pick in this draft, and he is remaking this team and the salary cap. I would seriously consider Carr if he becomes available. He's a franchise QB in my book. He checks off a lot of the boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:44 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
I think I'll buy a Csonka jersey next. That's a safe bet.

Players from decades gone. That’s the only smart move as a Dolphin fan.

Big Dave wrote:
Yeah, I need another QB jersey. I have a Henne and a Tannehill jersey that I don't know what to do with. I think I'll buy a Csonka jersey next. That's a safe bet.

Do what I do Dave, just hang up the jerseys somewhere in the house that isn’t claimed by your wife. I don’t wear jerseys, I hang them on the wall.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:10 am 

Daniel Jeremiah has Drew Lock going 30th to the Packers in his latest mock.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:

Seriously? Did someone hack his account?

Daniel Jeremiah wrote:
30 Packers

Drew Lock - QB

School: Missouri | Year: Senior

The Packers have been doing a lot of homework on quarterbacks this draft season. They once spent a first-round pick on a QB who'd become the eventual replacement for a 35-year-old future Hall of Famer, and they repeat history here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... to-packers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

This is honestly, unless you really just enjoy the banter, why paying hawk like attention to the draft lead up months prior is a waste of time. It changes like the wind. Every spring. These guys only play college ball for so long.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If Lock is there at 13 I pull the trigger but I realize the Dolphins are giving off the vibe that they are not interested.

Looks like Murray is going 1st overall, the Giants want to secure Daniel Jones and the Redskins are exploring a trade up to get Haskins.

We've been hearing for a long time that Lock will not get past Denver at 10.

The good news in all of this is it pushes someone down to Miami that is a top 10 prospect, or someone another team likes will be there and a trade down can occur.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
....and the Redskins are exploring a trade up to get Haskins.

Fool me once.....

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]