All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:26 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

One of the things that soured me on Gase was his mismanagement of Kenyan Drake in the running game. Even when Gore was injured, he went to Ballage instead. Some point to Drake's inability to be more consistent in the passing game, but Gase used him a lot in passing situations.

Barry Jackson wrote:
▪ Of Drake’s 120 rushing attempts, 19 lost yards, which is 15.8 percent.

By comparison, 10 of Gore’s 156 rushing attempts lost yards, which is 6.4 percent.

Drake also had eight carries that went for no gain, while Gore had 13.

But beyond that, Pro Football Focus metrics point to two other areas where Drake must improve:

▪ Drake allowed six sacks – most among NFL running backs – in 107 pass blocking snaps. In fact, nobody else relinquished more than three. No wonder his pass blocking grade ranked fourth-worst among all NFL backs.

(Meanwhile, Kalen Ballage allowed one sack in just 11 pass blocking snaps, which explains why he had the NFL’s worst passing blocking grade for any NFL running back, according to PFF.)

▪ Drake dropped five passes – fourth-most among NFL running backs.

That doesn’t take away from the fact that Drake is a skilled receiver out of the backfield. He was second on the Dolphins in receptions (53), third in receiving yards (477) and second behind Kenny Stills in receiving touchdowns with five.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:06 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Now we know why drake wasn't used as much as we would have liked.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:07 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Makchell wrote:
Now we know why drake wasn't used as much as we would have liked.

Maybe some coaching up and in game experience could have helped?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:17 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

How do we know that he was not coached? What if he received good coaching and just could not get it? Imo he did get game time to show what he could do and showed he does not block well.

I admit I have no verifiable knowledge of who it is on him (has to be to some degree right?) or his coaches (I don't know if they taught him or not but kind of think they did teach him something) but I wonder about this sometimes. Does the process of making it to the NFL mean that there is some level of coaching ability with these guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 am 

AQNOR wrote:
How do we know that he was not coached?

An educated guess based on the rare amount of players that actually improved their skills under Gase.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:33 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

An educated guess based on the rare amount of players that actually improved their skills under Gase.

I am curious as to what you think, overall under Gase do you think the team performed better or worse W/L than what the talent level would have suggested?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:19 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

I am curious as to what you think, overall under Gase do you think the team performed better or worse W/L than what the talent level would have suggested?

Worse.

Ultimately, Gase was brought in here to take a quarterback who had shown flashes to the next level. After some promising early returns and obviously some injury challenges, the arrow pointed down instead of up.

Overall, I look at players in the secondary being out of position, players at linebacker and in the defensive line constantly getting caught in bad angles. Guys like Cordarey Tankersly who showed promise early on doing nothing a year later. Receivers stopped getting open, Gisecki came in as a pass catcher who can't block and got used as a blocking tight end who hardly gets passes thrown to him. The list of puzzling use of players, in game decisions and personnel decisions because players may have been challenging to deal with goes on and on.

The amount of mental mistakes both in penalties and blown assignments, the amount of injuries year after year, the ridiculous lack of instinct with in game situations, the constant going away from what is working on offense... these all point to bad coaching.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:52 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I guess Gase must have put together an incompetent coaching staff. It must come from the top down too the ability, or emphasis, or whatever it is that leads to quality coaching. Other successful franchise's regularly lose coaches to other teams and keep on trucking.

Of course the special teams coach in Miami seems to do well no matter who is the head coach so it can't be all the head coach not being a good coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:09 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
I guess Gase must have put together an incompetent coaching staff. It must come from the top down too the ability, or emphasis, or whatever it is that leads to quality coaching. Other successful franchise's regularly lose coaches to other teams and keep on trucking.

Of course the special teams coach in Miami seems to do well no matter who is the head coach so it can't be all the head coach not being a good coach.

Well if the head coach is the best coach eva and his assistants are failing, then we should blame whoever hired those assistants.

:saywhat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:15 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Well if the head coach is the best coach eva and his assistants are failing, then we should blame whoever hired those assistants.

:saywhat

No I agree the head coach is the one responsible.

I keep thinking that there are only 32 nfl teams and there are a lot of people who want to coach in the NFL I would have thought then there would be a natural selection process that would push the most talented or the best coaches to the top in such a situation.

Maybe there are not as many good coaches as I thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:18 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
I keep thinking that there are only 32 nfl teams and there are a lot of people who want to coach in the NFL I would have thought then there would be a natural selection process that would push the most talented or the best coaches to the top in such a situation.

After all the first time head coaches that were defensive coordinators, offensive coordinators, position coaches, head coaches that come from college, retread coaches that didn't win a Superbowl, retread coaches that did win a Superbowl that have failed, you still think this?

The list of failed head coaches is long. And it usually has to do with some trait or characteristic that you only see when they become a head coach and the buck stops with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:39 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

After all the first time head coaches that were defensive coordinators, offensive coordinators, position coaches, head coaches that come from college, retread coaches that didn't win a Superbowl, retread coaches that did win a Superbowl that have failed, you still think this?

The list of failed head coaches is long. And it usually has to do with some trait or characteristic that you only see when they become a head coach and the buck stops with them.

It makes sense to me that it should work this way. Teams/owners want to win and I would think then that talent rises to the top. It seems to in the business world. Those who can make their company money and be successful get promoted. Now I know not every CEO is a success but the number of positions here is limited so yes I would think the best would get promoted to the limited positions. There are a lot more college programs and below them even more H.S. coaches who most I think want to advance. So there is an upward push or pressure of those who have talent to make it to the top.

I thought this would be enough to overcome the good ol boy network or its not what you know but who you know. It looks like I may be wrong about this or it does not work as well as I thought it would.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
It makes sense to me that it should work this way. Teams/owners want to win and I would think then that talent rises to the top. It seems to in the business world. Those who can make their company money and be successful get promoted. Now I know not every CEO is a success but the number of positions here is limited so yes I would think the best would get promoted to the limited positions. There are a lot more college programs and below them even more H.S. coaches who most I think want to advance. So there is an upward push or pressure of those who have talent to make it to the top.

I thought this would be enough to overcome the good ol boy network or its not what you know but who you know. It looks like I may be wrong about this or it does not work as well as I thought it would.

I think one of the problems is many owners don't know crap about football (see ours as an example) and they are the ones making the most important decision - picking someone to run your team... either with personnel or coaching... or overall.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
I think one of the problems is many owners don't know crap about football (see ours as an example) and they are the ones making the most important decision - picking someone to run your team... either with personnel or coaching... or overall.

I think he is still doing it. Who is the one flying with Grier to talk to these coaches? Grier will hire the one whom Ross likes.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:42 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think he is still doing it. Who is the one flying with Grier to talk to these coaches? Grier will hire the one whom Ross likes.

Yes!. This has concerned me too. New ways of doing things sound good in the abstract but as people we usually don't change easily or often. It may be harder for someone who is successful like Ross.

I would feel much better about the next coach if Ross was not involved. It does not sound as if a new way is being followed yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:21 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Idk. The old way was for a head man to be in charge of the GM and coach, be that Parcells or Tannenbum. Now, that guy IS the GM. This is a more traditional and streamlined approach, and there are signs that Ross is actually learning from his mistakes. I hope so anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:53 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Since Ross is part of the interview process that suggests to me that he has final say over hiring and probably firing. I think he has shown he is not good at making these types of decisions. I would be more comfortable with someone else making those decisions.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]