Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:31 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
By Armando Salguero

I know, for example, the folks pushing the idea of going with the long view never intended for it to help cost coach Adam Gase his job. That wasn’t on their mind.
Those people, in fact, thought Gase part of the team’s future.
They thought Gase mostly capable as a coach, a good leader, and a good man off the field.

Yet the Dolphins could not keep Gase and go in this new direction because Gase was fully invested in trying to win now. And he had contractual control of the 53-man roster so he could effectively stay on the win-now course if he continued in Miami.
So he had to be fired.

n two years, or around January of 2021, you’re not going to like the next head coach, either.
Because the Dolphins now are in the process of hiring their next ex-head coach.

In the past two days I’ve spoken with two sources close to two of the four candidates the Dolphins have interviewed so far. And they know the Dolphins’ job isn’t a great one. They see the problems present and those ahead.

They know.
So, I asked, why did your guy interview?
One answer: Because it’s hard for a minority head coach to be hired, and this is a chance.
Second answer: Because even the worst head coaching job in the NFL is an opportunity too good to pass up.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:56 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'm not going to pay the Herald to read this full article but from what I gather the implication is this is Dennis Hickey all over again, except with a head coach. And quite frankly, I don't buy it.

You have no idea what you may unearth from a draft or how a coach can find ways to utilize the talent currently on the roster. Yes both lines need a lot of work and Miami still needs a QB, but who is to say that can't be addressed this year? The first two days of the draft are full of great OL and DL talent. You can offer Teddy Bridgewater a 2 year deal and build a power run game.

Salguero has been floating Doomsday to get clicks for weeks and it is getting tiring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:02 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Non-story as far as I'm concerned.

We can hire the biggest, flashiest brightest name... and we have in the past... and have nothing to show for it.

In other places, guys we've never even heard of get hired and once in a while they succeed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:05 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Starts with a franchise qb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:31 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I don't pay to read either just clear out history.

He is not the only writer to voice what he has been saying that management expects some down years. There are at least two other writer s i posted on this board that say basically same thing.

I hope they are all wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:18 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
I don't pay to read either just clear out history.

He is not the only writer to voice what he has been saying that management expects some down years. There are at least two other writer s i posted on this board that say basically same thing.

I hope they are all wrong.

It doesn't look promising at the moment but we don't even know who is available, which moves Miami will make (maybe trade?) and how other things shape up.

I especially dislike his line about the next guy being fired already.

Normally I like Salguero but he has assumed the role of clown lately.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:16 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Salguero has been floating Doomsday to get clicks for weeks and it is getting tiring.

I don't mind the "gloom and doom". He's right at times, and wrong at others. He does ask the tough questions to the coaching staff.

And not in the "tank to win in three years" group either, and I think most of us know that isn't really Ross' plan even though it sounded like it. We'll know for sure when the Dolphins want to add a good free agent pick up who is still in his mid-25's and he gives his $$ approval. He hired the GM, and now he needs to step back and continue to pay the money to Make The Dolphins Great Again (MDGA).

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:07 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Here is what I believe is going to happen (and it will be fun to look back on this post in May to see how wrong I was):

Miami is going to hire Kris Richard as coach and promise him time to develop his team. They understand he can't turn it around overnight.

Miami will release Tannehill, Branch, Amendola, Parker, and Larsen to free up nearly $36.5 million.

Due to the lack of free agent options they will let Kilgore and Sitton stay for another year to compete with draft picks for starting roles.

Due to the complete lack of young DL free agents (the young ones have personal or injury issues) they will extend Robert Quinn for a couple years to cut down on his cap hit. He is only 28 years old and you can't leave the cupboards bare. He may provide a better pass rush with more talent on the line.

This would give Miami nearly $55 million in total cap space. To end the culture of letting decent talent walk, Grier will re-sign Ja'Wuan James and generously extend both Laremy Tunsil and Xavien Howard.

They will slightly overpay Teddy Bridgewater on a 2 year deal but probably avoid any other major free agent moves.

In the draft you'll see trench guys in the first two rounds because that is where the vast majority of the talent will be. I could even see Grier trying to deal back and acquire extra/future picks. They'll gamble on a Round 3 or 4 QB to compete with Luke Falk to be the backup (Easton Stick or Jarrett Stidham would work) or possibly try to unseat Bridgewater. It should be a completely open competition.

On offense you'll see a power run game and Teddy will be asked to do the same thing he did in Minnesota - manage games, don't turn the ball over. Expect Miami to draft a bell cow type back and this draft has plenty of them.

On defense my guess is Richard uses this season to evaluate what he has and see who needs competition of their job. TJ McDonald sticks around only because he's still 27 and it costs money to release him. They'll also have to figure out if Fitzpatrick is a safety or can be developed into a quality boundary corner. Can't use his rookie year against him and he certainly has the skill set to do it. It would be huge if develops and they pair him with Howard.

We'll see a decent team next year, not a tank job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:43 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I know it’s an unpopular view, but I floated the same idea as Salguero a week ago. I don’t necessarily believe the doomed view of the die being cast as our next ex-coach, but it’s certainly possible if he isn’t the right guy to see us through the rebuilding process.
Looking at it this way, it’s very unlikely we find our next franchise QB without a top 5 draft pick (in the right draft). So we will likely need to purge the roster a bit and accept the inevitable year or two of suckage. Sure you can land on a Brady or Wilson in later rounds, but that’s like the golden BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 am 

You can expect Richard (hey that's my name!) to deploy more of a power running/play action style, which is a great way to develop a young QB... if you build the offensive line built to run the ball.

Our secondary also badly needs help as you saw a ton of missed assignments back there this season. We already have a promising young corner and safety, a Pro Bowl caliber safety and a slot corner who has shown flashes.

I'm leaning towards Richard being the right guy for the job. I like his attitude and his resume. I would just hope he gets the appropriate leash to develop the team. We have to be in it for the long haul.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hire Richards, draft Easton Stick day two, and run the ball. Think Baltimore during the Flacco days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:42 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Been a while, glad to see the place is still operating.

Personally, I don't mind hiring a defensive minded coach this time. I think priority #1 for 2019 will be fixing the wide-ranging defensive issues. The quarterback position is certainly going to be addressed, but I don't think that the QB of the future will be in the locker room next year. When healthy (ha!) there is a lot of talent on offense. The interior O-Line will need to be tweaked a bit, but the off-season signing of Sitton and trade for Kilgore is hard to judge considering before we even knew it, the 2 "upgrades" were put on the IR. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Miami draft a center this year.

I'll admit that I wasn't too fond of firing Gase - we're talking about a guy who was able to win games with backups seemingly all across the board - QB, WR, OL, DL, DB - that's tough for ANY coach to do. But while the team may have been 2 meltdowns away (@ colts & bengals) from the playoffs, they were two miracles away (bears & patriots) from being a 5 win team.

But things started to become unsettling when DT Jordan Phillips was cut and had less than positive things to say about the squad. What was an already thin dline got thinner, and now to make matters worse there was a storm cloud over the team. And one thing is for sure in sports - bad vibes become a media goldmine. Nothing good ever comes from this type of situation. But keeping things in perspective, Phillips is a player who many said didn't give max effort. Maybe it was just a strained relationship with a player who was drafted by people no longer with the team? Who knows?

Now let's throw in the Reshad Jones situation. Not exactly sure what happened here, either. But let's step back a bit and think to the last off-season after deciding to promote Burke. I clearly remember the new DC talking about how valuable Jones is to the defense, something along the lines of Reshad being the "engine" and the "life" of the defense, and that every single team in the NFL could use a Reshad Jones. Fast forward a few months, and his snap count is reduced to the point where Jones pulls himself out of the game. Now I'm starting to think "what the f is going on here?"

After the Jones incident happened, it was almost certain to me that Burke wasn't coming back in 2019. Something just wasn't working like they'd hoped. But I thought Gase would still be safe. Then the end of the season came and the reports of conflict between Gase and Ross, the Tannehill divide, and an overall sense that perhaps Gase was losing the locker room came about, and batta boom within a week he was outta there.

But back to Kris Richard - like I said before, I think fixing this defense is going to be priority #1. Eventually priority #1 will be QB again, but not next year. And with the reputation and resume he has regarding defensive play and player relationships, I'll gladly accept his services should the front office decide to move that way. One thing I remember about those Seahawk teams (aside from L.O.B.) is that people loved playing there, meaning, players stayed and free agents were attracted. That is something I can say has been the exact opposite in Miami. That was obviously before the drama between Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, and Wagner flared up as of late - something I don't think Richard had anything to do with.

But, nonetheless, here we sit - another change of leadership. Let's hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

DanRambo wrote:
Been a while, glad to see the place is still operating.

Personally, I don't mind hiring a defensive minded coach this time. I think priority #1 for 2019 will be fixing the wide-ranging defensive issues. The quarterback position is certainly going to be addressed, but I don't think that the QB of the future will be in the locker room next year. When healthy (ha!) there is a lot of talent on offense. The interior O-Line will need to be tweaked a bit, but the off-season signing of Sitton and trade for Kilgore is hard to judge considering before we even knew it, the 2 "upgrades" were put on the IR. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Miami draft a center this year.

I'll admit that I wasn't too fond of firing Gase - we're talking about a guy who was able to win games with backups seemingly all across the board - QB, WR, OL, DL, DB - that's tough for ANY coach to do. But while the team may have been 2 meltdowns away (@ colts & bengals) from the playoffs, they were two miracles away (bears & patriots) from being a 5 win team.

But things started to become unsettling when DT Jordan Phillips was cut and had less than positive things to say about the squad. What was an already thin dline got thinner, and now to make matters worse there was a storm cloud over the team. And one thing is for sure in sports - bad vibes become a media goldmine. Nothing good ever comes from this type of situation. But keeping things in perspective, Phillips is a player who many said didn't give max effort. Maybe it was just a strained relationship with a player who was drafted by people no longer with the team? Who knows?

Now let's throw in the Reshad Jones situation. Not exactly sure what happened here, either. But let's step back a bit and think to the last off-season after deciding to promote Burke. I clearly remember the new DC talking about how valuable Jones is to the defense, something along the lines of Reshad being the "engine" and the "life" of the defense, and that every single team in the NFL could use a Reshad Jones. Fast forward a few months, and his snap count is reduced to the point where Jones pulls himself out of the game. Now I'm starting to think "what the f is going on here?"

After the Jones incident happened, it was almost certain to me that Burke wasn't coming back in 2019. Something just wasn't working like they'd hoped. But I thought Gase would still be safe. Then the end of the season came and the reports of conflict between Gase and Ross, the Tannehill divide, and an overall sense that perhaps Gase was losing the locker room came about, and batta boom within a week he was outta there.

But back to Kris Richard - like I said before, I think fixing this defense is going to be priority #1. Eventually priority #1 will be QB again, but not next year. And with the reputation and resume he has regarding defensive play and player relationships, I'll gladly accept his services should the front office decide to move that way. One thing I remember about those Seahawk teams (aside from L.O.B.) is that people loved playing there, meaning, players stayed and free agents were attracted. That is something I can say has been the exact opposite in Miami. That was obviously before the drama between Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, and Wagner flared up as of late - something I don't think Richard had anything to do with.

But, nonetheless, here we sit - another change of leadership. Let's hope for the best.

I agree across the board except on Phillips. I think you are exaggerating that situation. He had a horrible rep coming into the team out the gate. He’s a 330 lbs diva who doesn’t do **** all.

Welcome back brotha.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:02 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Well it looks like Flores so tanking is not even a consideration and should never be to this great franchise.
We will be no worse than the past 2 seasons. In fact we could be better. The AFC east is week. Jets and Bills are terrible and this team has just about ended this so called NE dynasty both on the field with players and now dismantling their staff. 10-6 wins the division and that is us.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]