Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 Post subject: QB options for 2019....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:11 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

From Barry Jackson....

Quote:
1) Bridgewater. An impending free agent, he struggled in his first start in three years on Sunday, going 13 for 22 for 118 yards, one touchdown and one interception in a 33-14 loss to Carolina.

2) Joe Flacco. Very likely to be cut or traded by Baltimore. He could be one-year stopgap.

3) Case Keenum. Denver can save $11 million in cap space by cutting him. His numbers (18 touchdowns, 15 interceptions, 81.2 rating) are worse than Tannehill’s but he would be cheaper.

4) Nick Foles. The Eagles will save $18.6 million against the cap by cutting him. He’s better than his 88.5 career passer rating suggests.

All of these would be stopgaps. The Dolphins know their quarterback of the future likely will come from the 2019 or 2020 drafts. Keep in mind that 2020 draft might offer better QB options than the 2019 draft.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Barring injury I think Bridgewater would be a solid guy to hold the team over until they pull the trigger on the 1st rounder. He will no doubt be as hungry as any to prove his worth. He could bank on himself to get back on the radar in Miami for a year, maybe two, then settle into the highest bidder with a fat long term contract. If he plays well. Then Miami takes advantage of the young QBs coming out in ‘19 or ‘20.

You always hear of the bonus of an incoming free agent QB benefiting from backing up great ones like Teddy has in New Orleans with Brees, it’s a little overrated but also depends on the personality of the starter but I could see Brees as one of those guys who truly cared and sympathized with Bridgewater’s situation and would go a little out of his way to be a mentor to him. I don’t know how big but that has to be a plus.

He played at Louisville but he’s a Miami kid. Played high school ball here.

Big gamble on the injury though.

I don’t see Flacco signing a one year contract. Lotta desperate teams out there. I think he knows better than to even consider committing to Miami. He would wind up in the same situation he’s already in. His career trajectory may be going the way of Carson Palmer.

Foles will command a big contract and longevity. He shouldn’t be in Philly going into next season. I don’t see him as an option for Miami. I doubt he does either.

Case Keenum..........

The only realistic option I see here is Bridgewater. He’s been the guy I’ve had in mind since word of Gase’s firing and plans of the rebuild came out. Flacco and Foles won’t even be in the mix.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:13 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Bridgewater or Foles if we plan to invest invest in the OL as a first priority. RG3 always intrigues me and has looked good lately, so, I'd bring him in as well to backup Bridgewater/Foles if he isn't under contract. I imagine the Ravens will want to keep him.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I don't want Case Keenum but I'm not opposed to Miami finding the next Case Keenum. There have been a lot of talented young QBs who came into the NFL the last few years and might just need a chance to fight and prove it. You can always hedge your bets with a cheap veteran stop gap, but why not sign a couple of young cheap guys to make it a truly open competition?

Kyle Allen threw a gem for Carolina on Sunday. Great arm talent but raw prospect coming out of Houston last year. Who knows if he can sustain that or if another guy like him is floating out there, but its worth taking a cheap gamble (not him exactly as I doubt Carolina lets him go, but you get my point).

I agree with East that Nick Foles is going to net a big contract which probably takes Miami out of the running. Teddy Bridgewater is the likely option but he won't settle for a cheap deal either. He'll have Miami bidding against others.

I still wouldn't sleep on a trade for Derek Carr. He's turning 28 and with today's QBs playing quality ball into their late 30s it isn't crazy to see him doing well for a decade in Miami. Doesn't sound like Miami is going to trade away draft assets so unless you can swap for him on the cheap it seems unlikely (may have been an option if Gase stayed).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The only option that is clear cut better than Tannehill is Carr.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I still wouldn't sleep on a trade for Derek Carr. He's turning 28 and with today's QBs playing quality ball into their late 30s it isn't crazy to see him doing well for a decade in Miami. Doesn't sound like Miami is going to trade away draft assets so unless you can swap for him on the cheap it seems unlikely (may have been an option if Gase stayed).

Carr is clearly the best talent out of the names mentioned here but with that is a high price as well, and I don’t even know if he’s worth talking about because I haven’t heard much of Oakland genuinely trying to move him.

I still think the best route is to trust the scouting department to get their guy with that 1st round pick on offensive or defensive line. I don’t see an argument that supports Carr doing much better with this team than he has in Oakland.

My hope is these guys do a solid job of bringing in young talent thru the draft for a year or two and use that to welcome the new QB in out of the draft. Whoever that can’t miss prospect is in ‘19 or ‘20. I would love to see a Bridgewater stay healthy for a couple years and be that guy for us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:18 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:

Carr is clearly the best talent out of the names mentioned here but with that is a high price as well, and I don’t even know if he’s worth talking about because I haven’t heard much of Oakland genuinely trying to move him.

I still think the best route is to trust the scouting department to get their guy with that 1st round pick on offensive or defensive line. I don’t see an argument that supports Carr doing much better with this team than he has in Oakland.

My hope is these guys do a solid job of bringing in young talent thru the draft for a year or two and use that to welcome the new QB in out of the draft. Whoever that can’t miss prospect is in ‘19 or ‘20. I would love to see a Bridgewater stay healthy for a couple years and be that guy for us.

A lot has changed. If Gase was still in town and they were retooling then Carr would do a lot better. But since Miami is looking like another Oakland then you have a point as Carr will just be wasted on this team.

Bridgewater makes a lot of sense but he could command a hefty contract due to the awful supply of free agents. Funny thing is that Minnesota quickly moved on from him thinking Cousins would make the difference. Didn't work out so well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:27 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Damon huard the heir to Marino or pat white. Use the wild pat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:34 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

But Tannehill is in the top third of NFL quarterbacks, and I have proof!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... 530a240614

I figure there are at least 100 of them out there, including practice squad QBs.
:haha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Thought about this some more last night. The Benjamin Allbright comment about the Grudens loving Ryan Tannehill certainly makes the possibility of swapping him for Derek Carr not an impossible situation.

Carr is still young and IF Miami builds a run first team it takes a lot of pressure off. Is the cost too high? I don't know. While Tannehill probably has no more than 3rd or 4th Round value elsewhere he certainly seems intriguing to Jon Gruden in Oakland. The Raiders have the 4th overall pick and two more in 20s. If they hold out for a ransom they still need to take the cap penalty and then sign another QB. If I'm Miami I'm making the pitch of "hey, both our QBs need a change of scenery and through a trade neither of us will have to enter bidding wars for middling free agents." Oakland has more than enough ammo to move up and secure either Dwayne Haskins or Kyler Murray (if he enters) if they want the top QB.

This of course hinges on whether Chris Grier and the new HC even view Derek Carr as a viable option. I just don't think the scenario is as far fetched as it may seem. There are enough "potential" Derek Carr types in the draft (Lock, Jones, Grier, etc.) where other trade partners may not feel the need to pony up a 1st Rounder.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I say we don't go with any of those options. There is no 2019 QB we want from the draft, 2020 sounds much better. That said, remember the "Suck for Luck" campaign? 1-15 in 2019 would do the trick if you want to "build for the future". That's how the Cowboys got the triplets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:38 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
That's how the Cowboys got the triplets.

That and unloading Hershel Walker to the Vikings. We don't have that luxury.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:50 am 
Honorary BILLS Fan
Honorary BILLS Fan

I wouldn't discount a former AFC QB going to Miami. I am not sure Cleveland will keep Tyrod Taylor. He is serviceable. He won't do anything to win a team a game, but also won't make disastrous mistakes to lose a game

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

DrLecter wrote:
I wouldn't discount a former AFC QB going to Miami. I am not sure Cleveland will keep Tyrod Taylor. He is serviceable. He won't do anything to win a team a game, but also won't make disastrous mistakes to lose a game

I realize he made a few play for Buffalo but it wouldn't be any different than Tannehill. Serviceable most of the time, sort of successful in the right environment, but rarely able to put the team on his back.

Tannehill's big mistakes came after injury and trying to do things his shoulder wouldn't allow, otherwise he was exactly what you described. Taylor looked like hot garbage in Cleveland although you could use the Hue Jackson excuse.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:23 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

jammer wrote:
There are enough "potential" Derek Carr types in the draft (Lock, Jones, Grier, etc.) where other trade partners may not feel the need to pony up a 1st Rounder.

How do those guys grade out compared to Luke Falk's grades last year? I like some things about Falk, but I've come to believe that the most important aspects of being a top NFL quarterback are quick decision-making, pocket presence, and accuracy. The following items from Falk's con list concern me:
Slow to see blitzers and misses hot routes
Mobility is below average
Sacked 125 times in his career
Pocket poise took downturns at various points during season
Decision making stalls out after getting through early reads

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/luke-falk ... 3dda1f2cc9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:57 am 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

I don't see Nick Foles going anywhere after him leading the Eagles to that playoff game last night.

Eagles will restructure him and he'll be happy happy happy there.

If we're going for a two year Qb to get us through, you know, to win later under this whole new philosophy we're adopting - I say just plug in someone like Flacco, Carr... Bridgewater or whoever. What does it really matter? Just pick the guy who can help mentor your QB you're wanting in 2020, if that's Tua or Fromm and let whoever we bring in raise the pup up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Coots wrote:
I don't see Nick Foles going anywhere after him leading the Eagles to that playoff game last night.

Eagles will restructure him and he'll be happy happy happy there.

That’s how I’m feeling now. Unless a team offers to part ways with their best pick for him, Foles remains in Philly with Wentz’ ongoing injury concerns. He brings way too much value and redemption to the team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:06 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:
There are enough "potential" Derek Carr types in the draft (Lock, Jones, Grier, etc.) where other trade partners may not feel the need to pony up a 1st Rounder.

How do those guys grade out compared to Luke Falk's grades last year? I like some things about Falk, but I've come to believe that the most important aspects of being a top NFL quarterback are quick decision-making, pocket presence, and accuracy. The following items from Falk's con list concern me:
Slow to see blitzers and misses hot routes
Mobility is below average
Sacked 125 times in his career
Pocket poise took downturns at various points during season
Decision making stalls out after getting through early reads

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/luke-falk ... 3dda1f2cc9

Falk's injury issues were worse than most of us knew and I'm not sure he aced his interviews. His arm strength also looked much worse. I think Grier might be like that.

The others grade higher than Falk, but if this were last year I bet they are early Day 3 types as opposed to borderline 1st Rounders. They'd be on par with Mason Rudolph and he was taken at the top of Round 4.

But who knows, they could end up being quality starters. Total crapshoot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:37 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Really liking this Easton Stick kid the more I see videos posted of him. Reminds me of being that Jimmy G type guy in the draft who gets a little hype and then becomes an early Day 2 pick.

My preference (as of today) for QBs would be the following:

1. Swap Tannehill for Carr

2. Draft Kyler Murray (if he enters)

3. Move into the end of Round 1 for Drew Lock if he falls

4. Draft Easton Stick in Round 2

5. Trade picks for Nick Foles

6. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

7. Keep David Fales and Luke Falk in a tanking effort

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You are so stuck on Carr jam, what makes you think OAK would swap him for T Hill?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
You are so stuck on Carr jam, what makes you think OAK would swap him for T Hill?

Its not that I'm stuck on him or think he's the greatest thing. I'm talking about the costs and what makes sense. If Gruden soured on him (as was reported) and loves Tannehill (as is rumored) it would make sense for them to just swap. Tannehill has a better contract and Oakland could draft his replacement early. Miami wouldn't have to give up any draft capital.

I wouldn't run with this if I didn't see people in the know suggesting it. Its better than gambling on an unknown, trading up for an overrated Haskins, or overpaying Teddy B for 2 years.

Unfortunately the most likely scenario is signing Teddy B and drafting a developmental guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:22 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Its better than gambling on an unknown, trading up for an overrated Haskins, or overpaying Teddy B for 2 years.

Nobody would deny that. It’s just way outside of reality in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:03 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Well, that does it then. If Elway likes him, he's going to be a bust in the NFL.

:mindtrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:23 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Some more fun speculation for you.

Adam Schefter floating the idea that Kliff Kingsbury would want Kyler Murray who has now declared for the draft. Josh Rosen would then be put up for a trade.

Allbright (although admitting its way too early for this) hypothesized a deal of Rosen to the NY Giants.

I personally don't like the things I've heard about Rosen's personality. I also think he is another variation of Cutler who has the skill set but will never lead a team. If he is however put on the trade block what would your thoughts be? Or would you consider moving up to take Kyler Murray?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
Well, that does it then. If Elway likes him, he's going to be a bust in the NFL.

:mindtrick

Allbright tweeted a while back that Broncos fans should start familiarizing themselves with Drew Lock. There is definitely smoke on this one although I expected to be more like Denver trading back into Round 1 to get him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:49 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Not that I want him in Miami, but I expect Andy Dalton could be released as well. His guarantees are all paid up and Cincy would save $16 million against the cap with no dead money. They pick 11th overall and are in a good spot to draft someone if need be, or seek out another free agent for cheaper money. Quite frankly I could see Cincy making an aggressive move for Bridgewater to be a better/cheaper version of Dalton.

This means you could have Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco and Ryan Tannehill as free agent bridge options to go along with the possible free agencies of Nick Foles and Teddy Bridgewater.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
This means you could have Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco and Ryan Tannehill as free agent bridge options to go along with the possible free agencies of Nick Foles and Teddy Bridgewater.

That's interesting, Dan. Would anyone flame me for being on the Andy Dalton train? Plus the fact that the Cardinals could trade Josh Rosen, a QB who was in my top 3 (Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, .... big gap here due to accuracy issues, Jackson, Allen).

Barry Jackson wrote:
Found it amusing that among four national mock drafts released this week, all have the Dolphins taking quarterbacks, but four different ones, at No. 13:

* CBS with West Virginia’ Will Grier,
* SB Nation with Missouri’s Drew Lock,
* Sporting News with Duke’s Daniel Jones and
* Bleacher Report with Oklahoma’s Kyler Murray, who is expected to enter the NFL Draft (according to the San Francisco Chronicle).

Many evaluators have Grier and Lock as second-day picks, and Jones projected to go later than Miami’s pick. Murray would be interesting if available.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just saw a report from Rappaport saying Dalton is expected to be retained. With the Bengals picking 11th and now hiring "QB guru" Zac Taylor as HC I thought maybe they'd take a shot on a rookie. Oh well.

As for the rookie QBs...Haskins and Murray will easily go top 15, if not top 10. Murray has size concerns but people are posting his film all over the place and he displays elite accuracy and arm strength. He's the guy I'd want. Haskins is good, but the criticisms are he didn't play well under pressure and often threw to wide open receivers.

Lock will be a first rounder. His arm talent is insane and he easily fits throws into tight windows. His problem is processing. Jones will probably go round 1 since he is a more athletic Andy Dalton.

Will Grier is Day 2/3 guy. He has a pop gun arm and played in an easy read system. Like our beloved Luke Falk I don't think teams will see him having an easy transition.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Would anyone flame me for being on the Andy Dalton train?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:51 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Maybe Flores or a new OC can resurrect Tannehill.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

This can't be coincidence. Today both Salguero and Jackson are saying that Miami will give both Luke Falk and Jake Rudock a chance to start games this year. Chris Kouffman tweets that he thinks Jake Rudock is Miami's plan for 2019. Ben Allbright saying Miami isn't going to bother addressing QB this year and will wait for 2020.

Outside of the Colts in 2011, is there a team you can remember who did so little to address the QB position in an effort to tank? Even the Colts waited until later in the summer or fall to basically throw their hands up to Suck for Luck.

Jackson also saying that Ross love Tua. Look, I have no problem going for Tua but I thought the whole point of this was for Ross to stop interfering and let his guy Grier make all the decisions.

It would be such a Miami thing for Falk or Rudock to catch fire and win enough games to make Miami not suck next year, and subsequently ruin their shot at a top 5 pick. Most of the other teams who got their young stud QB made trades into the top of the draft to secure him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:16 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I would be surprised if they roll out Faulk or Rudock opening day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:23 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

If they were just going to start one of the young QBs they already have and "tank" this season, why did they send Marino to the Senior Bowl to look at QBs?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Relive1972 wrote:
If they were just going to start one of the young QBs they already have and "tank" this season, why did they send Marino to the Senior Bowl to look at QBs?

I can think up a few reasons. Smoke screen and you never can tell when or if a talent may fall. I don't think Marino will have a significant say in who is next drafted Phin s QB.

If they are not picking a qb this draft as is being rumored then having Marino talk up a qb so he goes top 10 knocking a top 10 talent player at another position towards Miami could be a ploy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:54 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Relive1972 wrote:

What we hear through the news outlets isn't always what is going around in scouting circles. Miami may have known since December that Lock and Haskins were going top 10, and that Murray would if he declared. They had their contingent double check to see if any were worth trading up to get.

Another factor would be seeing Lock outside of his Missouri spread offense. Is he capable of better? Was he hindered by bad coaching and a so-so supporting cast?

Also, be prepared if one falls. Maybe you take chance or set up a smoke screen for teams behind you to trade up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:02 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Relive1972 wrote:

since we’re all wild-a**-guessing, here’s mine:

Because Tom Outofajobbi lives there? And Dan Da Man has a long overdue score to settle?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:16 pm 

Speaking of Murray, did you see that interview on the Dan Patrick show?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:35 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:

I read about it. Was it as bad as people are saying as in to the point it may cost him dearly on the football side?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:37 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Line up "Buckshot" Calvert as an UDFA and we'll be all set.

I love all the subterfuge and hearsay involved in this stuff. Everyone's guessing and speculating thereby creating some very cool story lines.

I don't think this is the year to draft a 1st round QB. I think Day 1 and 2 we'll be drafting "Big Uglies" with Day 3 filled with skill positions and DBs.

I can't wait to hear from Flores and what he plans on doing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:41 pm 

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

I read about it. Was it as bad as people are saying as in to the point it may cost him dearly on the football side?

He literally would not answer if he was going to the Combine or going to have a Pro Day.

When asked about when spring training started in baseball, he immediately spit out the date.

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]