Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:25 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson wrote:
ESPN’s Mel Kiper has three in his top 25 draft eligible players: Oregon’s JUSTIN HERBERT (sixth overall), Ohio State’s DWAYNE HASKINS (11th) and Duke’s DANIEL JONES (25).

Many expect Herbert to return for his senior season and if he doesn’t, Miami wouldn’t be drafting high enough to get him without a trade.

“Herbert has arm talent and athleticism, but I’d like to see more consistency overall,” Kiper said.

Of Haskins, Kiper writes on ESPN.com: “Haskins is eligible for this draft because he’s a third-year sophomore, and there’s some buzz that he could leave school after just one season as the starter. There’s a lot to like about him as a prospect: he has a big arm, shows great anticipation on his throws, takes care of the ball and has solid athleticism (though he’s not a great runner). The high ceiling is there, and that’s what NFL teams draft for. With 46 touchdown passes and just eight picks -- plus an utter domination of one of college football’s best defenses last week -- Haskins has first-round potential.”

If Herbert returns to school, Kiper sees Jones as having “ a real chance to be the No. 1 quarterback off the board. The most impressive trait I’ve seen from Jones this season is his ability to buy time in the pocket and use his feet to get square and make a throw. He has thrown 27 interceptions in his three seasons as the starter, and he forces passes at times, but he has mostly cut down on the poor throws this season.”

Some rate Missouri’s DREW LOCK as a likely first-rounder, but Kiper doesn’t. He has him as the No. 4 draft eligible quarterback, followed by West Virginia’s Will Grier (Dolphins executive Mike Tannenbaum watched Grier two weeks ago)

Kiper’s sixth through 10th QB prospects: NC State’s RYAN FINLEY, Iowa’s NATHAN STANLEY, Stanford’s KJ COSTELLO, Washington State’s GARDNER MINSHEW and Auburn’s JARRETT STIDHAM.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:43 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Herbert has arm talent and athleticism, but I’d like to see more consistency overall,

Sounds like our QB that we have now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:32 am 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

It'll be ride or die next year for Gase/Tannehill. If they bust next year (as expected), I say we drop the dime on Fromm if he comes out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:29 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Coots wrote:
It'll be ride or die next year for Gase/Tannehill. If they bust next year (as expected), I say we drop the dime on Fromm if he comes out.

Not sure I'm in the ride or die with Tannehill crowd, but I wouldn't go bonkers for any QBs in this draft. Haskins and Herbert probably go ahead of where Miami picks anyway.

Might be a good draft to double down on late Day 2 or Early Day 3 guys, see if you can find another Cousins type. Could also take a project guy with great tools. Drew Lock could be tempting if still on the board in the late 1st Round.

I'm coming back around on Jarrett Stidham. Not sure if he's another Bryce Petty or someone who can play starting ball on a cheap rookie deal. Clayton Thorson and Gardner Minshew are others who seem to have NFL arms. Tyree Jackson and Nick Fitzgerald are major projects but could be worth a late pick.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:49 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I think Coots is predicting the future a bit about next year and the relationship between the head coach and the qb not his own personal opinion but could be wrong about that.

If so I agree I think Gase wants to make the Tannehill situation work. I wonder now if he will try and construct a younger line. He tried to build a better line imo but went old and they did not hold up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:17 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Im simply saying I don’t like that approach, not that Coots is advocating for it. I hope Gase doesn’t stubbornly do it if by chance Miami can upgrade via trade.

My post came out different than it sounded in my head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:06 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Curious what everyone in here would prefer to see in the 1st Round.

Miami will probably finish either 7-9 or 8-8, and that will have them picking somewhere between 14th and 17th.

Herbert (if he declares) and Haskins will probably go top 10 and would do so in just about any draft. They have legit franchise QB skill sets but may not bring the hype of Goff, Wentz, Mayfield, etc. I don't think Ross will let Tannenbaum and Gase trade up for one of them.

There should be some elite defensive end, defensive tackle and corner back prospects available when Miami picks. Would you rather they go for the talent at one of those positions, or risk it with either Drew Lock (keep reading Derek Carr comparisons both the good and bad) or Daniel Jones (I've heard a weaker armed Tannehill who reads the field better)?

Its a very tough call because there is a front office and coach trying to save their jobs, a defensive unit which needs elite, younger guys, and necessary change in the QB room. In 2008 Miami thought Joe Flacco would fall to them in Round 2 only to be outmaneuvered by Baltimore. Can't assume Lock and Jones will fall unless they have a terrible draft evaluation.

You also have the 2020 crop which includes Tagavailoa, Fromm, Eason and Stanley who all project, at this point, as potentially better NFL QBs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:55 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

I think it is dangerous to make decisions on whether 2020 will "potentially" have better QBs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
I think it is dangerous to make decisions on whether 2020 will "potentially" have better QBs.

Very fair point. A lot of people made the argument of avoiding reaches in 2017 to wait for the 2018 crowd. Mahomes clearly has a better skill set than all of them. Watson has exceeded expectations. Still not sold on Trubisky.

Will be interesting to see if Rosen, Darnold, Allen and Jackson (can't include Mayfield because he wasn't a guy people talked about waiting for) have sophomore seasons that rival Watson and Trubisky.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:08 am 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Since Brady may retire soon I really think Miami should just draft OL’s. If they beef up the OL and the AFC East becomes way less competitive when Brady retires, any QB will get Miami to the playoffs.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]