Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:05 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Good

The defense played lights out. When you sack and intercept (including one pick six) the QB 4 times and hold the opposing offense to 6 points, under 300 total yards and 2-13 on third downs, you're playing winning defensive football. Standouts were Jerome Baker with his first professional interception that was returned for a touchdown, Cam Wake and Akeem Spence each with 2 sacks and Minkah Fitzpatrick who was all over the field yesterday, playing both on the boundary and the deep secondary.

The Bad

Conversely, the offense played one of their worst games of the season, totalling 168 yards, 7 total first downs, 3-16 on third downs and allowing four sacks. The big difference is the Dolphins did not turn the ball over 4 times.

The Ugly

This was an ugly win, bar none. It was a frustrating game to watch. As more and more players are injured, the Dolphins seem to become more and more inept on offense. The amount of injuries already this season is concerning. In a way, it's kind of amazing that we're sitting at 5-4 with the starting QB, entire offensive line and top wide reciever out.

Overall

For me, this felt like an empty win. One of those mid-season games that gets fans talking about 'what if' again. And then we go out the following week and get trounced. I hope I am wrong, but I didn't get much out of this win except that the Dolphins defense seems to have Sam Darnold's number. Too bad we can't play him every week.

Next week the defense faces Aaron Rodgers. He's just slightly a tad bit better than Darnold. Let's see how that goes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:11 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

As good a game summary that you have done. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:28 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

That was the fewest amount of points the Jets defense allowed all season. Only the pitiful Broncos and the Lions (in something of a Week 1 stunner) scored almost as low. Every other opponent (including Miami Week 2) had 20 or more points. And to be fair, if not for that pick 6 the game probably ended in a tie or the Jets playing for a field goal win.

Miami's offense, AT HOME!!!!, could not score more than 6 points against the Jets. Even at the height of the losing streak last year the offense could score a TD. David Fales, the guy who cannot beat out Osweiler apparently, engineered a TD against a Bills' team fighting for a playoff spot.

Miami is 7th in the conference standings, meaning edge of the wild card race, and my morale is as bad as its been in a while.

The only thing that can rescue Gase and the offense is if Tannehill comes back and plays like a guy with nothing to lose. But knowing he is always the good soldier for Gase, does anyone expect that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:40 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Should Fales get a shot at qb this week if Tannehill is out or maybe we should switch O play calling to someone else. What do you guys think.

If Fales was put in and the D prepared for Brock all week could be an advantage at least for a half maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:54 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Adam Gase rejects David Fales inquiry. Brock Osweiler missed two throws, Adam Gase says.

https://twitter.com/schadjoe

Answers that question I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:49 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
Should Fales get a shot at qb this week if Tannehill is out or maybe we should switch O play calling to someone else. What do you guys think.

If Fales was put in and the D prepared for Brock all week could be an advantage at least for a half maybe.

Yes and yes. Why not take a shot?

Watch his video from the Buffalo game and he looked competent. Played behind a backup OL, lost Landry for the final drive due to him getting ejected, and both Stills and Gase said the final interception was on Stills running the wrong route.

I wouldn't doubt Gase wants to give him a shot, but my guess is Gase won't bruise Brock's confidence if he needs him beyond the bye.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:24 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nicely done, Rich!

Rich wrote:
Conversely, the offense played one of their worst games of the season, totalling 168 yards, 7 total first downs, 3-16 on third downs and allowing four sacks. The big difference is the Dolphins did not turn the ball over 4 times.

3 of 16 on third down .... Bart Scott calls those a lot of turnovers. It's hard to generate any offense when we have a lot of backups blocking the entire interior of our OL and a QB who cannot complete passes beyond 10 yards. Teams are stacking the LOS and shutting down the run.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:57 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The game actually felt like a loss.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:09 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
The Good .... Cam Wake and Akeem Spence each with 2 sacks

Rich, I think you need a new column .... The GREAT, The good, the bad, and the Ugly. Well, nevermind as it just doesn't sound right and it will be rare to have a Dolphin in the "Great" area.

Anyways, here's this:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

We didn't look good, but we did get the sweep over the Jets this year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:56 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
For me, this felt like an empty win.

It was definitely one of those wins that felt like a loss as the offense played so poorly. The injuries have been ridiculous, and Brock is what he is and that is a backup quarterback. Between the STARTING tackles the OL is horrible as they are all players who should be bouncing around the NFL as teams try to fix the bottom of their rosters.

As Coach Gase said after the win when asked if he were happy, "No, it’s slightly irritating... It is what it is. This is every day for me, so I’m kind of used to it." Get this coach a offensive line, people. And then, get him a franchise caliber quarterback.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:22 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Well the coach has final decision on players so he could help himself to better players if he is a good judge of talent.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]