Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: QB Prospect Watch
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:04 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'll update this from time to time with suggestions on QBs and games to watch. This isn't a "get rid of Tannehill" thread so please don't make it one. We have about 7 other threads where you can rant or mock Tannehill. Tannehill, a free agent and a prospect can all coexist on the team if need be.

I think one of the biggest things for a college QB is a statement game. You need to show you can do it against top talent.

Today's prospect is Drew Lock out of Missouri. Easily the best arm talent in the upcoming draft, but he's never done it against great competition. Tonight he gets Alabama's defense. His supporting cast isn't great and he's dealt with OC changes.

I've been lukewarm on Lock. I've feared he is a system QB who will get crushed when the game speeds up at the NFL level. This year however he has shown better accuracy and the ability to not be a single read QB. His receivers let him down quite a bit.

Last week's honorable mentions are Ryan Finley and Clayton Thorson. Both had solid games against tough defenses in Boston College and Michigan State. Finley is the most accurate senior QB while Thorson continues to keep a garbage team competitive. When I see either having a big game on their plate I'll add it to the thread.

I've now read three analysts who describe him as Derek Carr coming out of Fresno St, except Carr was more of a fiery leader whereas Lock is on the quiet side. If he is Carr-like then I'm on board.

Post subject: Re: QB Prospect Watch
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:57 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Last week's honorable mentions are Ryan Finley and Clayton Thorson. Both had solid games against tough defenses in Boston College and Michigan State. Finley is the most accurate senior QB while Thorson continues to keep a garbage team competitive. When I see either having a big game on their plate I'll add it to the thread.

I really like my NC State's QB Finley, but I don't see him being more than a backup at the NFL level. Hopefully I am wrong. Tone and I had this same argument about Jacoby Brissett. I've been fortunate to see some good QB talent here at NC State. Phillip Rivers and Russell Wilson clearly had that "IT" factor here at NC State. Glennon and Brissett were good college QBs, but I didn't see anything really special about them as far as NFL talent. It was a little hard to evaluate Brisset because our OL was not very good while he was QB here. They were both good college QBs. I will say that Finley has been able to carry this offense this year which is something that Brissett and Glennon didn't do. He has taken a step forward this year, and he prevented a total 4th quarter collapse last week with some gutsy play against a BC team which has owned us over the past several years.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:06 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

And Lock failed on an epic level. This is a very frustrating year to need a QB.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:10 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
I really like my NC State's QB Finley, but I don't see him being more than a backup at the NFL level. Hopefully I am wrong. Tone and I had this same argument about Jacoby Brissett. I've been fortunate to see some good QB talent here at NC State. Phillip Rivers and Russell Wilson clearly had that "IT" factor here at NC State. Glennon and Brissett were good college QBs, but I didn't see anything really special about them as far as NFL talent. It was a little hard to evaluate Brisset because our OL was not very good while he was QB here. They were both good college QBs. I will say that Finley has been able to carry this offense this year which is something that Brissett and Glennon didn't do. He has taken a step forward this year, and he prevented a total 4th quarter collapse last week with some gutsy play against a BC team which has owned us over the past several years.

Its tough to gauge. If the juniors decide to stay in school there really isn't a guy who is throwing more accurately than Finley. Is this like the 2013 draft all over again where you had EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon and Landry Jones? Lots of misplaced hype and all have proven not to be starters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

This week's QB prospect is Nate Stanley from Iowa. He faces a pretty good defense in Maryland which is a test you want to see for a young QB.

Stanley is only a junior but he is getting serious attention from scouts. He's big (6'4 240 lbs), good arm and mobile. He operates a pro style offense and has Iowa at 5-1 on the season. He is also a team captain and supposedly a very good locker room leader.

I've read some scouts have a Day 2 grade on him now if he were to declare for this draft.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]