All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Unless Tankersley and Lippett look bad, I don't see them doing this. It could be a good move though.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:19 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm hearing that free agent rookie CB Jalen Davis is looking very good in practice, and probably a lock to make the team. We'll know more when they start to hit, but his coverage skills are good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Can never have too many good corners and pass rushers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson describes the Supplemental Draft and discusses the 3 cornerbacks who could be selected if we are unhappy with our CB situation.

Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins are open to upgrading at corner if the perfect fit emerges and NFLdraftscout.com’s Rob Rang expects three defensive backs to be available in the July 11 supplemental.

But all three have blemishes and it’s a stretch to say any would be better this season than what the Dolphins already have.

Mississippi State safety Brandon Bryant, Western Michigan cornerback Sam Beal and Virginia Tech cornerback Adonis Alexander are those players.

Here's how the process works: Teams interested in selecting a player email the league with the player they would draft and in what round. If they use a fourth-rounder, then that team would forfeit a fourth rounder in next year’s draft.

Here’s what Rang had to say about the two cornerbacks:

Beal (6-0, 185) earned second-team All-MAC honors last season, leading the Broncos with 10 passes broken up. He was overshadowed, at times, by former teammate Darius Phillips (a fifth-round pick by Cincinnati this spring) but Beal offers an intriguing upside due to his combination of size, speed and physicality. Though his numbers dropped significantly (from 55 in 2016 to just 22 last season), Beal's willingness to tackle was the primary reason why the former prep receiver was asked to make the transition to the defensive side of the ball early his career in Kalamazoo. Beal was set to enter his senior season as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 30 cornerback.

"If teams are comfortable with the off-field issues that plagued Alexander at Virginia Tech, he could wind up being the player that generates the most interest.

"[Recently], Virginia Tech officially announced that Alexander, a senior, was no longer part of the team because he failed to live up to his academic obligations. He missed three previous games with the Hokies due to suspensions, including one for testing positive for marijuana. While teams will want to investigate Alexander's character, his talent and production speak for themselves.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:25 pm 

No, thank you. Nothing to see here IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:16 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

A couple of things from the Barry Jackson article struck a note with me. First, the good assessment of Fitzpatrick although couched in a not now but future perspective, which means we'll have to wait to see the fruits of the pick. The second thing from the article was the prospects of a very long season, and a top five pick, if Tannehill goes down. Now, I like the prospects of a top five pick, it will surely bring a lot of debate here, but if that happens is there a QB there better than Lamar Jackson? I wanted Jackson and boy it would be sure nice to have him rather than the journeymen QBs we have now if Tannehill were to go down, a prospect not too far fetched it seems. Our future would start right there. OK, I know this topic is old news and I admit that having Jackson on the bench is worth less than Fitzpatrick on the field but no way a Fitzpatrick can have the long term benefits of a top QB, even one with the questions that surrounded Jackson.

So, I sure hope that Tannehill stays healthy for we have nothing in reserve there. But if he were to go down and we suffer a 3, 4 win season? A top QB prospect better be there next draft or we will be regretting not having taken Jackson this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little information on Beal. I don't think the Dolphins will draft him as we have some rising talent in our secondary, BUT if the Dolphins did rate him as a 2nd round talent in this year's draft, they may want to draft him if he is there in the 3rd round. Another cornerback potential starter is not a bad thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Some updated information from Barry Jackson. He said that Miami has done their due diligence in analyzing them. The Supplemental Draft is July 13th.

Barry Jackson wrote:
CBS’ Chris Trapasso projects Sam Beal as a third-to-fifth rounder and said he has “good height, length, fluidity, and awareness in coverage. Speed is what you want from an outside cornerback who could, in a pinch, play against slot receivers. Twitchiness isn't elite but usually impressive, particularly for a 6-foot-1 corner. Run-support is hit-or-miss. Usually knows how to find the football when it's nearing its target and has the athleticism to make plays on it. Overall, a nice, well-rounded but unspectacular skill set, and his size will entice NFL teams.”

Trapasso projects Virginia Tech cornerback Western Michigan cornerback Adonis Alexander as a fifth to seventh rounder and offers this scouting report:

“Tall, man-to-man cornerback who has experience making plays on the football in zone coverage. Being as tall as he is, Alexander lacks ideal change-of-direction skills and has a tendency to watch the quarterback for too long, a combination which makes him susceptible to routes with multiple cuts or double moves. His 2016 film was much better than 2017. Not slow but certainly wouldn't be labeled as a speedy cornerback. Has moments of good, willing run-support, but he's not consistent in that area. Big plus is obviously his length, which will allow him to get his hands on some passes when there's separation. Will struggle with faster and/or quicker wide receivers at the next level. Needs to almost solely cover larger, outside wideouts in the NFL.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:42 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

In my recollection which could be faulty, seems like not that many supplemental guys have success in the league. Of course neither do many regular draft guys.

It gives the impression to me that most going in the supplemental already indicates some sort of red flag. Imo if you take one at this time take him a round or two later than his physical draft grade if at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:31 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Two players taken in yesterday's Supplemental Draft by the Giants (CB - Sam Beal) and Redskins (CB - Adonis Alexander). Also, the Jets are in talks to bring in undrafted S Brandon Bryant.

RotoWorld wrote:
Giants selected Western Michigan CB Sam Beal with a third-round pick in the 2018 supplemental draft. The G-Men surrender a 2019 third-round pick to take Beal. At 6'1/185, Beal was forced to leave Western Michigan for academic reasons. He was projected as a top-five player at his position heading into next year's draft, so this could be a steal for the Giants if it pans out. Beal has yet to turn 22 years old and is fresh off a 4.47 forty and 37-inch vertical at his Pro Day. Beal should compete with the likes of William Gay for snaps behind Janoris Jenkins and possibly Eli Apple. The talent is there for Beal to make an immediate impact, though corner is a tough NFL transition. Beal is obviously already behind after not taking part in spring work.

Redskins selected Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander with a sixth-round pick in the 2018 supplemental draft. The Redskins will surrender a 2019 sixth-rounder. Western Michigan CB Sam Beal was taken in the third round by the Giants, and Beal had clearly separated himself from Alexander as the draft's top prospect. Alexander stands 6'2/195 but ran a 4.60 forty at his Pro Day with a 35.5-inch vertical and just nine bench-press reps. He had a number of off-field issues in college and was ruled academically ineligible before declaring for the supplemental draft. He's merely a late-round flier who should get at least one year to stick at the end of the roster. Alexander is unlikely to make a rookie-year impact barring injuries.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... pheadlines

PFT wrote:
Safety Brandon Bryant did not get selected in the supplemental draft on Wednesday, but it looks like he will be heading to training camp later this month.

According to multiple reports, the Jets are expected to sign Bryant to their 90-man roster.

Bryant was declared academically ineligible for the 2018 season at Mississippi State, which led him to enter the supplemental draft pool. He had 157 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and five interceptions while playing 37 games for the Bulldogs and ran a 4.45 40 at a pro day workout last month.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]