All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He has always looked the part. I hope he isn't another Jordan Phillips who has had focus issues on giving 100% on each play. The talent is clearly there.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Running back Kalen Ballage. He has displayed good burst as a runner – easier to demonstrate this time of year without tackling – but also nifty hands as a receiver. (He had a drop Wednesday, but he has generally been reliable.)

The key will be whether he runs with physicality once pads come on; as ESPN’s Mel Kiper noted, he “played smaller at times” at Arizona State than a 6-3, 230-pound back should.

“When he walks through the door, you draw them up like that,” offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains said. “He’s big, he’s good in protection, can catch the ball, can be a matchup issue in the passing game. You don’t want to be limited by smaller stature guys that you’ve got to take out on third down … Kenyan Drake is a guy that can play all three downs. I think Kalen fits that vision as well.

“He can catch the football. He can be a weapon out of the backfield; but he’s also big enough in pass pro. Where he needs to grow is the NFL game and nickel protections and learning that stuff, because that’s obviously the biggest transition in the NFL. He’s got to master that stuff. The more exposure that he gets, the better he’s going to get at it. I was really fired up when we drafted him.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

An update on Ballage. He did well until Gase quickened things up with the No-Huddle offense. It showed that he has more studying to do on the playbook, but I really like the rookies that the Dolphins drafted this year. They are eating, sleeping, and drinking the playbook in and are looking for mentors to help them learn how to play their positions in the NFL. Gore has been a great mentor and learning experience for Ballage.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Kalen Ballage, the rookie fourth-round running back, continues to display an impressive second gear, both as a runner and after catching passes.

“He’s progressing quickly,” Gase said. “It’s a lot on your plate as a rookie running back.”

With the expectation that Kenyan Drake and Frank Gore will play a lot, has Ballage thought about needing to make a compelling case for coaches to give him offensive snaps as a third running back this season?

“Yeah, I feel like I’ve always been a playmaker,” he said. “I definitely want to be a guy that stands out … I’m not a guy that makes a lot of mental errors.”

Asked jokingly if he has gotten Gore’s autograph, Ballage cracked: “I don’t need to. I got his number.”

He said he’s picking Gore’s brain “on everything. Frank is 14 years in the league but he studies running backs younger than him, older than him and so [do] I.”

Ballage said he has studied tape of NFL running backs Le’Veon Bell and David Johnson because “we have the same body type. They catch the ball well out of the backfield. They have lived up to the hype. That’s what I’m trying to get.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:53 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Love the competition in the back field......Still think Grant should have some plays back there.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]