View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 the Dolphin franchise tag 
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Post the Dolphin franchise tag
Quote:
The Palm Beach Post says the franchise tag "seems out of the question" for Dolphins impending unrestricted free agent LT Jake Long.
There's no question that Long will be one of the top priorities for the Dolphins this season, but his play has tailed off over the past couple of years while he's also dealt with various injuries. The tentative franchise tag number for an offensive tackle in 2013 is a whopping $15.36 million, but Miami would like to have Long back "if he accepted something like half of the $11.2 million" he made in 2012.

Quote:
According to the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins will "almost certainly" use the franchise tag on CB Sean Smith if they can't agree on a long-term deal this offseason.
The Post lists Brian Hartline as the only other option for the franchise tag in Miami, but the team may not consider him a true No. 1 receiver. Smith, 25, has the measurables at 6-foot-3, 218 pounds and plays a position that every team covets. He's tied a career-high with 12 pass break-ups and two interceptions this season, and he always shadows the opposing team's top receiver.

-Palm Beach Post

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:32 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Post Re: the Dolphin franchise tag
I'd choose Hartline over Smith, 7 days a week and twice on Sunday

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:

I'd have to go Smith on this one.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I'd have to go Smith on this one.

The only reason I'd give Smith the tag is Hartline would appear to be a much more affordable extension.

Miami has a ton of cap room and I'd prefer they use it to keep guys they know can contribute. Lock up both Hartline and Smith, don't bother using the tag and don't blow a ton of money in free agency.

The only FAs I'd be okay with Miami signing are Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings. I know Jennings has an injury issue, but I was listening to Mike Lombardi explain how Reggie Wayne was able to mentor Luck on how he and Peyton used to operate. Get Jennings to do the same with Tannehill (on how he and Rodgers operate) and you could have that veteran presence that a lot of the Dolphin alumni pointed out as a key missing factor on this offense.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:09 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

I would take Smith on this one as well. He had a stretch of games were he a very good job in coverage against Larry Fitzgerald, A.J Green and a couple of games after that.

While I think he has room to improve without a doubt, and taking advantage of interception chances rank high on the list, it hard to find young, big cover corners.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:33 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
I would take Smith on this one as well. He had a stretch of games were he a very good job in coverage against Larry Fitzgerald, A.J Green and a couple of games after that.

While I think he has room to improve without a doubt, and taking advantage of interception chances rank high on the list, it hard to find young, big cover corners.

I agree here, but Smith sure looks bad sometimes as he doesn't always seem to read the receivers eyes very well to know where the ball is. I don't think we can let him go. If we don't pay him then someone else will. My guess is that we will hammer out a contract with him and still have the franchise tag available to use on Long if we want to. As I said ... if we want to.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:37 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I agree here, but Smith sure looks bad sometimes as he doesn't always seem to read the receivers eyes very well to know where the ball is. I don't think we can let him go. If we don't pay him then someone else will. My guess is that we will hammer out a contract with him and still have the franchise tag available to use on Long if we want to. As I said ... if we want to.

Agreed. At some point you have to stop creating holes and taking fliers on unknown assets. The Pats' secondary has been a mess for years and they refuse to pay anyone. I don't want Miami being a revolving door in that department. Smith does more good than bad and should get a decent contract.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think you certainly keep Smith. He is still very young and I believe he will continue to evolve more. He has great size and range at corner and although not perfect, he is a piece that you don't want to lose.

Junkie is still reeling over the Vontae Davis trade!!! :ann0y:

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

A Reggie Bush franchise would make sense....Hartline for 10-12 million next year..Doubt it

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:29 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I wouldn't use it on either of them. Offer them a fair deal and that's that.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:36 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Makchell wrote:
I wouldn't use it on either of them. Offer them a fair deal and that's that.

:awe: :awe:

Smith has two INTs all season. Someone remind me why we need to burn top 5 money on this permanent slouch? Besides...I'm sure Ireland will mine those late round choices Miami gets awarded into rpo bowl stuff.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:52 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Finhead34 wrote:
I think you certainly keep Smith. He is still very young and I believe he will continue to evolve more. He has great size and range at corner and although not perfect, he is a piece that you don't want to lose.

Junkie is still reeling over the Vontae Davis trade!!! :ann0y:

Vontae 1 on 1 with Andre Johnson....Vontae is winning that battle. But not to worry we got 2 3rds a bag of footballs and a kicking tee for him. Ireland loves kicking tees and bags of balls. Add to that the fact we've been searching for a CB for 8 weeks. It takes a special guy to turn a team strength into a weakness overnight.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:54 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Anyone wonder about getting Jake back and putting him at RT? I always thought he could play either side.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
A Reggie Bush franchise would make sense....Hartline for 10-12 million next year..Doubt it

Franchise Bush? Interesting.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:18 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

You don't pay top money for mediocre talent. SORRY. I wouldn't franchise a one of them. Hartline would be the only one to consider. But, even he is not a top 10 WR. This is one of the problems with our franchise over the years. Over paying for mediocre performance.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

hypocritex wrote:
You don't pay top money for mediocre talent. SORRY. I wouldn't franchise a one of them. Hartline would be the only one to consider. But, even he is not a top 10 WR. This is one of the problems with our franchise over the years. Over paying for mediocre performance.

I agree. Miami over the last 15 yrs generally always chooses cheap. What was it a couple of years ago they were up against the cap & only had Long as the only star of the team. How can a team be so void of talent, but yet be up against the cap? As you said, Over paying for mediocre.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:39 pm

[i]Smith has two INTs all season.[/i

So does VD. 150yrds in the air and VD is winning that battle?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:57 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Resign Smith if he settles for the middling money he deserves. Hartline has earned a decent pay day. The team sucks for depth at WR. We need to keep Hartline.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:06 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Makchell wrote:
[i]Smith has two INTs all season.[/i

So does VD. 150yrds in the air and VD is winning that battle?

2 Picks...nuff said. BTW, not sure VD gave up those yards when Johnson went on the other side.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]