View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Read option for Tannehill 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Read option for Tannehill
Quote:
Mike Sherman said he's starting to use the read option for Tannehill NOW because "Ryan already had a lot on his plate, & it takes its toll"

Quote:
"As soon as he gets hit and hurt there will be a different thought about it," Mike Sherman said of Tannehill's read options.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:35 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Read option for Tannehill
I agree with Sherman, a lot of fans are begging to see Tannehill run around because of how athletic he is, but when he suddenly gets hurt those same fans are going to be pissed off and questioning why he was running with the ball. Read option only sets your quarterback up to get hurt.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Seattle QB seems to be doing pretty well incorporating the read option into their offensive plan attack.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Seattle QB seems to be doing pretty well incorporating the read option into their offensive plan attack.

Yeah, it's all fine for now. But what about when Wilson finally takes a bad hit and doesn't spring right back up? What happens when he gets knocked out of a game with a concussion? If he keeps playing the way he is, it will eventually happen. He got knocked out of a game in college with a grade three concussion. It's happened before, and if Seattle keeps using him like a runningback it will happen again.

I just hope our staff decides to keep Tannehill in the pocket the majority of the time while only rolling him out and moving the pocket from time to time. The first touchdown pass to Reggie Bush against Buffalo is a perfect example of how to use your quarterback's mobility for good. The read option play where he got closelined by a linebacker is an example of when it's done wrong.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:40 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

It can be run safely.. Mostly.. Lol.

Often times when the QB's choose to run.. There is a TON of open space in front of them. He just has to be taught to not take hits..Run out.. Slide more.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

just can't live and die by it like Washington does. Tannehill is soaking up a lot of diiferent formations and schemes.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:27 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Every QB is one hit away from not getting up. Play to their strengths. have depth at the position.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Every QB is one hit away from not getting up. Play to their strengths. have depth at the position.

Exactly.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:

Exactly.

Yeah, let's pound Tannehill into the ground and hope that Moore can do the best job possible on short notice. Then let's pound Moore into the ground and hope Devlin can do the best job possible with short notice. Hey, by the time we get down to Devlin I'm sure we'll have found someone else to back him up or a way to bring either Tannehill or Moore back. It will all work out. They're just quarterbacks, they're a dime a dozen, that's why you have depth. Right?

:hithead:

Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:02 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

Exactly.

Yeah, let's pound Tannehill into the ground and hope that Moore can do the best job possible on short notice. Then let's pound Moore into the ground and hope Devlin can do the best job possible with short notice. Hey, by the time we get down to Devlin I'm sure we'll have found someone else to back him up or a way to bring either Tannehill or Moore back. It will all work out. They're just quarterbacks, they're a dime a dozen, that's why you have depth. Right?

Exactly. Look , he can get hurt on a freak play with hardly any contact as he can on a play where he gets his butt pummeled. He seems like a tough enough guy , we saw him go air borne for a touch down. We just accused Brady of being a whimp , I am sure we would not want our super duper star QB to be thought of in that way as well.
Glad you are finally on board . it finally feels like Christmas.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:26 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

Exactly.

No worries....the season isn't being extended by those darn playoffs....again :grin:

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

Exactly.

Exactly. Look , he can get hurt on a freak play with hardly any contact as he can on a play where he gets his butt pummeled. He seems like a tough enough guy , we saw him go air borne for a touch down. We just accused Brady of being a whimp , I am sure we would not want our super duper star QB to be thought of in that way as well.

Ain't that the truth. Marino got tackled by the carpet and missed a bunch of games.....

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:26 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

Exactly.

Honestly, I don't care if he's seen as a tough guy or not. I'd rather he stays healthy and lives to play another down. I don't want that guy who takes nasty shots because he holds on to the ball too long like Big Ben or Mike Vick. I don't want the guy who scrambles and takes big shots like RG3. I want the guy who stands tall in the pocket and takes what the defense gives. If the play isn't there, throw it away and live to play another down. The guys who do that are the ones with the long successful careers.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
I want the guy who stands tall in the pocket and takes what the defense gives. If the play isn't there, throw it away and live to play another down. The guys who do that are the ones with the long successful careers.

Guys who stand tall in the pocket still take big hits. In fact Tannehill has been a recipient of a few this year.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I want the guy who stands tall in the pocket and takes what the defense gives. If the play isn't there, throw it away and live to play another down. The guys who do that are the ones with the long successful careers.

Guys who stand tall in the pocket still take big hits. In fact Tannehill has been a recipient of a few this year.

I get that, guys are going to take hits. But the guys who learn to stand tall and get the ball out quickly (ie Manning, Brady, Brees, etc.), they usually stay healthy for much longer than the guys who don't. Yes you cannot control freak accidents, they're part of the game. But they tend to happen less frequently to the guys who get the ball out quicker and throw it away if the play isn't there.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
I get that, guys are going to take hits. But the guys who learn to stand tall and get the ball out quickly (ie Manning, Brady, Brees, etc.), they usually stay healthy for much longer than the guys who don't. Yes you cannot control freak accidents, they're part of the game. But they tend to happen less frequently to the guys who get the ball out quicker and throw it away if the play isn't there.

You can still get hit throwing it away.

This game is evolving before our eyes. I am not a proponent of running him out there 10-15 times a game, but his ability to move the pocket and potentially gain chunk yardage with his feet would be an absolute travesty to waste. It's clear to anyone with eyes he throws better when he's allowed to move.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

You can still get hit throwing it away.

This game is evolving before our eyes. I am not a proponent of running him out there 10-15 times a game, but his ability to move the pocket and potentially gain chunk yardage with his feet would be an absolute travesty to waste. It's clear to anyone with eyes he throws better when he's allowed to move.

Look, I'm not against rolling Tannehill out and moving the pocket. The first touchdown to Reggie Bush where he rolled to his right was poetry in motion. That is an example of using your quarterback's athletic ability right. The Packers do it with Rodgers all the time and it works beautifully. I think we could do the same thing with Tannehill.

But what I hate is when we use him in read option and let him run with the football. He was tackled a couple of times in an awkward fashion in that game. He took some hits he probably didn't need to in my opinion. I think that is the wrong way to use your quarterback's athletic ability.

I see what you guys are saying. I get it. I just think there is a right way and a wrong way to use your quarterback's mobility. Read option is the wrong way in my opinion.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ryan seems to be really smart with his body when he's chosen to run. He's a bright kid and Sherman has taught him well. 2 big runs a game has been great for our offense. It only helps him more in the passing game now cuz defenses fear his legs.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]