View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Dolphins in position for a big offseason 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins in position for a big offseason
The science of evaluating talent is famously unscientific. This is true before players get on your roster — Brady was a sixth-round pick — and after you’ve already seen them for a very long time. Fitzpatrick and Sanchez are handcuffing their teams after spending years in those uniforms, given bloated extensions by front-office people who had been evaluating them for years. Calmly, the Dolphins walk into the future, through this junkyard of expensive Bills and Jets parts, with about $60 million in salary-cap room and more draft picks in the first 100 than any team in the league.

You don’t trust general manager Jeff Ireland with that, right? That’s fair. That mistrust has been earned over a decade of counterfeit saviors, and his own recent rash of cheap, free agent failures and draft picks who aren’t contributing. But the Dolphins are in the position every rebuilder wants to be in, with young and cheap promise at quarterback and the money and picks to go get him help.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/23/3 ... rylink=cpy

BILLS, JETS FALTER

Still, there is some soothing in this: The Bills and Jets entered this season very loudly but would be willing to trade places with the Dolphins today. Fitzpatrick has 45 turnovers the past two years. Sanchez has 50. In his first year, which ought to be his worst year, given how little he has played the position in his life, Tannehill has 15. Yes, you’d rather have the instant fix-a-flat that Indianapolis, Washington and Seattle received at quarterback, rebuilding while not looking like it, rebuilding with buzz, but this season was never about catching the Patriots. And now the Jets and Bills are closer to having an expensive No at quarterback while the Dolphins have a cheap Maybe.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Dolphins in position for a big offseason
I like where we're at compared to the Jets and Bills right now, especially considering that we don't know the ceiling for Tannehill yet. But that said, the gap between the Patriots and us is considerable. We'll need every one of those draft picks and ever bit of that $60M if we want to try and close the gap by a measurable amount. And even if we get the most out of that money and those picks, there is still no guarantee we're going to be on the same level as New England until Brady leaves town. I've been saying this for a while. Our window is in three years when Tannehill is fully developed and Brady is gone.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

it's time to smarten up and add as much pass rush talent as possible and beat Tom Terrific the N.Y. Giant way. He crumbles when under constant pressure. Load up on pass rush and sign Mike Wallace so we can outscore opponents and then unleash the hounds when we have a lead. That IMO would be the fastest route to Dolphin success. No reason this team can't win 10 games next year.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:14 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
it's time to smarten up and add as much pass rush talent as possible and beat Tom Terrific the N.Y. Giant way. He crumbles when under constant pressure. Load up on pass rush and sign Mike Wallace so we can outscore opponents and then unleash the hounds when we have a lead. That IMO would be the fastest route to Dolphin success. No reason this team can't win 10 games next year.

We are tied right now in 5th place in sacks with 39. Our pass rush is not an issue IMO, Wake is an animal, Misi Oddrick and Starks get pressure as well. I think that is an area we can add to if its an easy pick up, otherwise our offense is needing the help..

We need more than Wallace, as of now we have 2 WR's. So add Wallace and nab up someone big in round 1 - 2 that has a familiarity with this style offense. Then grab a few more in later rounds & UDFA's...

Reggie has like 1400 AP yards, so he needs to be resigned or they better have something in mind. We cant just let 1000+ yard players walk away every year and be successful in the NFL..

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:01 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Miami has a lot of holes to fill or upgrade. WR, OG, OT, DE, TE, CB, S. Its going to be interesting to see which of their own free agents Miami decides to resign. That will set the stage for which remaining holes have to be filled through free agency, trades & the draft. I agree Miami needs to add a pass rusher to compliment Wake. But Miami's offense is in desperate need of some play makers at WR & TE. Even though Miami has a lot of draft picks and plenty of cap space I am not sure they are going to be able to completely close the gap between them and the Patriots in 2013. If they are smart and lucky they can take a huge step forward and then finish the job in 2014. I'd much rather be in Miami's position then Buffalo or the Jets.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:24 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I really like where we are at as well. With numerous draft picks & money to spend who would not be appreciative of that position. But as the post points out there is still that Ireland factor & my trust in him is pretty low right now. We liked our position in 2008 as well. Going 11-5 with even what some of us were truthful to admit was a stop gap QB but who would mentor the young gun in the wings , a proven head of operations who screwed over Atlanta (talk about Karma) to come here & a super duper terrific neato trifecta of guys who were gonna cook the dinner & buy the groceries. Now we are left with 1 broken link of the 3 while still debating whose pick was whose & who really wanted who. But as the post also includes our getting better is really by 2 teams in our division getting worse & stating that maybe in 2 years we can overtake a 38 year old QB who has dominated like none other. Well I sure hope so but really by then when it is all looked back upon on film or any other media the story will always be Patriot dominance & other AFC east teams incompetence. But we will forget that & just praise the regime who is here at the time. even when 8-8 once again wins this division.
We have sat here in front of our keyboards for many years now posting scenarios of our rise to the top again only to be disappointed on Sundays & embarrassed in the off season. As it is all cyclical we will get better again , I just wish all the other teams would stop trying so hard to improve as well , because I am tired of the rookie QB , rookie head coach , lack of talent , the refs are out to get us , if the ball bounced a bit differently , we were just one player & one play away excuses.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

With $60m of cap space available, we may be forced to get a top FA. The CBA stipulates that teams must spend somewhere around 90% of the cap.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:50 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:
I really like where we are at as well. With numerous draft picks & money to spend who would not be appreciative of that position. But as the post points out there is still that Ireland factor & my trust in him is pretty low right now.

With the holes that are obvious on this team, I definitely agree with you. He has had some success but he's had some real whiffs as well.

His last two drafts. I'll highlight the successes in aqua and the potential busts in red. Undecided I'll keep white. He had more success in 2012, but the 2011 draft was weak.

2012 - Miami Dolphins
RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 8 Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M
2 42 Jonathan Martin T Stanford
3 72 Olivier Vernon DE Miami (Fla.)
3 78 Michael Egnew TE Missouri
4 97 Lamar Miller RB Miami (Fla.)
5 155 Josh Kaddu LB Oregon
6 183 B.J. Cunningham WR Michigan State
7 215 Kheeston Randall DT Texas
7 227 Rishard Matthews WR Nevada-Reno

2011 - Miami Dolphins
1 15 Mike Pouncey C Florida
2 62 Daniel Thomas RB Kansas State
4 111 Edmond Gates WR Abilene Christian
6 174 Charles Clay RB Tulsa
7 231 Frank Kearse DT Alabama A&M
7 235 Jimmy Wilson DB Montana

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The key is that they cannot overpay Long and Bush, though I would love for those guys to be back on the team.

Another WR and some help in the secondary and depth on the DL, and this team could be dangerous.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:29 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think it is safe to say that this upcoming off season is a make or break offseason for one Jeff Ireland. The Dolphins have the cap space and the draft picks to be a contender in the near future if Ireland does a good job of resigning key personnel and having a solid draft.

The Dolphins are now the 2nd youngest team in the NFL, and they have a lot of good things happening right now. Yes, there are many pieces that need to be added, but a lot of people like were the Dolphins are right now.

The moves that Ireland makes and the draft that he puts together can either make the Dolphins a contender, or continue the downward spiral that the Dolphins have been in close to a decade.

I will start with the pass rush. A poster pointed out that the Dolphins have 39 sacks, which ranks in the top 10 in the NFL. Cameron Wake has been a beast and he has 14.0 sacks. Jared Odrick is next with 5.0 sacks. Randy Starks has 4.5 sacks, which is very solid from an interior DL personnel, and I think it is key that he be re-signed. He is very stout against the run also.

The point is, the Dolphins have to have another pass rusher opposite Wake. Olivier Vernon has potential and talent, but he also has only 2.5 sacks, with 2 of those coming against St. Louis. Another pass rusher opposite Wake is key. The key to beating New England and Tom Brady is CONSTANT pressure. The Dolphins sacked Brady 4 times and held the Patriots to 23 points. There are some very talented DE's coming out in this draft, and the Dolphins should be able to get one of those talented kids.

Another area that has to be addressed still is the OL. I sincerely hope that Jake Long and the Dolphins can come to an agreement on an incentive laden deal that both team and player can live with. I still think Long is a solid football player, ELITE, I don't think so, and his play the last few year and his ability to stay healthy backs my point. I think the Dolphins will look to draft a couple of OG personnel to have competition for Incognito and Jerry. If the Dolphins don't re-sign Long, then an OT will be needed.

Wide Receiver is another position that will need to be addressed, and addressed EARLY. Cal WR Keenan Allen is considered the top WR in this draft. A couple of kids I LOVE is Terrance Williams of Baylor and Tavon Austin of West Virginia. Both of those kids have speed and are very good after the catch, aka YAC. I think multiple WR's will be drafted, and Ireland needs to get this right after he did not do a good job of addressing it after trading Brandon Marshall.

The Dolphins will need to add a couple of CB as well, especially if they don't re-sign Sean Smith. Smith is another player that is solid, but not ELITE. As a matter of fact, Sean has plenty of room to still improve and develop. He has shown flashes, but still is not what you thought he could or would be.

I will definitely get more into the draft in the coming weeks. AND yes, it is indeed a HUGE off-season for Jeff Ireland.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:00 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I want to see a 1st round WR and a top WR signed in free agency. Find out once and for all if Tannehill is the answer. Bush needs to be resigned. This team needs play makers. I think Miller will eventually supplant Thomas as the #2 back. In the second and third round, they have 4 picks.....if hey can come through with a starting CB and another pass rusher with those 4 picks, then I would be ecstatic. Use the rest of the draft to bring in linemen. I think tight end is adequate for now....far from ideal....but not the big need. Clay and Fasano are productive.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:39 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Find out once and for all if Tannehill is the answer.

You make it sound as if we've been waiting four years for him to develop...

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:01 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Find out once and for all if Tannehill is the answer.

You make it sound as if we've been waiting four years for him to develop...

nothin like fast tracking his evaluation. Watch a few throws, then get him outta here!! LOL

Last edited by swerve13 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
His last two drafts. I'll highlight the successes in aqua and the potential busts in red. Undecided I'll keep white. He had more success in 2012, but the 2011 draft was weak.

2012 - Miami Dolphins
1 8 Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M
2 42 Jonathan Martin T Stanford
3 72 Olivier Vernon DE Miami (Fla.)
3 78 Michael Egnew TE Missouri
4 97 Lamar Miller RB Miami (Fla.)
5 155 Josh Kaddu LB Oregon
6 183 B.J. Cunningham WR Michigan State
7 215 Kheeston Randall DT Texas
7 227 Rishard Matthews WR Nevada-Reno

2011 - Miami Dolphins
1 15 Mike Pouncey C Florida
2 62 Daniel Thomas RB Kansas State
4 111 Edmond Gates WR Abilene Christian
6 174 Charles Clay RB Tulsa
7 231 Frank Kearse DT Alabama A&M
7 235 Jimmy Wilson DB

Mathews and Miller could be starters next season...Thigpen was another feather in his cap

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:33 am

Safe to say after the draft we should be real contenders & favorites.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

why didn't we throw to Bush all year?

:hithead:

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I think Miller will eventually supplant Thomas as the #2 back.

If he has another nice game like today, I think it's a certainty that he'll supplant Thomas. Miller has a big chance to prove himself coming off the bench behind Bush. He has a lot to gain. I think he'll continue to make the most of it.

I really liked what I saw out of him today. He followed his blocks well, he hit the hole with a nice burst, and he always fell forward keeping his legs driving. I was very pleased with what I saw out of the kid. He complemented Bush very well and kept the chains moving.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]