View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Saban says Dolphins had picked Brees over Culpepper 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Saban says Dolphins had picked Brees over Culpepper
I'm not sure if anyone really cares about this. In fact, I would think that all Dolphins fans know that Saban wanted Brees but our docs said his throwing shoulder was bad, but then again, there are still fans that say that we traded Wes Welker to the Patriots when they signed him as a restricted free agent from us and gave us a draft pick as there was no way we could match the 'poison pill' in that contract to smooth things over with a divisional rival.

Anyways, I think Saban would have made a good head coach for us if he'd had a better GM. And I think he'd be crazy to leave Alabama. He's a great college coach, maybe an average NFL coach.

Quote:
Saban says Dolphins had picked Brees over Culpepper
by Mike Florio

In what could be viewed as Alabama coach Nick Saban’s first toe in the water toward no longer being the Alabama coach, Saban has disclosed for the first time publicly that he picked quarterback Drew Brees over quarterback Daunte Culpepper in 2006.

“We chose Drew Brees,” Saban told Dan Le Batard of 790 The Ticket in Miami. “I’ve never ever talked about this publicly. . . . That’s the guy we made the first offer to.”

Saban said that Brees failed the physical after Brees and the Dolphins had agreed to terms. Brees had suffered a shoulder injury during the final game of the 2005 regular season.

Instead, the Dolphins sent a second-round pick to the Vikings for quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who had torn his ACL, MCL, and PCL during an October 2005 game against the Panthers.

Since Saban never does anything without a plan, the plan could be to clean the slate on the perception that he picked Culpepper over Brees, shifting the blame to the doctors and in turning clearing a path for NFL teams that may have lingering concerns regarding his perceived preference for Culpepper over Brees to chase Saban.

Though Saban may have no current interest in returning to the NFL, there’s nothing wrong with being chased. At a minimum, having suitors at the NFL level could get the folks in Tuscaloosa to pony up more cash in order to avoid losing him.

Indeed, as pointed out by our brethren at CFT, Saban made it sound like he won’t be leaving Alabama for the NFL.

You know, sort of like when he made it sound like he won’t be leaving the NFL for Alabama.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... culpepper/

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Saban says Dolphins had picked Brees over Culpepper
Big Dave wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone really cares about this. In fact, I would think that all Dolphins fans know that Saban wanted Brees but our docs said his throwing shoulder was bad, but then again, there are still fans that say that we traded Wes Welker to the Patriots when they signed him as a restricted free agent from us and gave us a draft pick as there was no way we could match the 'poison pill' in that contract to smooth things over with a divisional rival.

Anyways, I think Saban would have made a good head coach for us if he'd had a better GM. And I think he'd be crazy to leave Alabama. He's a great college coach, maybe an average NFL coach.

I understand why they did not sign Brees. QB with a bum shoulder against a QB with a bum knee. I personally did not realize how much DC could not read a defense.

NOS did not care about the shoulder injury & signed Brees. I'm not sure they even gave him one. Saban was to scared to pull the trigger, which is what we heard about his time in Miami.

However, its typical Miami fashion. Choosing the wrong path.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:23 am
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

I'll never understand how consistently the god's steer talent away from the Dolphins.

Sometimes it's bad luck, sometimes it's poor decisions, but it's always consistent.

We have a lot of things going against us to begin with, then the fates do the rest of the damage to Miami.

I think the most frustrating reality is what we saw when Peyton had a chance to come to Miami. I believe that he and many other top players would avoid playing in the AFC East due to the fact that the patriots destroy your chances for playoffs would hurt your stats. Would anyone who cares about their yardage, TD's, and wins voluntarily chose to have to play the Patriots twice a year or more? That's insane. Look at how good Houston is.... Houston dominates almost every team they play. They only had to play the darn Patriots once and they got destroyed this year. After that game, the Texans look like Gods again. I hate our division.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Satan is covering his ass..........there's a lot of speculation he''ll be highly sought for several NFL openings. Most notably Cleveland. He wants a big offer so he can go back to Bama and get more $$.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:55 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I asked him straight up in the bubble that year. I said "are you going to Bama" he said "no, I am commited to the Dolphins". Brees, C-Pep, whatever, he lied.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Saban as a coach is just alright, but as a recruiter he's second to none. That's why he's so successful in college and was wildly mediocre in Miami. He needs to stick to what he knows, which is SEC football.

If he's telling the truth, and the medical staff didn't clear Brees, then you have a hard time holding it against him. But what makes me believe that this is total BS, is the fact that New Orleans WAS willing to sign him. That makes me think our staff just got cold feet. I seriously doubt that the medical staff in New Orleans is any better than the one in Miami.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

why is this guy talking? what a piece of S-HIT

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:13 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Perhaps at that time our medical staff just needed some better talent to surround them.

time to get over this , just another typical move that worked against us .... Yes , the C-PEP days. We now have a legit QB was the thought. Funny thing is he had his best game against us while with Oakland. Mak and I will never get that image out of our heads of him pointing to his knee while beating us as we were sitting next to each other at that game.
Saban really screwed us but you cannot deny what he has done at the college level. Alabama would be swirling in mediocrity if Shula had remained there.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:

If he's telling the truth, and the medical staff didn't clear Brees, then you have a hard time holding it against him. But what makes me believe that this is total BS, is the fact that New Orleans WAS willing to sign him. That makes me think our staff just got cold feet. I seriously doubt that the medical staff in New Orleans is any better than the one in Miami.

I believe it was reported back then, that Miami doctors failed him on the physical. I believe NOS didn't care about the injured shoulder. They did not believe it to be any type of a concern.

Here is an article written back in Mar. When Manning was a FA
Quote:
The Miami Dolphins figure to be one of the most aggressive teams in bidding for the services of Peyton Manning, who will be released by Indianapolis on Wednesday morning.

In doing so, the Dolphins will be mindful of what happened six years ago when they let a prime opportunity get away.

In 2006, the Dolphins were in the market for a quarterback and had a chance to sign Drew Brees, who was coming off a devastating shoulder injury. Brees had been released by San Diego, which had decided to cast its lot with Philip Rivers.

Brees and his wife visited Miami, loved it, and the quarterback was prepared to sign with the Dolphins. Dolphins coaches and executives loved him too, seeing Brees as an ideal fit for that organization. What's more, they knew they were in competition with New Orleans, where Brees had visited on his way to Miami.

However, Dolphins doctors failed him on his physical, telling the team Brees' shoulder was iffy and that he might not be able to perform.

The Saints wound up signing Brees and wound up winning a Super Bowl with him. The Dolphins traded for Daunte Culpepper, who was an unmitigated flop.

Safe to say the Dolphins won't be quick to fail Manning on his physical.

In pursuing Peyton Manning, Dolphins will remember Drew Brees

Another one written in 2009 By Adam Schefter |

Quote:
Fates intertwined: In March 2006, Miami made one decision that shaped the lives of men, franchises and cities. After putting quarterback Drew Brees through a rigorous six-hour physical, the Dolphins decided not to sign the free-agent quarterback and instead opted to trade a second-round pick to Minnesota for quarterback Daunte Culpepper. As a courtesy, the Dolphins told Brees they would wait two hours to announce the trade for Culpepper so he would not lose any leverage with the Saints. A short time later, Brees and the Saints agreed on a six-year, $60 million deal.

Had the Dolphins ignored their doctors and signed Brees -- who at the time preferred to play in Miami -- two franchises would have reversed course, and the football world would look very different today. Nick Saban might still be coaching in Miami rather than Alabama. Bill Parcells likely would not be in Miami with all the coaches he brought with him. New Orleans might not be thriving the way it is now. And nobody would be reflecting on the circumstances that led Brees to leave Miami for New Orleans, and the game he has against the Dolphins on Sunday.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:56 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

To me, it is how Saban left the Dolphins. The lying was bad, but just taking off and letting Huizenga pick up the pieces. Pure low class.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mak and I will never get that image out of our heads of him pointing to his knee while beating us as we were sitting next to each other at that game.

Remember that? Ouch. Funny thing is, every game I've been to in MIA I've walked out annoyed. This year wee got to witness the worse home loss since '69, so fun being a Fin fan. When they start winning and and the first person that tells me I jumped on the Fins bandwagon is going to get punched right in the nose.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
To me, it is how Saban left the Dolphins. The lying was bad, but just taking off and letting Huizenga pick up the pieces. Pure low class.

JJ did the same thing...We have not recovered yet

Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]