View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Is Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill finally blossoming? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Is Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill finally blossoming?
Quote:
By Omar Kelly Sun Sentinel

3:11 p.m. EST, December 17, 2012

Ryan Tannehill put together his best performance as the Miami Dolphins starting quarterback during Sunday's 24-3 win over Jacksonville, and he did it with one arm figuratively tied behind his back.

Davone Bess, the team’s slot receiver since 2008, missed his first NFL game on Sunday. That meant Tannehill was forced to make the best of what was already perceived as a talent-strapped receiving corp.

We’re talking tailbacks – Reggie Bush and Marcus Thigpen - lining up as receivers.

We’re talking Marlon Moore starting his first NFL game.

We’re talking newly signed receiver Armon Binns, who was claimed last week and practiced with the team for all of three sessions, playing flanker.
We're talking Brian Hartline blanketed by a receiver and safety for the first half of the game.

None of that stopped Tannehill from carving up a mediocre Jaguars defense ...

The Dolphins rolled Tannehill out more. They also used a quarterback option to help create favorable down-and-distances for the offense.

"He managed the clock and used his feet to get key first downs to keep the chains moving," Moore said of the difference he saw in Tannehill.

Tannehill attacked the middle of the field consistently for the second straight game.

Many of Tannehill's incompletions were either drops (four) or passes that got broken up (one). That's a step in the right direction for a quarterback with accuracy problems (58.7 percent

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 2980.story

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Is Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill finally blossoming?
Blossoming? Man these writers switch superlatives every week on how to describe his play.

That being said, with Bess out it forced Tanny to look to other receivers and that's something I wanted to see. He used his feet more in this one to create more opportunity for the receivers to get open .... and that's also something I've been begging for Sherman to do.

There were a couple of TD drops in this one that would've made Tanny's number even better and it was nice to see him not playing down to the competition. That said, it's the Jags. I want to see how he does when we play the Pats again.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Blossoming? Man these writers switch superlatives every week on how to describe his play.

That being said, with Bess out it forced Tanny to look to other receivers and that's something I wanted to see. He used his feet more in this one to create more opportunity for the receivers to get open .... and that's also something I've been begging for Sherman to do.

There were a couple of TD drops in this one that would've made Tanny's number even better and it was nice to see him not playing down to the competition. That said, it's the Jags. I want to see how he does when we play the Pats again.

Remember, this was Tannehill's first game without the knee brace. I think the knee brace had something to do with our staff allowing him to roll out or run with the ball. Perhaps Sherman was calling plays to protect him?

You're right, there were a couple of touchdown drops, but there was also a sure fire touchdown early in the game had Tannehill hit Matthews in stride over the middle. Needless to say, we left a lot of big plays on the field in that game whether it be touchdowns or interceptions, you name it. The Jags gave us every opportunity in the world to blow them out and we did to a certain degree.

We've got two divisional opponents coming up. There are three things I want to see out of Tannehill before the season ends. One, I want to see him put up better performances that he did the first time he met these two teams. Two, I want to see him finish the season with more touchdowns than interceptions. Three, I really want to see him win next week so we can finish the season with a winning record at home.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Good Lord, they beat the Jags....the putrid Jags.....featuring our castaway QB.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:08 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Hey , lets call it the signature win of the season.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Former New York Giants star quarterback Phil Simms, who was the MVP of Super Bowl XXI, spoke glowingly of Miami Dolphins rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill on Wednesday.

"It's been a very successful year for him and the Dolphins," Simms said on The Sid Rosenberg Show (640-AM).

"I was watching [Tannehill] play against the San Francisco 49ers and I just remember saying, 'Wow.' He just really had a presence about him," said Simms, who has two Super Bowl rings.
"I thought he handled himself well," said Simms, an analyst for CBS. "I just remember thinking, 'Boy, it's been a real successful year for Tannehill.' That's just how I feel.

"I think the Dolphins did the right thing and they've got this team going in the right direction. Now it's just about putting players around him and continuing to build around the quarterback."

Phil gives Tannehill more praise than Eli

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:55 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

he is "finally" blossoming... he's played 14 NFL games how soon do you expect him to blossom?

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Former New York Giants star quarterback Phil Simms, who was the MVP of Super Bowl XXI, spoke glowingly of Miami Dolphins rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill on Wednesday.

"It's been a very successful year for him and the Dolphins," Simms said on The Sid Rosenberg Show (640-AM).

"I was watching [Tannehill] play against the San Francisco 49ers and I just remember saying, 'Wow.' He just really had a presence about him," said Simms, who has two Super Bowl rings.
"I thought he handled himself well," said Simms, an analyst for CBS. "I just remember thinking, 'Boy, it's been a real successful year for Tannehill.' That's just how I feel.

"I think the Dolphins did the right thing and they've got this team going in the right direction. Now it's just about putting players around him and continuing to build around the quarterback."

Phil gives Tannehill more praise than Eli

Well...not quite lol. But good words.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:39 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FINesse wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Hey , lets call it the signature win of the season.

I'll call it that. Simply because the Jags have our castoff QB starting for them. If Jax comes down and wins that game.... and more importantly if Henne had a good game carving up the Dolphin secondary, the fallout would've been IMMENSE.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:17 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
I'll call it that. Simply because the Jags have our castoff QB starting for them. If Jax comes down and wins that game.... and more importantly if Henne had a good game carving up the Dolphin secondary, the fallout would've been IMMENSE.

Nah ....

The downside was certainly catastrophic if we lost. But beating them has very little upside since they are a terrible terrible team. You can draw nothing from such a boring win.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:31 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

RT sucks one week, then he's blossiming the next. Man the media must be bored.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

In the last 4 games he has 4 TD's and 1 interception. He is progressing. I'd love to see him throw more than 2 TD's in a game one time this year. Lets see how he finishes up the last 2 games of the year.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
In the last 4 games he has 4 TD's and 1 interception. He is progressing. I'd love to see him throw more than 2 TD's in a game one time this year. Lets see how he finishes up the last 2 games of the year.

Averaging 1 TD a game in that span is progress? Two of them came vs. arguably one of the crappiest teams in the league.

He's kept the INT's down lately which is good.

Provided we have enough healthy receivers, the game agains that Pats in Foxboro is what I'm interested in seeing.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Averaging 1 TD a game in that span is progress? Two of them came vs. arguably one of the crappiest teams in the league.

He's kept the INT's down lately which is good.

The fact that he has kept the interceptions down over the last 4 games is what I call progress. I agree that he needs more TD's.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:

would have had 4 this week if guys held onto the ball, makes his stats deceiving.

see! receivers do matter.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:15 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Tannehill had a very efficient game for us last week, and he did this without Davone Bess. I am happy to think that we may have finally filled a position of failure since Dan Marino retired.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:30 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree Dave. Although we aren't yet watching the second coming of Marino, Tannehill has given me the most peace of mind since Danny Boy left us. Stats are not over whelming, but when Miami gives him better lineman and add more receiver weapons, I see greater things in store for this team.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:48 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rock Sexton wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

Nah ....

The downside was certainly catastrophic if we lost. But beating them has very little upside since they are a terrible terrible team. You can draw nothing from such a boring win.

I can draw something. This is a game the Dolphins HAD to win. When I say the fallout being immense from losing (and especially Chad Henne having a great game), fans would've taken to the airwaves en masse and Jeff Ireland would've almost certainly lost his job.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]