View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tons of news and notes from Dolphins coordinators 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Tons of news and notes from Dolphins coordinators
Quote:
Coordinators Monday was very interesting today. Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman and defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle gave insight into a number of topics including the future at left tackle, the surprise at right tackle, Ryan Tannehill, Jason Trusnik, and more.

I thought the most revealing statement of the day came from Mike Sherman, who gave team credibility to the idea that next year's left tackle might not necessarily be JaKe Long. As you know, this space and my column has discussed at length the idea that if Jonathan Martin plays well at left tackle, that will affect the Dolphins approach to re-signing Jake Long for next year.

Bluntly, Martin is cheaper than Long and if he's about as good as Long, Long has a problem returning to Miami at a high salary.

Sherman gave voice to this stream of thought.

"I think he has a chance to be a very good tackle in this league," the offensive coordinator said of Martin. "He still has some growing up to do and learning and whatnot and strength development. But I think he has a chance to be an excellent left tackle or right tackle in this league, wherever he ends up next year."

Martin has started two games and faced two premier pass rushers both times in Aldon Smith and Jason Babin.

By the way, the Dolphins are pleasantly surprised by Nate Garner at right tackle. He was struggling to make the roster in camp. Now?

The club is still concerned mostly about his pass blocking, but so far so good.

"He's put together a couple of really good games," Sherman said. "You worry about how he's going to handle the pass rush but he's done a good job."

Up next for Garner will be Mario Williams of the Buffalo Bills.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Tons of news and notes from Dolphins coordinators
I think we might be leaning towards making Martin our LT next season. Garner is probably going to be replaced at RT. If you have to worry about his pass protection, then you're better off replacing him. I hope to see Martin finish the season strong in these last two games. If he does, then I think he's going to make Ireland's decision a much easier one.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The team can't afford Long. Too many holes to fill and he will still expect big money.....

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
The team can't afford Long. Too many holes to fill and he will still expect big money.....

I agree, $10M+ a season spread out over a long term deal for a declining player isn't a recipe for future success and cap space. I really hope Ireland knows that he has to move on. We're better off not going after any big name free agents and taking the 3rd round compensatory pick for Long.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:51 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I liked Garner a few years ago and then he got benched. I remember that one season he filled in everywhere along the line and did a great job.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]