View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Donte Stallworth? 

Should the Dolphins consider WR Daunte Stallworth?
Yes 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
No 80%  80%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 30

Donte Stallworth? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Donte Stallworth?
Peter King wrote:
Donte' Stallworth is on the verge of being reinstated by the NFL.

I'm hearing that after the Super Bowl, commissioner Roger Goodell will reinstate disgraced wide receiver Donte' Stallworth so that he'll be able to sign with any NFL team in 2010. Stallworth will be 29 this offseason, and there's no guarantee he'll get a job in the league, though he seems to have turned the corner after his DUI manslaughter conviction in March led to the widely decried month's jail sentence plus probation -- plus a huge settlement (thought to be between $3 million and $5 million) with the family of the victim he ran over, Mario Reyes, on a Miami causeway early in the morning of March 14 last year.

Goodell recently met with Stallworth for two hours, and he came away impressed that Stallworth would devote time for the foreseeable future to anti-drunk-driving causes. Living in south Florida, Stallworth is coaching kids part-time and working out seriously to try to get in the kind of shape that would convince a team to give the well-traveled and chastened receiver one more shot.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ef=writers

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Donte Stallworth?
dont forget the other set of stats

homicides 1

no thank you

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:00 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Pass on the convicts please!

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:25 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

He has never been a standout or top WR on the teams he has played on...

I dont think he is any better than Camarillo/Hartline/Bess

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:32 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

His numbers are no better than the guys we already have.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not an upgrade anywhere.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sign him & give him the chance. He was a stand up guy on the accident. He made a mistake & took the responsibility for it.

A little on the injury prone side, but he is better than what Miami has currently. Plus I'd say he will come back with a little more heart.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Sign him & give him the chance. He was a stand up guy on the accident. He made a mistake & took the responsibility for it.

A little on the injury prone side, but he is better than what Miami has currently. Plus I'd say he will come back with a little more heart.

:shock: :shock:

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:13 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I actually said "yes". What he did was very wrong, but I've been in cars during my college days where the driver had been drinking a few. It could have happened to them, too.

I like his yards per catch. That's stands out to me more than what we have as receivers. He seems to be trying to right the wrong that he did as much as he can.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... If you are going to get a FA WR, get one WORTH GETTING! (Marshall).

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:19 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Forgive me but I do feel that every person deserves a second chance. And I am confident Donte will get his. I just hope he doesn't turn into another Leonard Little. If he drinks and drives again, ever, his license should be permanently revoked. I don't know if thats the law, it's a personal feeling of mine.

Give him another chance if he shows he is truly remorseful, which I believe he has. I just don't see the point of adding him to our roster, performancewise. Especially considering the accident happened in Miami, I think that would be a huge media issue, that we don't need.

Atlanta didn't want Vick back, and that mess didn't even happen in their back yard.

PS. :jests:

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:37 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

We don't need another fast guy who can't reliably catch the ball much less one that's been out of the game for a year.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Ski_Money wrote:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... If you are going to get a FA WR, get one WORTH GETTING! (Marshall).
As of right now Marshall is not going to be a FA, so until he becomes one then you had better look at other options.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NoleFin wrote:
Forgive me but I do feel that every person deserves a second chance. And I am confident Donte will get his. I just hope he doesn't turn into another Leonard Little. If he drinks and drives again, ever, his license should be permanently revoked. I don't know if thats the law, it's a personal feeling of mine.

Give him another chance if he shows he is truly remorseful, which I believe he has. I just don't see the point of adding him to our roster, performancewise. Especially considering the accident happened in Miami, I think that would be a huge media issue, that we don't need.

Atlanta didn't want Vick back, and that mess didn't even happen in their back yard.

PS. :jests:

It should be revoked the minute you're caught drunk driving...what's the law on someone that uses a gun to kill someone? Do they get to keep their gun permit?
It's dumb enough to get drunk, let alone crawl behind the wheel of a car (which is a lethal weapon). I'm all for second chances, yes, but I feel like Vick got it worse off than Stallworth, and Stallworth killed a man...not some dogs.
Yes, killing dogs is wrong, but those dogs don't have families grieving for their loss every day from here on out. Am I lessening the life of a dog? Considering that one of their years is 7 of ours...yes, yes I am.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:08 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Im drunk right now

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:49 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Iceberg85 wrote:

homicides 1

no thank you

What he did was not homicide.

That being said, I wouldn't sign him unless again like Chris Chambers, we aren't way down the list of guys.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Are we this desperate??

BTW - everybody does deserve a second chance but make no mistake he got a deal that the average person would not have gotten because he was able to pay up to the victms family.
Also I would think Miami might not be the best place for him.

Maybe Cecil Coillins & Lawrence Phillips can work out some kind of work release .. how bout them.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The reason I'm willing is simple. He called the police. He took responsibility. He pleaded guilty. Yes, he paid the daughter money & she was alright with that. It set her up for what should be for life.

His BAL was .12. which is not off the chart. So he was driving sloppy drunk & most of us do not realize how few drinks it takes to get to that level. Remember at one time .1 was the legal limit

If memory serves me correct. Didn't the man run out in front of him trying to catch a bus? If so, then had Stallworth not been legally drunk, might have not have been at fault.

To compare him to Vick is off base IMO. Vick made a long term commitment to killing dogs. Stallworth ( Who has never been in trouble ) made a short sighted decision to drive, thinking he was alright & at .12 I'm sure he was not that bad off.

Also to compare Collins & Phillips up is just asinine.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:52 am

Sure, he deserves a second chance, I don't think thats the argument... the argument is, his talent level is no higher than the guys we got!!

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
Sure, he deserves a second chance, I don't think thats the argument... the argument is, his talent level is no higher than the guys we got!!

His talent level is worlds above what Miami has. His hamstrings are another story.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:44 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

His talent level is worlds above what Miami has. His hamstrings are another story.

Worlds?? What Donte Stallworth were you watching, I must have missed something.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
Worlds?? What Donte Stallworth were you watching, I must have missed something.

Speaks more to the lack of talent in Miami's Wr corp.

When Stallworth is on he can be a productive Wr. The problem with Stallworth is he normally has been in the shop to much.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:24 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Iowafin wrote:
It should be revoked the minute you're caught drunk driving...what's the law on someone that uses a gun to kill someone? Do they get to keep their gun permit?

My last comment before this has to move to the political chat lol
You can't compare aiming a gun and willfully pulling the trigger with a drunk driving accident. And what about self defense. There's a myriad (Big Word) of reasons someone should keep their permit if they use their gun. Besides, I think in Florida they have to wait three years then can reapply, I could be wrong I live in Birmingham Alabama now, where they give you a gun when you enter the state
:yay:

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NoleFin wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

My last comment before this has to move to the political chat lol
You can't compare aiming a gun and willfully pulling the trigger with a drunk driving accident. And what about self defense. There's a myriad (Big Word) of reasons someone should keep their permit if they use their gun. Besides, I think in Florida they have to wait three years then can reapply, I could be wrong I live in Birmingham Alabama now, where they give you a gun when you enter the state
:yay:

Yes, I wasn't asking rhetorically, it was a legitimate question. I wasn't sure how that worked. However, I think you can compare the two. He willfully got drunk and got behind the wheel. No if's and's or but's...it's because we don't take drunk driving that seriously that people end up getting killed like this. If we compare a DUI charge the same as attempted murder, I think you'd see a serious decline in the number of them, because it is a choice to drink and drive. Those that think you're drunk and don't know any better shouldn't be getting drunk in the first place.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:06 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

there are much better options that we ought to pursue first.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I dont think hell ever want to come to miami again. Yeah right but no serious no not very product in his last couple of years. I dont think he really had good year since he left NO or NE one of the 2

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:07 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

Bones wrote:
there are much better options that we ought to pursue first.
my thoughts exactly. if we signed stallworth then that means we are pretty desperate and alot will have to go wrong in order to consider a guy whohas not produced in the capacity we require

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:13 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I would take a chance on him with a low risk contract with very little up front.

As far as the second chance, I'm on the side that everyone deserves one. I have driven before when I knew I should not have back when I was young and stupid. I thought I was invincible; accidents only happened to other people.

Then my father was killed by a drunk driver who fell asleep at the wheel. I can't speak for the guy's daughter, but I didn't want the girl who killed my Dad to be punished forever. I just wanted and still want her to think about him everyday and remember what she took from my family.

If Donte is truly sorry and is making amends, then I think he should be allowed to play again.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:36 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Mindtornado wrote:
I would take a chance on him with a low risk contract with very little up front.

As far as the second chance, I'm on the side that everyone deserves one. I have driven before when I knew I should not have back when I was young and stupid. I thought I was invincible; accidents only happened to other people.

Then my father was killed by a drunk driver who fell asleep at the wheel. I can't speak for the guy's daughter, but I didn't want the girl who killed my Dad to be punished forever. I just wanted and still want her to think about him everyday and remember what she took from my family.

If Donte is truly sorry and is making amends, then I think he should be allowed to play again.

Wow! I'm truly sorry for your loss. Due to your experience you offer a unique perspective on the Stallworth case.

It speaks volumes about your character that you don't wish malice upon the person who took someone so close to you.
:awe:

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:39 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Dphins4me wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Need a few "tense" corrections in your post. "His talent level "was" (not is) worlds above what Miami "presently" has.

Maybe we could get Stallworth and Plaxico and they could share a cell, I mean locker together>

I will agree to giving any man a second chance but it won't be for this team

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

Bones wrote:
Mindtornado wrote:

Wow! I'm truly sorry for your loss. Due to your experience you offer a unique perspective on the Stallworth case.

It speaks volumes about your character that you don't wish malice upon the person who took someone so close to you.
:awe:

my condolences as well.I agree with the shot at second chances at life as i have benefited heavily from it myself after almost doing life in prison for doing stupid bone-head things in my teen and early adult years (armed robberies and such), one after another. Fortunately for me there was still hope for me once i matured and got my head outta the south end of a north bound donkey. i personally am grateful for all those that have the courage not to be overly judgmental, such as tornado here. I do feel like such a horse's arse bout the people i have victimized, but on the same note and token i don't always expect to be shown love as too many people read a book by it's cover and see some one 6'2" 275 lbs and tatted down and think gang related trash. Sad to say, thats just the way it is, but oh well i made my bed now i gotta lie in it i reckon.
As for stallworth, i do think he should be allowed to play, just not for us, as it is my opinion that his skills would not be a tremendous upgrade to what we're currently working with. I wouldn't be against bringing him in however and trying him out in the preseason just to be sure though.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

mikey wrote:
[Fortunately for me there was still hope for me once i matured and got my head outta the south end of a north bound donkey

:)

That was friggin' hilarious Mikey!!
I'm gonna have to borrow that one!!

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:55 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
Iceberg85 wrote:

homicides 1

no thank you

What he did was not homicide.

That being said, I wouldn't sign him unless again like Chris Chambers, we aren't way down the list of guys.

my apologize Vehicular Manslaughter via Drunk Driver

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

Bones wrote:
mikey wrote:
[Fortunately for me there was still hope for me once i matured and got my head outta the south end of a north bound donkey

:)

That was friggin' hilarious Mikey!!
I'm gonna have to borrow that one!!

thanks, be my guest bro.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:41 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

mikey wrote:
Bones wrote:

my condolences as well.I agree with the shot at second chances at life as i have benefited heavily from it myself after almost doing life in prison for doing stupid bone-head things in my teen and early adult years (armed robberies and such), one after another. Fortunately for me there was still hope for me once i matured and got my head outta the south end of a north bound donkey. i personally am grateful for all those that have the courage not to be overly judgmental, such as tornado here. I do feel like such a horse's arse bout the people i have victimized, but on the same note and token i don't always expect to be shown love as too many people read a book by it's cover and see some one 6'2" 275 lbs and tatted down and think gang related trash. Sad to say, thats just the way it is, but oh well i made my bed now i gotta lie in it i reckon.
As for stallworth, i do think he should be allowed to play, just not for us, as it is my opinion that his skills would not be a tremendous upgrade to what we're currently working with. I wouldn't be against bringing him in however and trying him out in the preseason just to be sure though.

Thanks for the kind words Bones.

And Mikey, without waxing too religious, my old sunday school teacher always told us that it didn't matter where we were in life, it only mattered that we were headed in the right direction. Good luck staying in the opposite direction of that donkey's ass.

I too think a pre-season try out would be the way to go with Stallworth. No risk. It is worth a shot and it couldn't hurt anything. Most people thought Moss was washed up after his stay in Oakland. Sometimes all it takes it a change of scenery.

With a year under his belt, the Dolphins should trust Henne to go deep more frequently. It will be a shame if he has no one to throw it to.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mindtornado wrote:

I feel ya man, I lost my sister to a drunk driver when I was 16. Do I wish harm on him? No, I just have extreme bitterness for anyone that thinks drunk driving is an accident. Falling off a ladder is an accident. Getting behind a steering wheel when you're drunk is a choice. Was there intent to kill someone? No, but it's like pointing a loaded gun at people when you're hopped up on caffeine; at any moment the finger can slip and someone is dead. What Stallworth did, what that lady did, and that guy did was truly moronic...

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

Mindtornado wrote:
Good luck staying in the opposite direction of that donkey's ass.

thanks tornado, i appreciate it.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

aside from the Vehicular Manslaughter, I don't really want him because he is basically an older version of Ted Ginn.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:28 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Great idea! And maybe we could pick up David Boston and start both of these guys... we'd have the most reliable WR tandem in the league!

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]