View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Bush is a mismatch against LBs in the passing game 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Bush is a mismatch against LBs in the passing game
:hithead:

Armando Salguero wrote:
As has been discussed countless times in this cyberspace, Bush is a mismatch against linebackers in the passing game. And yet, the Dolphins don't use him a lot in that role. Bush has only 28 catches on the season -- mostly on check-down passes.

You ever wonder why the Dolphins don't use him more in the passing game? Bush has.

"Yeah, I wonder about it," he said. "But it's not really my decision to make. The tape is there. The proof is there. If they need me to go run routes, I think they know I can do it. I've done it in practice. It's a matter of scheme and how they feel."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Bush is a mismatch against LBs in the passing game
He is? Good coaches expose mismatches.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:45 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I've wondered all season why we don't use Bush on delayed screens against the blitz. Think about it... he sets up to block and then just gets behind the blitzer... and there will be all this room to run behind the first level...

Teams actually do this against us quite a bit...

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:50 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Yes they do. You;re right about the screens, I've wondered all year. I've seen screens to Lane and Thomas. Mind as well run up the gut with those guys.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think we've been asking this for two years now. We thought last year Bush would make Henne into a much better passer given his preference of shorter throws and we thought Bush could be a killer quick slants or screens in this Sherman offense.

Umm....

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:56 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
I've wondered all season why we don't use Bush on delayed screens against the blitz. Think about it... he sets up to block and then just gets behind the blitzer... and there will be all this room to run behind the first level...

It's baffling man. So much has been made of needing playmakers and we've got a guy who is a LB's worst nightmare in the open field, but we NEVER use him.

The Patriots would've had this guy at least 50-60 catches this year. I can't cut this coaching staff slack when they refuse to use what talent we do have.

jammer wrote:
I think we've been asking this for two years now. We thought last year Bush would make Henne into a much better passer given his preference of shorter throws and we thought Bush could be a killer quick slants or screens in this Sherman offense.

Umm....

I wonder if the Henne's and Tannehill's are just not trusted to throw often into that portion of the field. Otherwise, this is pure coaching lunacy.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
I wonder if the Henne's and Tannehill's are just not trusted to throw often into that portion of the field. Otherwise, this is pure coaching lunacy.

Henne maybe. But I've seen Tannehill throw a few quick slants to clowns like Naanee and Armstrong, and he threw a few last week. Not sure why they can't line Bush up for those (yes I know he's dropped a pass or two).

I think your latter point is more accurate. I think they were trying to get blood from a stone with several players who just weren't working out.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:32 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I have said this multiple times on the show. Reggie needs to be used more in the passing game because he IS a mismatch for any linebacker in space.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

My take on it is that Bush is not in the long term plans for management.
I've been saying we should expect legacy players to continue to be cut after the season. Even players that fans expect to be around.

Bush IMO is at extreme risk. His rushing numbers aren't that impressive. His receiving numbers are nothing of note. And Philbin wants "his" guys in there. That's a recipe for a guy who will be given his walking papers.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
My take on it is that Bush is not in the long term plans for management.
I've been saying we should expect legacy players to continue to be cut after the season. Even players that fans expect to be around.

Bush IMO is at extreme risk. His rushing numbers aren't that impressive. His receiving numbers are nothing of note. And Philbin wants "his" guys in there. That's a recipe for a guy who will be given his walking papers.

How does one put up receptions when they don't call the plays? How does one put up better rushing numbers when he's being pulled for a bum by the name of Daniel Thomas every couple of plays?

This legacy stuff is bullchit. I thought they were in the business of winning games and utilizing the playmakers we do have? Clearly not.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I hate to point out the obvious, but how often do you see the Packers throwing to their runningbacks??? I know they don't have a player like Bush, but just think about it, check downs and screens aren't the hallmark of the Packers offense. Sherman and Philbin are cut from that same cloth. Runningbacks are meant to block and run in their system.

I know it's popular to say "make the scheme fit the players" but that clearly isn't what our coaching staff wants to do. They're stuck in their ways because they've seen it work over and over in the past. Our coaches have their system and they aren't going to change it for Bush, period.

That's why I feel it's best to let him go after the season. No sense in paying the guy $5M a season if we aren't going to use him right. Let him go, draft another runningback, and move on. Between Thomas, Miller, and whoever we draft we'll have enough guys to split the carries up.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
I hate to point out the obvious, but how often do you see the Packers throwing to their runningbacks??? I know they don't have a player like Bush, but just think about it, check downs and screens aren't the hallmark of the Packers offense. Sherman and Philbin are cut from that same cloth. Runningbacks are meant to block and run in their system.

I know it's popular to say "make the scheme fit the players" but that clearly isn't what our coaching staff wants to do. They're stuck in their ways because they've seen it work over and over in the past. Our coaches have their system and they aren't going to change it for Bush, period.

That's why I feel it's best to let him go after the season. No sense in paying the guy $5M a season if we aren't going to use him right. Let him go, draft another runningback, and move on. Between Thomas, Miller, and whoever we draft we'll have enough guys to split the carries up.

Like you said, did the Packers ever have a back with the athleticism of a Reggie Bush? No. So was their offensive system by design or necessity?

All of this is hogwash. It's not like WCO's can't ever make use of running backs with Bush's talents ...... ever heard of Roger Craig? So we're not talking about "making the scheme fit the player" ..... we're talking about incompetence when it comes to making use of an actual playmaker we have on the roster. This in turn makes our rookie QB's life even harder. Utilizing Reggie in space would also help keep the pass rush off balance.

I just don't get it ..... actually I do. They don't wanna pay the man. Tired of this "well it's that regime's guy" nonsense. I thought we were trying to win! What does it matter if he's not in the long-term plans????

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:

Maybe Philbin is not the offensive coach we thought along with Mike Sherman. Reggie Bush is on the roster and is a weapon. All you have to do is go back and see how the Saints used him in the passing game.

You could see what Reggie could be when the Dolphin staff started to figure out how to best use Reggie. It about having playmakers and figuring out how to use them. The Dolphins don't have many, so they needed to figure out a way to use Reggie more effectively before this point in the season.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:24 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

When we line up 5 wide with Bush in the slot I still dont see the ball going his way...

Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:06 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
Maybe Philbin is not the offensive coach we thought along with Mike Sherman. Reggie Bush is on the roster and is a weapon. All you have to do is go back and see how the Saints used him in the passing game.

You could see what Reggie could be when the Dolphin staff started to figure out how to best use Reggie. It about having playmakers and figuring out how to use them. The Dolphins don't have many, so they needed to figure out a way to use Reggie more effectively before this point in the season.

what he said , good points Tone.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:57 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If Miami let's Bush go to free agency next year, Belicheck is sure to snatch him up and he will become a pro bowl player and haunt the Dolphins twice a year just like Welker does.

They need to utilize ALL of Bush's abilities, but they don't and we ask why??? It is perplexing.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:24 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Even if they can't figure out how to get a pass to him, he needs to see more snaps in the running game. Guys like him will deliver big plays in the running game, but you have to be patient and you have to feed him the ball. Maybe the injury is scaring them? He had one great season when the team leaned heavily on him and gave him the ball. The line was better, but it isn't like we aren't running the ball plenty....we just keep putting Thomas in for too many carries.

What is perplexing is the receiving stats for Thomas and Bush....Thomas averages 10.4 ypc and Bush only gets 7.9 ypc....You would think those numbers would be reversed.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:23 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Guys like him will deliver big plays in the running game, but you have to be patient and you have to feed him the ball

You would think Philbin would know this, yet he sticks with Dan "fall down" Thomas.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

it showed today. Why the hell did they wait so long? That's his strength, he's better in space.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Makchell wrote:
Guys like him will deliver big plays in the running game, but you have to be patient and you have to feed him the ball

You would think Philbin would know this, yet he sticks with Dan "fall down" Thomas.

He's 235 and can't even fall forward...

That's one thing I miss about Ronnie Brown. Even when he got tackled, he always gained an extra 2 yards while going to the ground.

Thomas is complete garbage.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]