View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Daniel Thomas has a suckish game vs Patriots 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Daniel Thomas has a suckish game vs Patriots
Sounds like we should see a little more of Lamar Miller. How can he be worst?

PFF wrote:
Rough Day

Though he only played 43% of the team’s offensive snaps, Daniel Thomas (­-4.0) had about as bad a game as a player can have. His work in the running game was disappointing; on five carries, he managed to gain only 10 yards, with most of that coming on his long run of nine. His second-quarter fumble deep in Miami territory, though luckily recovered by the Dolphins, was a critical mistake and nearly a devastating turnover in a game in which offense was hard to come by. And as bad as Thomas was in the running game, his efforts in the passing game were even more disappointing. While the second-year RB did catch two passes for 19 yards, he was abysmal in pass protection. On his five snaps in pass protection, Thomas was beaten three times for a hurry, a hit, along with a drive-killing sack on a 3rd-and-4midway through the fourth quarter. Aptly, his Pass Blocking Efficiency rating of 50.0 was the lowest of the week by any back, tight end, or offensive lineman.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... s-week-13/

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:50 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Daniel Thomas has a suckish game vs Patriots
he was abysmal in pass protection

Wait, wait...I thought Miller was, that's why he's not playing. I hope our coaches figure this out cause a lot of the blame is on them.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
he was abysmal in pass protection

Wait, wait...I thought Miller was, that's why he's not playing. I hope our coaches figure this out cause a lot of the blame is on them.

It really should be audition time for the rooks on offense. I can understand Egnew not getting in there because I'm still reading reports that he is terrible, but lets see what Matthews and Miller have to offer. Marlon Moore is not an answer and Daniel Thomas is hot and cold. They could afford to lose some extra snaps to the rookies.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Where is Jeff Fuller? He is 6'4 and can jump. Why not use him in a few goal line/jump ball situations. Hartline, Bess and Fasano aren't exactly "big" targets in those situations.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:37 am
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Why is finding or landing talent so elusive for this franchise?

You almost would have to do this on purpose to be so bad at seeking talent so consistently. I just dont freaking get it.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Where is Jeff Fuller? He is 6'4 and can jump. Why not use him in a few goal line/jump ball situations. Hartline, Bess and Fasano aren't exactly "big" targets in those situations.

The guy drops the ball a lot, that said, I'd like to see him get a shot these last few games to see what he can do. Same goes for guys like Matthews, Miller, etc. If we beat San Francisco, keep going with what you have. But if we loose to the 49ers, and we probably will, it would be a good time to let some of the younger guys get some experience. Especially Lamar Miller and Rishad Matthews.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:04 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Unfortunately coaches go by what they see in practice and if players such as Fuller do not play as well as their starters the coaches are hesitant to play them. They know this team has to almost play perfect on offense to beat most teams. At 5-7 I think playing it safe isn't going to help us going forward.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:15 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Unfortunately coaches go by what they see in practice and if players such as Fuller do not play as well as their starters the coaches are hesitant to play them. They know this team has to almost play perfect on offense to beat most teams. At 5-7 I think playing it safe isn't going to help us going forward.

I made it clear that I was a big fan of the idea of bringing in Fuller. He was Tannehill's #1 target in college. I knew he had a case of the drops (kind of like Marshall), but at the same time he was still productive. I was hoping he'd be able because of his size and strength to find a nice on the offense and get in as our 3rd or 4th receiver. But that clearly hasn't been the case to my dissappointment.

I think you might be right Big Dave, I think playing it safe with regards to certain players and certain parts of the system has led to this team missing out on certain opportunities. We've been very hesitant to bring in too many rookies.

We've already got Tannehill and Martin starting on offense, Lane plays a lot too. We've been playing Shelby and Vernon a lot on defense as well. So in that regard I think they're simply looking to avoid having too many rookies playing at once. But if we should happen to loose this week, then yes, I think it's time to start letting these kids really go after it and see what we've got. In the final week or two I'd love to see Tannehill, Martin, Lane, Miller, and Matthews all on the field at the same time. Maybe even Fuller if he earns it. We need to know what we have going into the offseason. The only way we'll know is if we play the guys.

Next years draft and free agency are crucial. Philbin, Sherman, and Coyle are going to have to keep replacing the Sparano era players and bringing in their guys. I think we're not even 50% of the way there in terms of having the new staff's players in there. I think we're two more years/drafts away from having a complete roster full of Philbin's guys. Does that translate into success/wins? I don't know just yet. I like what I've seen in certain aspects with this new group, but I'm still reserving harsh judgement until after they're midway into the 2nd season. By then I think we'll really start to see this roster/system take root.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]