View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Why the Ryan Tannehill hate? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Why the Ryan Tannehill hate?
http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/12/4/3 ... i-dolphins

Quote:
Change for change's sake. That's the mantra of the Miami Dolphins fan. One bad play, one bad series, one bad game, and it's time for a change. It doesn't matter what it is. Just change it. That will make it all better.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Why the Ryan Tannehill hate?
My rebuttal to this highly reputable journalist's (obvious sarcasm) question is...

WHERE the Tannehill hate?

Because I don't see anyone calling for his benching.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:45 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If a dog is beaten long enough he will flinch at anything. The same is the case for a loyal Miami Dolphin fan. We have been through so many bad coaches and QB's and regimes we tend to flinch and panic when something bad, ANYTHING bad happens. We can't help it.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:18 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

We were such a great team, cant believe we are not contending now after all the great moves to aquire talent this off season...

/sarcasm

Dont listen to fans, or us bloggers on these sites. Listen to the people who get paid to evaluate. Find what they say about Tannehill..

Find me a credible reporter (not miami based beat writer) that is saying RT has not played well above expectations..
Thats my biggest beef with the topic. Its angry fans trying to tell us they know better than people who played in this league, coached in this league, and are paid to evaluate and report on players....

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:49 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
WHERE the Tannehill hate?

Dang, I haven't seen much of it except from the few still holding onto Matt Moore. Even they've been quiet lately.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I wonder if pointing out facts and saying a player needs to do better is considered hate? If so, how much hate do the coaches of a team show in meeting rooms?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

We're 5-7, ahead of where people expected us to be, despite a rookie head coach and rookie quarterback. We're in the 1st year of a major overhaul as well. Why again would we want replace Tannehill???

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The idea of using the word hater is childish in my opinion anyway. We have used countless number of other QB examples of guys that got off to a slow start in their career. Tannehill will continue to get better and I believe us Dolphin fans have brighter days ahead.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
I wonder if pointing out facts and saying a player needs to do better is considered hate? If so, how much hate do the coaches of a team show in meeting rooms?

What we're witnessing is the pattern of behavior exhibited by those who are unwilling to discuss "constructive" criticisms. It's better to exaggerate said criticisms and take the conversation off into imaginary tangents because there can't possibly be anything wrong that needs tweaking.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:12 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Fun little stat...

In his first 12 starts, Tannehill has 7 TD's. Marino had 27.

Not insinuating anything. I just like stirring the pot...

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Fun little stat...

My turn ......

But he broke Marino's rookie passing record!!!! All 9 games of it!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

My turn ......

But he broke Marino's rookie passing record!!!! All 9 games of it!

And if Marino played today he would pass for 50tds in his rookie season.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Fun little stat...

1. Ryan Tannehill is NOT Dan Marino

2. Moore,Duper and Clayton is a pretty good group to start your carreer with, not to mention the three O-lineman that made the pro bowl that year (one of them being arguably the best center ever to play the game)

3. Ryan Tannehill is NOT Dan Marino

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

paydurt wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Fun little stat...

2. Moore,Duper and Clayton is a pretty good group to start your carreer with, not to mention the three O-lineman that made the pro bowl that year (one of them being arguably the best center ever to play the game)

Bingo. Two very different players, in two very different eras, on two very different teams. Let's let Tannehill develop over the next couple of years and see what kind of quarterback he becomes. I'm betting he's going to be pretty good once he gets a good team built around him and he's got a couple of years under his belt. While the numbers aren't stellar, I've seen many flashes from this kid that have shown me that he has the ability to be great if he can take those flashes and make them happen more consistently.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:29 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Agreed...BUT, which came first the chicken or the egg? In other words, did Marino make the WRs? With Marino's quick release, did he make the OL? Just trying to be devils advocate here.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I honestly feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day every time I come to this site.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:33 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I honestly feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day every time I come to this site.

I feel that way every season. Losing season, losing season, losing season....same result different coach and players.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:48 pm

Quote:
Ryan Tannehill is NOT Dan Marino
.... yet

:)

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

In 9 games his rookie year, Eli Manning had 6 TD's, 9 INT's and a 55 QB rating.

Seems like Tannehill is ahead of Eli. And I'll sign up for Tannehill to have Eli's success.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:

Seems like Tannehill is ahead of Eli. And I'll sign up for Tannehill to have Eli's success.

How do you some of you guys even begin to try to rationalize this kind of comparison and eventual output? Too funny man. I'm totally shocked you didn't pick someone with similar stats who didn't make it.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
degs wrote:

How do you some of you guys even begin to try to rationalize this kind of comparison and eventual output? Too funny man. I'm totally shocked you didn't pick someone with similar stats who didn't make it.

I'm just pointing out to those who worry about Tannehill already putting up Elite numbers that guys develop and it isn't all about the QB. It takes a team to win Superbowls.

But you are definately right, I could put up someone with better stats who sucked.

Tannehill is a rookie on a mediocre team. He's doing OK. Not great. Not awful. Give it time to develop and let's see what happens. But he's the best hope this team has had this century.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hey....even Weeden is now surpassing Tannehill. They both have a QB rating of 72.3 and Weeden has 12 TD's to Tannehill's 7. I think Weeden has 15 picks to Tannehill's 12. They have similar yardage. Weeden is ranked #30 and Tannehill is #31. Luck is #29, but he has a 1,000 more passing yards and a winning record.... I don't think Cleveland is loaded with top notch receivers and backs either......

I still think Tannehill has potential, but we might hedge our bets next draft....Seattle drafted two and their 3rd round pick is killing it......19 TD's to 8 INT's.....

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:39 pm

degs wrote:

LOL Degs & I agree but ... Jeff Ireland / Jerry Reese ... hmmmmmmmmmm

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Hey....even Weeden is now surpassing Tannehill. They both have a QB rating of 72.3 and Weeden has 12 TD's to Tannehill's 7. I think Weeden has 15 picks to Tannehill's 12. They have similar yardage. Weeden is ranked #30 and Tannehill is #31. Luck is #29, but he has a 1,000 more passing yards and a winning record.... I don't think Cleveland is loaded with top notch receivers and backs either......

I still think Tannehill has potential, but we might hedge our bets next draft....Seattle drafted two and their 3rd round pick is killing it......19 TD's to 8 INT's.....

Wilson has a pretty good running game to fall back on if I'm not mistaken (Marshaun Lynch). Weeden has one as well (Trent Richardson / Peyton Hillis). Didn't Tannehill beat Wilson head to head also???

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:08 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Wilson has a pretty good running game to fall back on if I'm not mistaken (Marshaun Lynch). Weeden has one as well (Trent Richardson / Peyton Hillis). Didn't Tannehill beat Wilson head to head also???

No , the Dolphins beat the Seahawks in a pretty close game head to head. The Patriots lost to the Cardinals with Kevin Kolb at QB earlier this season. Forgive my opinion but I would take that losing QB over Kolb. Same goes for that same QB who also lost to Wilson as well.
Look , Tannehill is very promising , I like the pick & the results so far but all this talk after the first few games of the season that he was better than all these other QB's in this class was very premature. So far this seems to be a great QB draft but mind you it is way early for final results. We might be still writing about Tannehill on this board 10 years from now , or in 5 years he can be a stay at home husband supporting his wifes modeling career or carrying a clipboard for the raiders.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:41 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Luck is #29, but he has a 1,000 more passing yards and a winning record..

Luck is having a heck of a rookie season. That #29 ranking is VERY misleading IMO.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Everyone has to come to grips with the fact that this is an incomplete team with a very green trigger man. I don't care that its his offense from college, he still has to learn to read NFL defenses and let the game slow down. I wish that weren't the case and it was a huge advantage, but it is what it is. He's ahead of where most thought he'd be in April but probably behind where many thought he was at the bye week.

I've seen instances of the receiver letting Tannehill down and instances of him letting the receivers down. The ground game hasn't always been there to support him and at times they've had to carry his butt. The defense locks down Tom Brady but has let inferior guys walk all over them.

Trust me, no one is capitalizing on opportunities with any consistency. That is the big problem.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:47 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

jammer wrote:
Everyone has to come to grips with the fact that this is an incomplete team with a very green trigger man. I don't care that its his offense from college, he still has to learn to read NFL defenses and let the game slow down. I wish that weren't the case and it was a huge advantage, but it is what it is. He's ahead of where most thought he'd be in April but probably behind where many thought he was at the bye week.

I've seen instances of the receiver letting Tannehill down and instances of him letting the receivers down. The ground game hasn't always been there to support him and at times they've had to carry his butt. The defense locks down Tom Brady but has let inferior guys walk all over them.

Trust me, no one is capitalizing on opportunities with any consistency. That is the big problem.

Can I get a Amen!

Preach Brother.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I miss Chad Henne and Ted Ginn, man what a duo that was...

Ahh the good ole days

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

10acjed wrote:

Ahh the good ole days

oh man, the way Ginn could burn opposing players on his way to the sideline was clutch. Never got hurt with that method, truly a hall of fame bound player. Also had the surest hands on the team. If there was a ball thrown in the air to anyone, I wanted it to be Ted Ginn jr.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:25 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:

Agreed...BUT, which came first the chicken or the egg? In other words, did Marino make the WRs? With Marino's quick release, did he make the OL? Just trying to be devils advocate here.

You guys are comparing a team built and coached by Don Shula to a team built by Ireland and coached by Philbin???

Its like bringing a knife to a gun fight....

:ann0y:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Miami fans are conditioned to complain, and with good reason. Once you've tasted the success we had in the 70s, and to a lesser extent, the 80s and 90s, it's frustrating to watch us continue to suck year after year.
I think the problem we run into isn't so much people calling for his benching, rather people are boomeranging in their opinions of the kid based on a week by week reaction. Every play, every game is under a microscope. Many are waiting for him to screw up or plateau, while others are so gun shy after all the Henne debates over the years, that they minute they hear similar criticisms they think "here we go again". People want so much to see Miami finally turn the page at the QB postion that we have becoming emotionally hijacked by the situation. It doesn't help that three other rookie qbs (2 drafted ahead of him and 1 behind him) are receiving so much attention and accolades (deservedly so). We are impatient and want to see him outperforming these other guys so that we can finally feel at peace over having the qb we have long awaited for.
What fans need to do though is realize that the qb position requires development and just because one has a good or bad rookie season does not mean they will succeed or fail in this league. Vince Young had a promising rookie year, yet went nowhere in his career. Eli Manning had a poor rookie season yet has won two Super Bowls and twice been the SB MVP. You just have to give it time to develop, but sadly fans no longer have the patience for it. We've become so sick of losing that we want to grab on to instant success. Sadly that is unlikely to happen as every regime change means more rebuilding/retooling. The bottom line is that we have to realize it's going to take time and something we no longer posses; patience.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Well said Phin.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:59 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:

I don't think Marino scrambled for 24yds in a single season...so Tanny has him there

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:03 am

10acjed wrote:

Ahh the good ole days

Ginn will be a FA this year, we could bring his family back to S. Florida

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:06 am

Quote:
People want so much to see Miami finally turn the page at the QB postion that we have becoming emotionally hijacked by the situation.

Well this is partly due to the changes in QBs coming out of college. Years ago when Marino started half way through his rookie season it was unheard of for a rookie to come on the field and have any success at all. I think this is partly due to so many colleges adopting a pro set offense. Whatever the case, rookies either seem to have it or they don't and it is evident pretty much right off the bat. You still have guys that take awhile to develop....Aaron Rodgers, Matty Ice, but you have more that step on the field and show that promise right away. Luck is 30th but he is making big time plays to overcome his mistakes. RGIII and Russell...same thing. RT seems more like Matt Ryan where it might take him 4 years and a world beating WR corps to lead a team to the playoffs. In any case, Miami would be foolish to pass on a QB if the right guy is there in round 1. IMO, you keep drafting until you hit the jackpot. Competition never made anyone worse.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
People want so much to see Miami finally turn the page at the QB postion that we have becoming emotionally hijacked by the situation.

Well this is partly due to the changes in QBs coming out of college. Years ago when Marino started half way through his rookie season it was unheard of for a rookie to come on the field and have any success at all. I think this is partly due to so many colleges adopting a pro set offense. Whatever the case, rookies either seem to have it or they don't and it is evident pretty much right off the bat. You still have guys that take awhile to develop....Aaron Rodgers, Matty Ice, but you have more that step on the field and show that promise right away. Luck is 30th but he is making big time plays to overcome his mistakes. RGIII and Russell...same thing. RT seems more like Matt Ryan where it might take him 4 years and a world beating WR corps to lead a team to the playoffs. In any case, Miami would be foolish to pass on a QB if the right guy is there in round 1. IMO, you keep drafting until you hit the jackpot. Competition never made anyone worse.

I don't know man. Both Mannings had tough first seasons, Eli's was especially not so hot. If he was in Miami we would have given up on him already I think. haha
I think Ryan has shown 'promise' in his rookie year, but I say that with a grain of salt. He could very well flounder in his sophomore season too.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

as high as everyone is on RG3 right now, we could very well see him have a sophomore slump next year while Tannehill has a much improved second year, I think it's more of a learning year for Tanny than it is for Griffin. Griffin is in a simple read and react offense and he's using his natural gifts to make plays. Tannehill is doing a lot of thinking this year because he has a bigger playbook playing in a west coast offense. When the game starts slowing down for him he will look more natural and comfortable and the big plays will come.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:20 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Quote:
Why the Ryan Tannehill hate?

He is a starting QB in the NFL making millions of dollars, and if that wasnt enough he lays down next to a smoking hot aspiring model every night...

I hate that lucky basta*&^

:fart:

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Quote:
I don't know man. Both Mannings had tough first seasons, Eli's was especially not so hot. If he was in Miami we would have given up on him already I think. haha
I think Ryan has shown 'promise' in his rookie year, but I say that with a grain of salt. He could very well flounder in his sophomore season too.

Peyton came in during the 1990s...and yeah he had a tough year. So did Elway back in the 80s. Joe Montana never played until his 3rd year, Steve Young was horrible. Eli is an enigma...if I remember he's never been real good during the regular season....post-season...he's lights out. Tom Brady started in year 2 but still was only given the job due to injury. Tannehill, if he keeps progressing from year to year, will be Miami's QB for a long time. By progressing I don't mean game to game. He's going to have good and bad games. I'm speaking long term, wins losses, QB rating, TD INT ratio etc.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next