View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 | 2013 NFL Free Agency | Wide Receivers | 

| Wallace | Jennings | Bowe|
Mike Wallace 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Greg Jennings 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Dwayne Bowe 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

| 2013 NFL Free Agency | Wide Receivers | 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post | 2013 NFL Free Agency | Wide Receivers |
I am going to start this topic up again (I know and realize free agency is quite some time away) and curious as to what the majority opinion is on these players. Okay Ireland, do you pursue Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe the most aggresively?

In Jennings, I see an injury prone WR in the twilight of his career, no doubt he has experience with Philbin and the system, but his negatives outweigh the positives for the 'Fins long term solution at WR here.

In Wallace, I see arguably the fastest WR in the league, who can dust any corner a team can throw on him. Did any of you catch Ben's short 5 yard dish on that slant out on the 50, and Wallace going Usian Bolt past the entire defensive backfield for 6 pts? His hands have been an issue, but a minor one at that in my opinion. Odds are he is out of Pittsburgh next year, let's go get him.

In Dwayne Bowe...let's be honest, I have not watched many Chiefs games at all. The one I did see however, was against San Diego when Bowe had multiple drops and just an overall terrible game. I am in no way basing my evaluation of him off a single game, but I will focus on the character issues and tell you he resembles B. Marshall. The guy has openly stated his disgust with his current team, and has been public with it, and we do not need a big ego mind f'ing Tannehill.

If I am Ireland, I sign Wallace to a reasonable contract (it can be a bulky one due to the cap space), and hit on a young, fresh stud WR in the first round. Could you imagine the improvement this offense (mostly Tannehill) would see with Bess lined up in the slot again (not forcing him deep and out of his comfort zone like we have to now), and Hartline going up against opponents #2 corners? They would both benefit tremendously, and add Mike Wallace and a possible Keenan Allen/Justin Hunter to that and you easily have the 2nd most explosive offense in the AFC East without discussion. This is a very deep CB draft where as it is not in WR, and we should have no issue hitting on a corner with our 2nds. The past few games have proved to ME that WR is the biggest position of need here.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:59 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: | 2013 NFL Free Agency | Wide Receivers |
we are 0 - 3 with FA WR's right now....

I think I feel better in the draft...

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:42 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

10acjed wrote:

EXACTLY CORRECT. While I know it is every free agents dream to play for the Dolphins & they all really do want to sign here enough is enough already of overpaying for another teams used up talent. They are not being resigned by their teams for a reason. They know better than anyone else when these guys talents are diminishing. It truly is about the draft & then fixing holes with maybe second tier free agents who we will not over pay for.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:27 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

They are not being resigned by their teams for a reason.

+1

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:50 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
10acjed wrote:

EXACTLY CORRECT. While I know it is every free agents dream to play for the Dolphins & they all really do want to sign here enough is enough already of overpaying for another teams used up talent. They are not being resigned by their teams for a reason. They know better than anyone else when these guys talents are diminishing. It truly is about the draft & then fixing holes with maybe second tier free agents who we will not over pay for.

They're not being signed by their teams for a reason? Jennings is the only exception to that, Mike Wallace is leaving Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh isn't leaving him, same goes for Bowe. Pierre Garcon is making tons of noise in Washington's offense with a rookie at QB. Both Pittsburgh and KC ware definitely not looking forward to their departure, they just can't do anything about it. It's actually the opposite of their teams not wanting to resign them.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:54 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

If we resign Hartline, then Wallace is the most logical choice if we go into free agency because he compliments what Bess and Hartline do. He blows the top off the defense and creates more room to work underneath and he is young.

As for the guys saying to draft a wide receiver, we have to wait and see which juniors declare because from what I've seen, the seniors aren't a deep bunch.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:57 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mike Wallace is leaving Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh isn't leaving him, same goes for Bowe

How is that? If Pitts really wanted him,they would pay him or slap the franchise tag on him again.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:58 am

Makchell wrote:
Mike Wallace is leaving Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh isn't leaving him, same goes for Bowe

How is that? If Pitts really wanted him,they would pay him or slap the franchise tag on him again.

I think it might be a question of whether Wallace fits the type of offense Pittsburgh wants to run. They have gone more to a quick passing game and Wallace's stats this season reflect that. They aren't throwing down the field anymore and that just isn't his game.

The other question is what are the Dolphins looking for? They definitely need vertical speed and Wallace is a proven deep threat. He can compliment what Hartline and Bess do underneath and with a guy like Wallace on the outside, defenses will be hard pressed to play 8 in the box, opening up he middle of the field for Bess and Hartline and (hopefully) a new tight end.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:41 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
If we resign Hartline, then Wallace is the most logical choice if we go into free agency because he compliments what Bess and Hartline do. He blows the top off the defense and creates more room to work underneath and he is young.

As for the guys saying to draft a wide receiver, we have to wait and see which juniors declare because from what I've seen, the seniors aren't a deep bunch.

Of the 3 listed Wallace is the only one worth spending money on. However, he seems to be a one trick pony & I'm not sure that & that alone is worth the cash he will want.

Miami needs to spend one of their 2nd & one of their 3rds on WR outside signing one as a FA.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:51 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

There is point where pay & production meet. I believe Pitts values Wallace, but not to the degree of what he is asking for.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:53 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Of the 3 listed Wallace is the only one worth spending money on. However, he seems to be a one trick pony & I'm not sure that & that alone is worth the cash he will want.

Miami needs to spend one of their 2nd & one of their 3rds on WR outside signing one as a FA.

Agreed, can't put all of our eggs in one basket, but some of those eggs need to go toward acquiring a deep threat.

Wallace may be a one trick pony, but that one trick is the kind that can change a game.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
FINesse wrote:
10acjed wrote:

They're not being signed by their teams for a reason? Jennings is the only exception to that, Mike Wallace is leaving Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh isn't leaving him, same goes for Bowe. Pierre Garcon is making tons of noise in Washington's offense with a rookie at QB. Both Pittsburgh and KC ware definitely not looking forward to their departure, they just can't do anything about it. It's actually the opposite of their teams not wanting to resign them.

This. Throw vjaxs name in there for comparison of someone who just wants out....his talent didnt seem to diminish, in fact, he may be on his way to a career year. I think mike wallace could do the same. He is at the age were the "experts" co.sider the "prime years".

New england doesnt seem to have a problem with winning with these "diminishing talents" free agents. The majority of their production at wr for the last 5 years have been free agents, all of which were arguably past thier prime when signed.

Spend big on mike wallace. Proven talent.....cant coach speed.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Greg Jennings + Jermichael Finley. The Packers are going to have to re-sign Rodgers and Matthews as well as several other key players, these two are likely going to be collateral damage in that ordeal. Since Jake and his $15M is likely to walk off the table this year, I say use that $15M to sign Jennings and Finley. Both guys would know the majority of the system, both guys would know some of our staff, and both guys would give Tannehill solid targets. Then we could go after an offensive tackle in round one and a speedy receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round. After that, Tannehill would have a legitimate arsenal at his disposal. Instead of two solid targets he'd then have five (Jennings, Hartline, Bess, Finley, and Bush), maybe six depending on how the rookie turns out.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
Greg Jennings + Jermichael Finley. The Packers are going to have to re-sign Rodgers and Matthews as well as several other key players, these two are likely going to be collateral damage in that ordeal. Since Jake and his $15M is likely to walk off the table this year, I say use that $15M to sign Jennings and Finley. Both guys would know the majority of the system, both guys would know some of our staff, and both guys would give Tannehill solid targets. Then we could go after an offensive tackle in round one and a speedy receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round. After that, Tannehill would have a legitimate arsenal at his disposal. Instead of two solid targets he'd then have five (Jennings, Hartline, Bess, Finley, and Bush), maybe six depending on how the rookie turns out.

Jennings legs appear to going. He is missing a lot of time with leg injuries the past couple of yrs.
So far Finley has been a one yr wonder, which was 2 yrs ago. He should be tearing it up in GB & he is simply not.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:12 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

New england doesnt seem to have a problem with winning with these "diminishing talents" free agents. The majority of their production at wr for the last 5 years have been free agents, all of which were arguably past thier prime when signed.

Agreed, but they also have Tom Brady.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 am

Sign Wallace .... we will be predicting super bowl this summer only to be on the board in December.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:13 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Sign Wallace .... we will be predicting super bowl this summer only to be on the board in December.

THen it will be "wait till next year, heis trying to learn a whole new offense and he needs another WR to take pressure off"

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If these are the only option then Wallace is the choice but holy smokes is he going to require a big contract. Not re-signing Jake Long could now open up that money.

Miami still needs a tall, red zone receiver who can win jump balls. Maybe they look to the draft for that.

Don't forget Miami still has Smith, Starks, Hartline, Bush, Long (I guess), Fasano and a solid backup QB to consider.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Agreed, can't put all of our eggs in one basket, but some of those eggs need to go toward acquiring a deep threat.

Wallace may be a one trick pony, but that one trick is the kind that can change a game.

It is also a trick he does with great success.

I'm not sure he is worth the money being talked about, but give the guy credit, he is a serious deep threat.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Makchell wrote:

THen it will be "wait till next year, heis trying to learn a whole new offense and he needs another WR to take pressure off"

Exactly ... but dont you Miami is his first choice to play for.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Jennings legs appear to going. He is missing a lot of time with leg injuries the past couple of yrs.
So far Finley has been a one yr wonder, which was 2 yrs ago. He should be tearing it up in GB & he is simply not.

I don't know about Jennings legs going, he racked up 2,200 yards, 21 touchdowns, and over 140 catches in 2010 and 2011. He's just been hurt this year. Personally, I hope we get the guy. He's a consumate professional and a team leader. He'd be a great guy to add to the offense and teach our young group what it's all about.

Add Jennings, then draft Terrance Williams (Baylor) or Justin Hunter (Tennessee) to match up across from him. Both guys have good size and speed to stretch the field.

Scratch what I said about Finley, he isn't a free agent. He's signed through 2013. Just draft another tightend. The guy I like is Levine Toilolo from Stanford if he comes out. He's a big redzone threat and a great blocker.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
I don't know about Jennings legs going, he racked up 2,200 yards, 21 touchdowns, and over 140 catches in 2010 and 2011. He's just been hurt this year. Personally, I hope we get the guy. He's a consumate professional and a team leader. He'd be a great guy to add to the offense and teach our young group what it's all about..

He hurt this year & was hurt last year at the end of the yr. The guy has not played much football in over a yr. Plus I'm just not big on paying aging injury prone players big money for production given to another team. This is not a knock on Jennings, but father time is working on him.

wkloiber13 wrote:
then draft Terrance Williams (Baylor) or Justin Hunter (Tennessee) to match up across from him. Both guys have good size and speed to stretch the field...

Either would be nice.

wkloiber13 wrote:
Scratch what I said about Finley, he isn't a free agent. He's signed through 2013. Just draft another tightend. The guy I like is Levine Toilolo from Stanford if he comes out. He's a big redzone threat and a great blocker.

I think GB will cut him.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:49 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Exactly ... but dont you Miami is his first choice to play for.

Everyone forgets that it is the receiver's choice. He's going to the highest bidder, and if a better team matches an offer from Miami then why not go to an easier place to win.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]