View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Fins have invested 1st, 3rd, & 4th round picks for WR in 3yr 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Fins have invested 1st, 3rd, & 4th round picks for WR in 3yr
Chris Shastasy wrote:
As for you Wide Receiver proponents, perhaps stirred up by local talk radio wags, I feel your pain. But I just don’t see how the Dolphins can justify spending their top pick on a guy like Oklahoma State’s Dez Bryant when they have already made a first, third, and fourth round investment in the position over the past three seasons. All of those investments (Ted Ginn, Patrick Turner, and Brian Hartline, respectively) are still on the upswing, development-wise. GM Jeff Ireland is on record as having stated that he likes Ginn “very much”, a sentiment recently echoed by Steelers and fellow Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes.

Phins.com

Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:33 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Fins have invested 1st, 3rd, & 4th round picks for WR in 3yr
Ireland also said Wilson and Ayodele had to step up next season and he believed in them. How's the unemployment line treating them?

Ginn was not a choice by this regime. They have not invested anything in him.

I understand why a lot of people don't want Miami to go after Bryant or feel there are more pressing needs in the early rounds, but to completely ignore very talented WRs just because you used a few picks on the position over a few years is just bad tunnel vision.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:37 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

A WR is not going to take us to the big game this season unless we have a better defense than we did last season...

Porter gone, 2 safety's gone, an ILB gone, NT gone for 8 games, JT is a ?, 2 rookie CB's... We signed one ILB....

Lets be realistic here... We need help on D... If we can shut down opponents from scoring 30+ points on us, and keep teams from doing what NO, Indy, SD, & Hou did we may stand a better chance, Henne & our crew can get some points up, while a nice deep threat WR would be a nice addition, I dont think we have the offensive power to go TD for TD with some teams. And without a defense we will have to....

I think the NJ Jerks proved that anything can happen... Balto went deep in 08 with a rookie QB....

We need to focus on D 1 more year....

OLB - Safety - NT.........

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Take a look at this picks used to fill the QB position over the last 5 to 6 years. Its even worse.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:08 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
A WR is not going to take us to the big game this season unless we have a better defense than we did last season...

Porter gone, 2 safety's gone, an ILB gone, NT gone for 8 games, JT is a ?, 2 rookie CB's... We signed one ILB....

Lets be realistic here... We need help on D... If we can shut down opponents from scoring 30+ points on us, and keep teams from doing what NO, Indy, SD, & Hou did we may stand a better chance, Henne & our crew can get some points up, while a nice deep threat WR would be a nice addition, I dont think we have the offensive power to go TD for TD with some teams. And without a defense we will have to....

I think the NJ Jerks proved that anything can happen... Balto went deep in 08 with a rookie QB....

We need to focus on D 1 more year....

OLB - Safety - NT.........

I dont think anyone is saying a WR is the only missing piece. The argument isnt to spend multiple picks on WR. But if Dez Bryant is the BPA in round 1, or any of the other WRs are in rounds 2,3 or 4 you take that guy because it can help the team. You dont dismiss him because you spent picks on depth WRs last year. Reaching for a position of need is part of why this organization flopped continuously under Wannstedt and Saban. I dont care if its Dan Williams, Sergio Kindle, Joe Haden, Earl Thomas or whoever, if they are BPA and help the team then you pull the trigger.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:45 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

For god sakes folks, Miami has 10 picks and like jammer stated, no one is saying WR is the missing picee. IT is one of the positions on the Dolphins that need to be addressed.

The Dolphins have more than enough picks to address defense and WE all know the defense needs to be addressed. But since when does averaging 22 points a game and being in the middle of the pack makes an offense proficient.

You take 1 WR, you have 9 more picks left to address defense. I guess some of you folks will piss on yourself if Miami selects a TE and OL also.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:01 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
Chris Shastasy wrote:
As for you Wide Receiver proponents, perhaps stirred up by local talk radio wags, I feel your pain. But I just don’t see how the Dolphins can justify spending their top pick on a guy like Oklahoma State’s Dez Bryant when they have already made a first, third, and fourth round investment in the position over the past three seasons. All of those investments (Ted Ginn, Patrick Turner, and Brian Hartline, respectively) are still on the upswing, development-wise. GM Jeff Ireland is on record as having stated that he likes Ginn “very much”, a sentiment recently echoed by Steelers and fellow Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes.

Phins.com

Can we please ignore anything Ireland says? I mean the odds of him telling the truth are about the same as him lying.

We have spent a 1st, 3rd and 4th over 3 years? So what? Last time I checked, we start 2 WR a game (and need up to 4 on the field at a time), so how is spending 3 picks for that "too much?"

Of course, the fact that 2 out of the 3 picks are, at this moment in time, not good enough for the needs we have at the position is completely lost on the author of the piece.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:30 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I hardly think of 3rd and 4th round picks as a likely place to find an offensive superstar. We did well in taking Hartline. Turner never even saw the field with our lackluster passing offense....that speaks volumes. The Ginn pick was the only real effort the team made recently to get a #1 receiver, and sadly it failed.

We also spent a good number of picks for defensive backs....in fact, 3 picks last year:

Rd 1 Vontae Davis
Rd2 Sean Smith
Rd 5 Chris Clemons

I think Davis and Smith have a lot of raw athletism and skill...this upcoming season will tell us a lot about whether or not they become solid NFL CB's.

In 2008, we spent a 2nd and 3rd round pick on two defensive ends, Merling and Langford.....steady players, but certainly not spectacular yet...but there is hope.

....We brought in Porter :cry: and Wake :yay: for pass rush. We brought in Gibril Wilson as a safety :cry: . We brought in Ayodele at LB.

All that, and the defense still stinks.

If we can't play defense, we better score more points. This team needs balance. Even our offense lacks balance. We really have no deep threats in the passing game. Hartline did his best to help us there, but I don't see him as a serious #1 receiver. Ginn is not fit to play in the #1 or #2 slot. Ginn is fine at reverses, sometimes exciting as a returner and might fit in as a situational receiver. Not at all worthy of his lofty draft status.

This team does not have a single explosive player on offense. We have steady contributors in Ronnie (when healthy), Ricky (who is not the breakaway threat he once was), Bess, Camarillo, Polite and Henne. We need a player or two to give us those big chunk plays. If we are going to run all the time, then we better get a runner who can give us a homerun once in awhile. Look at most NFL rosters, and you will see a true #1 WR.....why should we be different?

If Dez Bryant is available at #12 (but I don't think he will be), you have to take the guy. He is the top talent at his position...a vital need for the Dolphins and Henne. The draft is deep at linebacker and D-line...plenty of picks left to address those spots. I would even be happy with Spiller at #12. At least we give our offense a homerun threat that way....I think a guy like Spiller could win us two games with his big play ability.

All that said, I think the team continues to try to find their #1 receiver in later rounds :hithead: and drafts mostly linebacker and D-line this year.....with a safety thrown in. I would not be surprised to see us take Taylor Mayes or another safety in round 1.....

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

well this FO didnt invest in Ginn.....that was an act from the retards we had before.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]