View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Reggie Bush: I want to Stay in Miami and Win a Superbowl 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Reggie Bush: I want to Stay in Miami and Win a Superbowl
Quote:
“I would love to be back here,” Bush told FOX Sports Florida after Sunday’s win. “I don’t want to keep bouncing around from city to city. I would love to be here.”

I really enjoy building something special,” Bush said. “I want to bring a Super Bowl to Miami and kind of restore some of that greatness about the Miami Dolphins. So I look forward to it. It’s like a project almost. You kind of want to build something from scratch. That’s the same thing we did in New Orleans; we built that team from scratch. I look forward to doing the same thing.”

Read More: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... uper-bowl/

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Reggie Bush: I want to Stay in Miami and Win a Superbowl
The Miami-Bush marriage has about as much potential as the Lopez-Anthony marriage you have pictured. He could get a 1 year bargain deal but he isn't a long term answer and hasn't been consistent.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

jammer wrote:
The Miami-Bush marriage has about as much potential as the Lopez-Anthony marriage you have pictured. He could get a 1 year bargain deal but he isn't a long term answer and hasn't been consistent.

What he said. Great analogy jammer.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:33 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I don't see the Reggie Bush not being consistent argument. He was injured in the middle of the season and was put on the bench in favor to "Danielle" Thomas for the past few games. He's shown a great work ethic, great leadership ability, and great running ability. Why would we not want a guy like this on our team?

I like Lamar Miller can be the guy that Bush is including a great consistency, but he hasn't show much this season in his limited opportunities that he can be the guy that replaces Bush. Why are people on this board so eager to get rid of one of the only playmakers on our team?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:32 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I would not mind bringing him back at the right price. Use Reggie correctly, he can be a weapon and he has shown that.

By correctly using Reggie, I mean 14-17 carries and using him in the passing game. Why the Dolphins don't use him more in the passing game is a mystery.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:35 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

TheBigFish wrote:
I don't see the Reggie Bush not being consistent argument.

You must have missed all the negative runs.

Quote:
Why are people on this board so eager to get rid of one of the only playmakers on our team?

He doesn't really make that many plays.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Reggie is a good football player...And this team could use some of those.

The Patriots had a guy like Faulk around for years.(Reggie is way better than Faulk).Never a focal point but always a dynamic weapon. The Saints had Reggie Bush..He wasn't the leading rusher on the team..He made them better though.

This, he has to be a super star to make your team good stuff isn't reality. He fills a role and if it's at a reasonable salary you keep him if he's a good teamate.(which he is)

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If he can stay for a reasonable price, it would be stupid not to keep him. Sure he is not a top of the line RB, but like was said earlier, he is a good teammate, and the guy is talented. If he REALLY wants to stay and will do so at a discount, he would be a good piece to have.

Lets see how bad he wants to stay...

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Bush is still in the prime of his career. If he does stay in Miami, it likely won't be for cheap. Him and his agent know the Dolphins have the most $$$ to throw around in free agency next year. All of this talk about building a Super Bowl team and wanting to stay is nothing but Bush saying everything he can to get the fans behind him.

I'd personally rather see us draft someone next year and put some of that money into finding some receivers, cornerbacks, and offensive linemen that can fix some of our areas of need. Runningbacks are a dime a dozen, you can find a good one in almost any round.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:41 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

"The right price" is the key to all of this. Miami has a lot of money to spend but overpaying for Bush isn't wise.

He brings good intangibles and still has homerun ability, but they'll need to improve the line play or open up some room for him to work underneath in the passing game.

If he accepts a Kevin Faulk role and contract then I'm on board. But if he wants 4-5 years at 20+ million then I say no.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
"The right price" is the key to all of this. Miami has a lot of money to spend but overpaying for Bush isn't wise.

He brings good intangibles and still has homerun ability, but they'll need to improve the line play or open up some room for him to work underneath in the passing game.

If he accepts a Kevin Faulk role and contract then I'm on board. But if he wants 4-5 years at 20+ million then I say no.

He's only 27 years old, he's still in his prime. No way he takes a dirt cheap contract like that. He's probably worth $5M a season. Either the Dolphins are willing to pay that or they aren't. It's as simple as that.

Personally, I'd rather see us draft someone and pay the kid $500K a season. Then we could free up that money and use it to find receivers, cornerbacks, and offensive linemen (areas of need). With good young backs like Daniel Thomas (2nd round pick) and Lamar Miller (4th round pick), we need to see what they've got.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:26 pm
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

..... and with what team's offensive line or with what team's owner or with what team's nfl caliber starters does he plan on winning a SB with?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:39 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Actually Thomas and Bush complement each other well. When one is injured, the other is usually healthy. When one is running well, the other one is non-existent. So far its been a fairly good combination for Miami. I think Bush's days might be numbered by a young Lamar Miller who learns how to pass block.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:53 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
TheBigFish wrote:

Quote:
Why are people on this board so eager to get rid of one of the only playmakers on our team?

He doesn't really make that many plays.

You must have missed the piss poor blocking our o-line has displayed the past four or so games. And he doesn't make that many plays? Why don't you go back and watch all of his touchdowns from this season. Then show me plays from other members of our offense that even come close to comparing.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Actually Thomas and Bush complement each other well. When one is injured, the other is usually healthy. When one is running well, the other one is non-existent. So far its been a fairly good combination for Miami. I think Bush's days might be numbered by a young Lamar Miller who learns how to pass block.

I agree, Thomas and Miller could carry the load. We've invested a 2nd and a 4th in these two guys, we need to get them out there and see what we have. Next year I don't think we're going to want to pay Bush the type of money he'll likely command. This year Bush is a necessity because Miller is still developming. But next year Bush will become a luxury. A draft pick is a much cheaper and smarter option for us next year. Let Thomas and Miller take the reigns, pick up a 3rd option via the draft, and use the excess money to fill holes in the roster.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
TheBigFish wrote:

That is the problem I have with Bush. Way to many negative runs. He does not produce like a feature back. He lacks the size and toughness to run the ball consistently between the tackles without getting injured.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 am

Lets see what he says after his next fumble.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:40 am

TheBigFish wrote:
You must have missed the piss poor blocking our o-line has displayed the past four or so games.

Not at all, but there have been plenty of opportunities for Bush to cut it up field and he continues trying to get to the outside and winds up losing yards.

Quote:
And he doesn't make that many plays? Why don't you go back and watch all of his touchdowns from this season.

All five touchdowns? After a great start, he has made two plays in the past 9 games then.

Quote:
Then show me plays from other members of our offense that even come close to comparing.

So are you arguing that he is a playmaker by default? Because comparing him to other members of the offense is like comparing the QBs on the Arizona roster.

Not much to see.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IMO, the Dolphins don't use Bush enough in the passing game and create more mismatches. In fact, I am shocked that they don't line him up in the slot and purposely create more linebackers covering him. Get him into open space where he is the most dangerous.

Also, this season, after the first Jets game and he was hurt, he was a different player for a number of games after that injury and is just now looking like he has a step back again.

If Miami can sign Bush to something reasonable, you certainly keep him.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:32 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
IMO, the Dolphins don't use Bush enough in the passing game and create more mismatches. In fact, I am shocked that they don't line him up in the slot and purposely create more linebackers covering him. Get him into open space where he is the most dangerous.

Also, this season, after the first Jets game and he was hurt, he was a different player for a number of games after that injury and is just now looking like he has a step back again.

If Miami can sign Bush to something reasonable, you certainly keep him.

I wonder if the coaches find him to be a reliable receiving target. I seem to recall a few boneheaded drops over the last two years. Maybe that is unfair because he isn't racking up targets but the one target I saw him get against the Bills he dropped in a key 3rd down situation...and that was a quick dump off pass. I'd hate to see him struggling with fastballs and costing the team in key situations.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Jammer, it might be reps as when he was with Brees in New Orleans, they utilized him more in that type of a role than at pure running back as one year he had 88 catches, another 73, so I believe he has the proven track record of being productive as that scat back type.

Most NFL teams seem to be a running back by committee more so nowadays and I believe Miami will also continue to do so. Unless you are blessed with an Adrian Peterson type of back and I still even with last year's production and flashes this season that Reggie is just not that type of back.

Maybe if he gets more reps out catching passes they can get him back in a rhythm but that does not look like the MO for Sherman using him. If they bring him back next season, I would envision him being more of a change of pace back and third down guy.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:28 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't think we've done a great job of using him to his strengths. I'd also agree that he has lacked some consistency. He isn't one to gain positive yardage inside of 5 yards if the hole isn't already there for him. Some running backs will make their own yardage and fall forward for a gain when blocking breaks down. Bush seems to need a little bit of space to operate in; you give him that and his becomes a home run threat. Again, it's about getting him the ball in situations where he is likely to succeed. I personally think the combination of him and Thomas can be successful, but I think that won't happen until our Oline is fixed. Right now we are relying on our backs to block for us in the passing game too much.
I also think Lamar Miller needs more touches. He "may" be the solution to losing Bush in free agency. He also makes a great backup to Bush should he come down with injury. Again though: fix the oline, adjust the playcalling to benefit the personell and see what happens.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:45 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
TheBigFish wrote:
You must have missed the piss poor blocking our o-line has displayed the past four or so games.

Not at all, but there have been plenty of opportunities for Bush to cut it up field and he continues trying to get to the outside and winds up losing yards.

Quote:
And he doesn't make that many plays? Why don't you go back and watch all of his touchdowns from this season.

All five touchdowns? After a great start, he has made two plays in the past 9 games then.

Quote:
Then show me plays from other members of our offense that even come close to comparing.

So are you arguing that he is a playmaker by default? Because comparing him to other members of the offense is like comparing the QBs on the Arizona roster.

Not much to see.

True, so I would want to keep him until we have somebody to step up and take over as our primary playmaker. He's the best RB on our roster, and getting rid of him only takes away from the already piss-poor supporting cast Tannehill is given. He's got two less touchdowns than Adrian Peterson. Arguably he'd have more without the injuries.

I'm not saying he's our AP or Doug Martin, but he's the best player on our offense. Without him, it'd be even more pathetic.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 am

TheBigFish wrote:
True, so I would want to keep him until we have somebody to step up and take over as our primary playmaker. He's the best RB on our roster, and getting rid of him only takes away from the already piss-poor supporting cast Tannehill is given. He's got two less touchdowns than Adrian Peterson. Arguably he'd have more without the injuries.

I'm not saying he's our AP or Doug Martin, but he's the best player on our offense. Without him, it'd be even more pathetic.

I can agree with resigning him for the right price. He is an effective player, but I'm hesitant to call him a playmaker. I just don't see it right now.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I have been saying that the offseason will bring cuts in veteran players. Some that Miami fans might not want to see.
Philbin wants this team full of his guys.
Not overhyped, underproducing sort-of stars.

I say 80-20 Bush is gone.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:29 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
TheBigFish wrote:

I can agree with resigning him for the right price. He is an effective player, but I'm hesitant to call him a playmaker. I just don't see it right now.

I agree, I wouldn't overpay for any player. I'd call him a playmaker, just not a consistent one, but I think that's due to injuries. But it's useless arguing semantics, we both know that some of his touchdown runs have been fantastic.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:
I have been saying that the offseason will bring cuts in veteran players. Some that Miami fans might not want to see.
Philbin wants this team full of his guys.
Not overhyped, underproducing sort-of stars.

I say 80-20 Bush is gone.

I agree, Philbin, Sherman, and Coyle want to build a team with their players. This season is merely a tryout for many of our veteran soon to be free agents. Those who can adapt and play well will likely be retained. Those who struggle or are inconsistent will likely be gone, even if they are popular. You say 80/20, I'd go a step further and say 90/10.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]