View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Tannehill's 4th quarter today 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Tannehill's 4th quarter today
Outside of the stupidest INT you'll ever see that got called back, he lit it up today in the 4th.

Not sure what happened, but he was a completely different QB in the 4th. Actually decided to use his legs, was really comfortable, accurate...great to see.

Hopefully the 1st of many 4th quarter comebacks!

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Tannehill's 4th quarter today
Hopefully this is a step forward for him. Great to see him lead a comeback & game winning drive.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Both picks thrown to the same linebacker. Only a penalty saved the second pick, and the game. Tannehill came up big in the final two drives, yes....but that penalty saved his butt. Clay was awesome. I have been wanting to see them use that guy more and they leaned on him today. The running game was also fantastic and that was another huge factor in the victory.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Tannehill got a second chance reprieve after that second pick got called back from that penalty. As soon as he had the ball after that, he really was poised and took over leading the comeback. Nice to see.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It was great to see him attack down field in the 4th quarter. Especially on that last series when they were backed way up. But this was a team win for sure. The defense came up with a huge stop late in the game to get the ball back with a chance to win. Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas had a great day running the ball. And Carpenter actually made a clutch FG.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Both picks thrown to the same linebacker. Only a penalty saved the second pick, and the game. Tannehill came up big in the final two drives, yes....but that penalty saved his butt.

I seem to recall a lot of people here pointing out how many dropped picks saved Luck in that tough loss. I don't know if today was a turning point or a mirage, but I think we need to give the kid a break and some credit. He finally engineered a 4th Qtr comeback and it was against a tough defense.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Both picks thrown to the same linebacker. Only a penalty saved the second pick, and the game. Tannehill came up big in the final two drives, yes....but that penalty saved his butt.

I seem to recall a lot of people here pointing out how many dropped picks saved Luck in that tough loss. I don't know if today was a turning point or a mirage, but I think we need to give the kid a break and some credit. He finally engineered a 4th Qtr comeback and it was against a tough defense.

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:28 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

7/9 156 1TD in the 4th. I will take it. Yeah he got a reprieve on the penalty but the bad calls have also definitely gone against us too this season.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:31 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

So what that a penalty brought it back. What if Smith would have picked off Luck twice? What if Bess didn't fall? Give the kid some credit. He did what I wanted to see him do. The game is in his hands agasint a winning playoff team. Good for Tanny, let's build off it.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It was great to see him get back on the horse after the penalty saved the pick, but....both picks we're ugly. His final drive showed that he rebounds well from mistakes and that is something to build on, but those ugly picks have to go away. The second one should have simply been a throwaway.....he forced it.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:37 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Makchell wrote:
So what that a penalty brought it back. What if Smith would have picked off Luck twice? What if Bess didn't fall? Give the kid some credit. He did what I wanted to see him do. The game is in his hands agasint a winning playoff team. Good for Tanny, let's build off it.

What Mak said. I also agree that it was huge that Miami got the run game going today against a top 10 defense against the run.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah, Tannehill came out and looked terrible early on. But then he settled down and had a very good game in the 2nd half. We beat a good team today. I was especially proud of the way the rest of the team helped Tannehill out early when he was struggling. The defense kept the Seahawks from scoring after the INT. The offensive line and runningbacks did a good job of getting some yards on the ground. It was exactly what your supposed to do with a struggling rookie quarterback, overcome and help the kid out.

Also, there was a lot of talk about teams having figured us out lately. They said that teams had enough game tape to know how to prepare for and shut down our offense. I have to admit, I was starting to think it myself after the past two weeks. But today, we put up 24 points on a very good Seattle defense. The offense struggled early, but we opened things up and did pretty much what we wanted to them in the 2nd half. It was good to see us play this way, and not only that, but to play this way at home and get the win.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:30 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Kudos to RT. I've been waiting for this for some time. A real 4th quarter comeback where the game is won or lost on his arm. Different QB after that called back INT. Seemed to have a little more resolve. You have to like that. After that INT was called back I thought for sure he'd go into a funk. Completely the opposite. Definitely worth building on. He finally started making some plays with his feet...so happy to see that happen. That opens up so much more opportunity. Anyway, Goliath comes to town next week...so the joy will be shortlived.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Kudos to RT. I've been waiting for this for some time. A real 4th quarter comeback where the game is won or lost on his arm. Different QB after that called back INT. Seemed to have a little more resolve. You have to like that. After that INT was called back I thought for sure he'd go into a funk. Completely the opposite. Definitely worth building on. He finally started making some plays with his feet...so happy to see that happen. That opens up so much more opportunity. Anyway, Goliath comes to town next week...so the joy will be shortlived.

give it time, you'll hate him again next week. LOL

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

After a Seattle kick-return TD put Miami down again, Tannehill directed a tying 80-yard drive that featured a critical 18-yard third-down completion and ended with a 29-yard scoring toss to Charles Clay.

Then came Tannehill’s defining moments.

Game tied, 90 yards to go, 1:32 on the clock and only one timeout.

Situations like this formed the legend Marino became, remember?

“I needed to step up,” said the rookie, the Heir to the Air.

He would complete three passes on that drive, including one of 25 yards to Bess. He had a 15-yard run, too. He worked the clock and the field as if he’d been born to do it. He made it easy for Dan Carpenter on the winning 43-yard field goal.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/25/3 ... rylink=cpy

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 pm

swerve13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Life is too short to hate anyone not named Saban. I'm practical....today by no means coronates him as the 2nd coming but it did show he is adjusting. Again today was his best outing as a pro because he made mistakes and overcame them. That's a big step. But he's got 5 more weeks of training camp to go.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Life is too short to hate anyone not named Saban. I'm practical....today by no means coronates him as the 2nd coming but it did show he is adjusting. Again today was his best outing as a pro because he made mistakes and overcame them. That's a big step. But he's got 5 more weeks of training camp to go.

your definition of Practical and mine are different.
Is it practical to put such great expectations on a rookie with a mediocre supporting cast?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

5 more weeks of training camp? Take a look at the playoff standings brother. We're one game behind the Steelers (just lost to Cleveland today and play Baltimore next week) and 1/2 a game behind the Bengals (we own the tiebreaker / they have to play on the road in San Diego next week). If we find a way to upset the Patriots, and the Steelers and Bengals both loose, we're back in at 6-6! While it's unlikely to happen, especially us winning, we are at home and stranger things have happened.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Look , it was a nice win. A game winning drive by our rookie QB & clutch performances by our PK & RB (who both will not be here next season) was finally nice to see. 3 losses in a row or not however this was another one of those games that we should win. At home against just a terrible road team. While I know the Giants won the super bowl at 9-7 we are not them. We are still a losing team but thankfully in an AFC that once again appears weaker than expected. Hopefully this win propels us to that elite status but in sticking to my original posts , this needs to be the season because of what I still call a favorable schedule. We have seen this before with this team & next season reality just might set in & the philbin honeymoon , this is a great staff , this staff actually teaches .... all the cliches Dolphin fans use about every regime will once again me memories.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:35 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Tannehill actually led 3 game tying or winning drives in the 4th quarter.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

A good way to evaluate Tannehill is by asking how many teams in the NFL would prefer having him as their future rather than their current guy. Based on what he has flashed I'd say quite a few teams would be in that category. Some of what he does is painful to watch but I think we should feel pretty good about him going forward.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:47 am

Quote:
your definition of Practical and mine are different.
Is it practical to put such great expectations on a rookie with a mediocre supporting cast?

Here we go again with the adnauseum posts about how anyone critical of the golden boy's play on the field gets villified by the non-objective homers. please re-post where I put unreasonable expectations on him? All I've ever asked him to do is show improvement. In the "like to see" catagory I put the stuff a lot of other nice rookie QBs are doing like comeback wins etc.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:03 am

Quote:
5 more weeks of training camp? Take a look at the playoff standings brother. We're one game behind the Steelers (just lost to Cleveland today and play Baltimore next week) and 1/2 a game behind the Bengals (we own the tiebreaker / they have to play on the road in San Diego next week). If we find a way to upset the Patriots, and the Steelers and Bengals both loose, we're back in at 6-6! While it's unlikely to happen, especially us winning, we are at home and stranger things have happened.

Let me get this right...rookie QB, "no supporting cast" according to you and swerve and you're talking playoffs; furthermore, I'm the one with unrealistic expectations of the rookie QB. LOL. Okay, you go with it. As for me, I'll keep enjoying these games without any expectations.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 am

Quote:
Tannehill actually led 3 game tying or winning drives in the 4th quarter.
Really...any in the final two-three minutes of the game? The point you're trying to dismiss is this was all RT. This wasn't a long drive started at the beginning of the 4th quarter...this was a game ending, you have to make the throws or Miami loses type of comeback.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:09 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
The point you're trying to dismiss

Don't flatter yourself.

I am not trying to dismiss anything or responding to anyone in particular. I was just pointing out what happened in the game.

I knew your state just legalized pot, but you should tone it down a bit. When consumed in large amounts, it makes you paranoid.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:12 am

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Don't flatter yourself.

I am not trying to dismiss anything or responding to anyone in particular. I was just pointing out what happened in the game.

I knew your state just legalized pot, but you should tone it down a bit. When consumed in large amounts, it makes you paranoid.

Rich would know....

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:16 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Don't flatter yourself.

Rich would know....

STOP STALKING ME!!!

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:22 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Hey Rich, let's not forget about the drives that RT had when our kicker missed.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Makchell wrote:

Would Omar have counted those as KILLS if Carpenter had made them?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Would Omar have counted those as KILLS if Carpenter had made them?

They would have been unofficial kills for David Garrard had he been the QB.

I may have mentioned this before, but Omar's nickname "Sho'nuff" for Tannehill has to be the worst ever created.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 pm

jammer wrote:
I may have mentioned this before, but Omar's nickname "Sho'nuff" for Tannehill has to be the worst ever created.

Sho nuff....

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Don't flatter yourself.

If I'm smoking pot dude, it is so I can understand your posts. RT had drives die in long FG range where a first down would've made the FG that much more makeable. Getting the ball on the 45 and not picking up a first down, settling for a missed FG isn't a drive. However, you love to split hairs, its what you do. If you can't see that yesterday's game for him was a step up from those others, then nothing I can say will help settle that for you.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:34 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
If I'm smoking pot dude, it is so I can understand your posts.

Maybe you're not understanding my post because you're confusing them with someone else's.

Let me say it again.

I am not dismissing anything. I'm not even responding to anything you've said in this thread.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't read your previous posts in this thread, so I am not sure what you're even arguing.

I think you need to go back and read and make sure you're directing your comments to the right person.

All I did was point out that yesterday Tannehill led three drives that either tied the game or put the team in the lead, which is a FACT seeing as how we entered the fourth quarter down 14-7 and scored 17 points in it. I haven't made mention of anything that happened in any previous games, so I don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

Let me get this right...rookie QB, "no supporting cast" according to you and swerve and you're talking playoffs; furthermore, I'm the one with unrealistic expectations of the rookie QB. LOL. Okay, you go with it. As for me, I'll keep enjoying these games without any expectations.

I was just eluding to the fact that we're still in the hunt. I never said we'll make it. The odds are definitely against us having to play New England twice and San Francisco away. But you never know. All it takes is a spark, one win, and a team can go on a winning streak. We won three in a row earlier this year and got over .500. It's not completely unrealistic that we can't do that again.

Are the holes in this roster glaring? Yes. Do we still have a ways to go with this most recent rebuild? Yes. But you can also see the signs that we've picked up some core pieces and signs that these coaches/systems have great potential.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Don't flatter yourself.

If I'm smoking pot dude, it is so I can understand your posts. RT had drives die in long FG range where a first down would've made the FG that much more makeable. Getting the ball on the 45 and not picking up a first down, settling for a missed FG isn't a drive. However, you love to split hairs, its what you do. If you can't see that yesterday's game for him was a step up from those others, then nothing I can say will help settle that for you.

Junkie, I get your point that it wasn't a drive. But the fact remains, Carpenter missed the kick and it wasn't due to distance. It was due to him shanking it wide. Is it a difficult kick? Not really. Kickers make those types of kicks every single week in games. Carpenter makes those types of kicks every single day in practice. So to blame the offense for not making the kick easier, that's just silly. The guy is paid to be money inside of 50 yards. That's the standard around the NFL. You want guys who are as close to automatic inside of 50 yards as they can be. Carpenter over his career has been that guy. But his year he's missed some very makeable kicks, many of which have had a direct impact on the outcome of games.. While the offense hasn't been great this year, it's been good enough to win the majority of our games. I still think that Carpenter has cost us at least two games this year.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What is really amazing is that the Phins can win any game with the piss poor weapons that they have on the team.

; )

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
What is really amazing is that the Phins can win any game with the piss poor weapons that they have on the team.

; )

It's astounding to me really ..... We have two receivers placing in the Top 20 in yards and there are people who actually believe that.

This offense has seen struggles because the O-line/rushing has been inconsistent, we've had a rookie QB learning how to adjust to defenses who adjusted to him after film was out, and Sherman learning how to use what we had ..... not to mention the receivers learning how to operate within the offense.

I just don't feel the way a lot of guys do anymore about this situation. I see what happens when we're clicking. We still need another weapon, but it's not dire straights.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Dolphins WR @davonebess is 285 yards away from his first 1,000 yard receiving season. He averages 65 receiving yards per game.

Dolphins WR @brianhartline is 193 yards from his first 1,000 yard season. He's averaging 73 receiving yards per game this season.

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly

I hope we can get rid of these piss poor guys and get some real starting nfl receivers on the Phins next year.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
Dolphins WR @davonebess is 285 yards away from his first 1,000 yard receiving season. He averages 65 receiving yards per game.

Dolphins WR @brianhartline is 193 yards from his first 1,000 yard season. He's averaging 73 receiving yards per game this season.

I hope we can get rid of these piss poor guys and get some real starting nfl receivers on the Phins next year.

LOL ....

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

LOL ....

You don't think the fact that Tannehill is the starter has any bearing on those numbers whatsoever? While I understand that Tannehill isn't turning water into wine here. Each guy is having a career year because of Tannehill and the receiver friendly system we have.

But no matter how good their numbers are, it's primarily because we only have two legitimate receivers on the roster right now for Tannehill to throw to. If a 3rd or even 4th legitimate option emerged, their numbers would take a significant hit as Tannehill would likely spread the ball around. Tannehill throws to the open receiver, Clay's production this week is a testament to that.

All anyone is really pointing out is we need more receivers, more specifically a speedy deep threat and a large physical redzone threat. They don't need to be elite, they just need to be sure handed and as good at what they do as Hartline and Bess are. Hartline is a solid possession receiver. Bess is a solid slot receiver. We simply need a couple more guys to fill the other needed roles. If we could add two more sure handed guys that run good routes, we'd be set.

Just because Hartline and Bess are having a good year doesn't mean the receiver corps is set and doesn't need serious help.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next