View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:20 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder? 
Author Message
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 9333
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
Clay found some holes in the defense, and caught the ball very well. Good that he and Tannehill seem to have found some good chemistry. Tannehill's passes to Clay were on target and got him in stride.

Quote:
Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay.

He had seven catches for 91 yards receiving all season. He had six catches for 84 yards and a 29-yard touchdown on Sunday. Was this a one-game wonder or who he can be consistently? Because this offense needs a tight end who can open up defenses.


http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 8638.story

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:49 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6199
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
If Tannehill didn't miss the throw it would have been two games in a row with a 20+ yard TD catch for Clay.

They definitely have the potential to do some serious damage against opposing defenses.


Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:49 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
jammer wrote:
If Tannehill didn't miss the throw it would have been two games in a row with a 20+ yard TD catch for Clay.

They definitely have the potential to do some serious damage against opposing defenses.


What play to Clay are you talking about?

I have heard this over and over. I missed the 1st half of the Bills game but went back and looked for this play. Can't find it.

Do you remember around what time it was?


Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21972
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
Phins Rock wrote:
jammer wrote:
If Tannehill didn't miss the throw it would have been two games in a row with a 20+ yard TD catch for Clay.

They definitely have the potential to do some serious damage against opposing defenses.


What play to Clay are you talking about?

I have heard this over and over. I missed the 1st half of the Bills game but went back and looked for this play. Can't find it.

Do you remember around what time it was?


It was late in the game, I believe it was the drive in which Tannehill threw an INT.

Clay was running a post down the middle and was wide open and Tannehill threw it too far to the left.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21972
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
Here's the play in the 3rd quarter with about 5 minutes left:

DRIVE TOTALS: MIA 7, BUF 19, 3 plays, -2 yards, 1:38 elapsed
Miami Dolphins at 5:01 MIA BUF
1st and 10 at MIA 36 (Shotgun) D.Thomas left guard to MIA 35 for -1 yards (S.Merriman).
2nd and 11 at MIA 35 R.Tannehill pass short middle to B.Hartline to 50 for 15 yards (J.Rogers). Caught at MIA 49, crossing from right.
1st and 10 at 50 D.Thomas up the middle to BUF 45 for 5 yards (A.Carrington, G.Wilson).
2nd and 5 at BUF 45 R.Tannehill pass incomplete deep right to B.Hartline. Thrown wide of receiver, along sideline at BUF 15.
3rd and 5 at BUF 45 (Shotgun) PENALTY on BUF-M.Williams, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 45 - No Play.
1st and 10 at BUF 40 D.Thomas right tackle to BUF 40 for no gain (K.Sheppard; J.Byrd).
2nd and 10 at BUF 40 (Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass incomplete deep middle to C.Clay. Thrown wide of receiver at BUF 23, crossing from right.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:53 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 477
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
Clay caught that touchdown pass out of the backfield, not as a tight end. He was lined up as a near-side fullback and ran a wheel route...

Not that it makes a huge difference, but a fullback running a wheel route is a lot more difficult to cover than a tight end running a seam route. Would be nice if the Dolphins had both...


Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
The more players we can get in the passing game the better. RT made some decent reads yesterday. And it was a great fingertip grab by Clay no doubt.

Not sure about Clay's blocking tho, pretty sure he missed a few blocks that caused negative plays.
Those outside stretch plays seem to go nowhere most of the time.

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:28 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6199
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
MNDolfan wrote:
Clay caught that touchdown pass out of the backfield, not as a tight end. He was lined up as a near-side fullback and ran a wheel route...

Not that it makes a huge difference, but a fullback running a wheel route is a lot more difficult to cover than a tight end running a seam route. Would be nice if the Dolphins had both...


The TD pass yes, but he had a bunch of catches and I don't think all were him lined up as a fullback. I agree it would be nice if he could be both.

Tannehill, Clay, Thomas, Martin, etc. all need the same thing...consistency. No doubt there is some young talent on this team but it needs to develop into consistent production. Otherwise Miami will always be a .500 team that wows you one week and crushes you the next.

Lets hope this Sunday is a trap game and Clay does some damage in the Red Zone for points.


Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:46 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
Rich wrote:
Here's the play in the 3rd quarter with about 5 minutes left:

DRIVE TOTALS: MIA 7, BUF 19, 3 plays, -2 yards, 1:38 elapsed
Miami Dolphins at 5:01 MIA BUF
1st and 10 at MIA 36 (Shotgun) D.Thomas left guard to MIA 35 for -1 yards (S.Merriman).
2nd and 11 at MIA 35 R.Tannehill pass short middle to B.Hartline to 50 for 15 yards (J.Rogers). Caught at MIA 49, crossing from right.
1st and 10 at 50 D.Thomas up the middle to BUF 45 for 5 yards (A.Carrington, G.Wilson).
2nd and 5 at BUF 45 R.Tannehill pass incomplete deep right to B.Hartline. Thrown wide of receiver, along sideline at BUF 15.
3rd and 5 at BUF 45 (Shotgun) PENALTY on BUF-M.Williams, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 45 - No Play.
1st and 10 at BUF 40 D.Thomas right tackle to BUF 40 for no gain (K.Sheppard; J.Byrd).
2nd and 10 at BUF 40 (Shotgun) R.Tannehill pass incomplete deep middle to C.Clay. Thrown wide of receiver at BUF 23, crossing from right.



Thanks. Bad miss....although I don't see how that would have likely been a TD, Jammer?


Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:31 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6199
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
Phins Rock wrote:
Thanks. Bad miss....although I don't see how that would have likely been a TD, Jammer?


He had the defender beat and an open road ahead of him. A thousand things could happen to prevent the TD, including sprinkler malfunction, but I think he goes for 6.


Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21972
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
MNDolfan wrote:
Clay caught that touchdown pass out of the backfield, not as a tight end. He was lined up as a near-side fullback and ran a wheel route...

Not that it makes a huge difference, but a fullback running a wheel route is a lot more difficult to cover than a tight end running a seam route. Would be nice if the Dolphins had both...


Clay caught other passes, some lined up at tight end.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:08 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Thanks. Bad miss....although I don't see how that would have likely been a TD, Jammer?


He had the defender beat and an open road ahead of him. A thousand things could happen to prevent the TD, including sprinkler malfunction, but I think he goes for 6.


It would have been a big play, but I don't see a TD on it....Although this is a pointless argument lol.

Looks like there is a safety in position to make a tackle, or at least slow him down enough for the two trailers to make a play on him.


Image

Image


Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:14 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 6199
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
If he hits him in stride that is a lot of real estate in front of him.


Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:24 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: Welcome to the 2012, Charles Clay ... one game wonder?
If Clay and Tannehill can get on the same page then the offense will take one step closer to where it needs to be. Having a versatile FB/TE like Clay gives Sherman a lot of options in the passing game.


Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:31 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.